Hull City 3 West Ham Utd 3 (21/11/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Hull City 3 West Ham Utd 3 (21/11/09)

Post by -DL- »

BBC Sport wrote:Striker Carlton Cole is set to return from injury to West Ham's depleted frontline for the Premier League visit to fellow strugglers Hull on Saturday.

Cole, the club's top scorer this season with six league goals, was taken off with a hamstring strain in the 2-1 home win over Aston Villa on 4 November.

The 26-year-old missed the defeat by Everton and England's loss to Brazil.

"The Everton game was a bit too soon, but now I can just focus on Hull and try to get a result there," he said.

His return is is a timely boost for the Hammers as fears grow that former England striker Dean Ashton could be forced to retire from the game with a serious ankle injury at the age of 25.

Newspaper reports have suggested Cole could be a £20m transfer target for Manchester United in the January transfer window.

Club officials stress he is not for sale, and the side need their best players as they sit third from bottom of the table.

The Hammers are a point behind 17th-placed Hull, with 10 points from 12 matches.

In Cole's absence, West Ham had no established Premier League forwards available for selection and had to rely on 20-year-old Zavon Hines and close-season recruit Guillermo Franco against Everton.

"I'm trying to play well and stay up there with the top scorers in the Premier League," Cole told the club's official website.

"All I can do is keep tucking them away and hopefully I can progress and get to 10 before Christmas, because that is my target."
Good news :thup:

1-2 to The Hammers
Last edited by -DL- on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc the Hammer

Re: Cole comeback to boost West Ham

Post by Marc the Hammer »

Fantastic news i feel alot more confident about going up there and nicking 3 points.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Marc the Hammer wrote:Fantastic news i feel alot more confident about going up there and nicking 3 points.
au contrare mon frere

We are heading North to dominate for 90 minutes and come home with a morale boosting 4-0 stuffing of a poor side .

:crest:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

the pink palermo wrote:
au contrare mon frere

:crest:
You are Bubbles Devere and I claim my £1.12 :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Hull share the nasty records for lowest scorers and highest conceders.

Cole and Franco, with Hines and/or The Diamond at one end.

Green and Upson at the other.

3-3
:lol:
-DL-
Bag Man

Re: Hull City Vs West Ham Match Thread

Post by -DL- »

As we seem to be having predictions for the game, have changed it to my 1st Match Thread! :raver:
m-h

Post by m-h »

DL,
hope it brings a win with it and starts a run of wins !!. 1-3 Noble to start and score. 3 points bagged and bring on the Burnley.
We really need these two games.Cheers.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

"Striker Carlton Cole is set to return from injury to West Ham's depleted frontline"

I like that 'depleted'. He IS the front line ffs. I guess we've got others who can stick one in thank God
leveller

Post by leveller »

BBC Sport wrote:Newspaper reports have suggested Cole could be a £20m transfer target for Manchester United in the January transfer window.
:shock: Are they sure they've got the right Cole here :lol: , absolutely silly money for Carlton Cole and there is probably no truth in the claim but if there is then I would suggest we take the money and run. Providing that is the money will be made available for transfers with the intention of bringing in, amongst other things a 20-25 goals a season striker.

I've got nothing against Carlton Cole, I'm really pleased that he should be back for the Hull game and think he generally gives 110% every game but every player has their price.

As for the Hull game, haven't managed to get to hardly any away games so far this season and Saturday will be my first one since Wolves. Really looking forward to it, a proper six pointer, lets go up there and raise the roof :crest:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

BBC Sport wrote:Newspaper reports have suggested Cole could be a £20m transfer target for Manchester United in the January transfer window.
leveller wrote:
:shock: Are they sure they've got the right Cole here :lol: , absolutely silly money for Carlton Cole and there is probably no truth in the claim but if there is then I would suggest we take the money and run. Providing that is the money will be made available for transfers with the intention of bringing in, amongst other things a 20-25 goals a season striker.I've got nothing against Carlton Cole, I'm really pleased that he should be back for the Hull game and think he generally gives 110% every game but every player has their price.

