West Ham Utd 5 Burnley 3 (28/11/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Re: West Ham V Burnley Match Thread

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

Bloody hell, if our interpretation of shutting up shop is conceding 3 in 25 minutes I sure hope we don't decide to shut up shop against the Mancs. :lol:

Well tbf we'd have to take the lead first. :cry:
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

RichieRiv wrote: As for out defence it's discipline their lacking, not confidence.
The two go hand in hand. A defence lacking in confidence won't show the same discipline they would if they'd just kept two or three clean sheets on the bounce. Same goes for any player on the pitch.
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Owen Coyle on Sky at the moment. Essentially all five of our goals were soft and/or poor refereeing decisions.

Burnley on the other hand were total quality throughout and all their goals were down to excellent attacking play.

Fair summary then....
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:The two go hand in hand. A defence lacking in confidence won't show the same discipline they would if they'd just kept two or three clean sheets on the bounce. Same goes for any player on the pitch.
That's as maybe, but discipline can be instilled. Confidence can only be gained as you say with a number of clean sheets on the bounce, which doesnt look like happening anytime soon.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I can't believe the bias that is been shown to Burnley over this game. We were 5-0 up and clearly stopped playing. Their first goal was offside, but not mentioned and the 3rd was scored in the 93rd minute. I think I can forgive the players stopping playing at 5-0 up after the pressure they've been under recently. They drew 3-3 with Man City who have about £50m worth of defenders and 1-1 with Villa. I'd rather our 5-3 than any of those results.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If only.... wrote:Owen Coyle on Sky at the moment. Essentially all five of our goals were soft and/or poor refereeing decisions.
He ought to look at their keeper. Crap reflexes, crap positioning.

I reckon Green would probably have saved all 5......
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Zola didn't look at all happy throughout the whole match , but if Burnley had gone 0-3 up and then we scored 5 , it would have been regarded as a heroic win .
We've just got to look at the result in a different perspective , that's all .
' Rejoice in the victory ! ' as some old lady once said . Or words to that effect !
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

While I agree with all the comments on Kovac, to try and bring a tiny bit of positivity to his 'performance', it was a beautifully weighted pass from him through to Spector for the first penalty. My issue with Kovac is for somebody