As for the Hull game, haven't managed to get to hardly any away games so far this season and Saturday will be my first one since Wolves. Really looking forward to it, a proper six pointer, lets go up there and raise the roof :crest:
Who do you have in mind ? For £20- £25m .

And you're being double harsh on Cole .
The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Ilunga came off worse I suppose. Any news on his injury?
leveller

Post by leveller »

the pink palermo wrote:Who do you have in mind ? For £20- £25m .

I don't claim to be an expert in the transfer market but with those sorts of funds available I wouldn't have thought we would have much trouble getting a striker of that calibre, when you consider we sold Bellamy for £14m and bought Ashton for £7m.

As I said, I have never had a problem with Cole as I think he's always given his all for West Ham, even when people were booing him. Just the £20m price tag is super inflated if you ask me, I would have thought we would have got about £10m for him seeing as he is at his peak. Plus goals per game wise I can't see him ever getting past 10-12 goals per season max, he can be very good on the ball etc, but he misses 3 or 4 good chances before he scores one and this is an area he has failed to improve on IMO.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

the pink palermo wrote:Who do you have in mind ? For £20- £25m .

leveller wrote:
I don't claim to be an expert in the transfer market but with those sorts of funds available I wouldn't have thought we would have much trouble getting a striker of that calibre, when you consider we sold Bellamy for £14m and bought Ashton for £7m.

As I said, I have never had a problem with Cole as I think he's always given his all for West Ham, even when people were booing him. Just the £20m price tag is super inflated if you ask me, I would have thought we would have got about £10m for him seeing as he is at his peak. Plus goals per game wise I can't see him ever getting past 10-12 goals per season max, he can be very good on the ball etc, but he misses 3 or 4 good chances before he scores one and this is an area he has failed to improve on IMO.

Bellamy was available due to his bad boy reputation , and Ashton was top dollar at the time for a club like ours .

However, the salient point is we can't aford the wages of a proven 25 goal a season striker .

But, Carlton Cole will do well for us this season, and if we hang onto him he will bag at least 18 goals .Good return for £3m quid or whatever it was .
The Claret Pimpernel

Post by The Claret Pimpernel »

Great news CC is back. Let hope he warms up properly this time !! i can see us winning this one as long as we don't gift Hull a 1-0 lead ( which we have given most teams this season ) . 0-2 to the hammers , a long overdue win and clean sheet.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

leveller wrote: I don't claim to be an expert in the transfer market but with those sorts of funds available I wouldn't have thought we would have much trouble getting a striker of that calibre, when you consider we sold Bellamy for £14m and bought Ashton for £7m.

Neither of whom have got any where near scoring 20 to 25 per season (EVER!!!)

I'll stick with Carlton thanks.
HornchurchHammerDM

Post by HornchurchHammerDM »

Im looking forward to this game, think we are going to be too strong for Hull and with our 20 million doller man on fire i reckon well win this quite easily?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

If Cole plays and we keep our cool we'll win this one. We've got the better side and Phil Brown is still in charge which can only be a good thing for us.
Reckon they'll start well though after their victory last time out, and once again can't see us keeping a clean sheet but I can see us scoring freely in this one.
Hull City 1-3 West Ham
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Be great to get back to a real footie weekend again after the farce that is International breaks. Talking of which and I suppose this should be a thread of its own, but why do we have to have them at all ? All teams, apart from us, are able to put out strong teams even without their international players without it having the slightest effect on them. In fact, those teams would still be able to put out eleven players to beat any other side. I really do feel it is time the FA took a serious look at this
ButterflyBoy

Post by ButterflyBoy »

This isn't going to be an easy game. Jimmy Bullard played his first came back for Hull last week. They won...
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

ButterflyBoy wrote:This isn't going to be an easy game. Jimmy Bullard played his first came back for Hull last week. They won...
Did he? I could have sworn he came on as a sub when they played Fulham. He got booed by the Fulham fans, I'm sure of it.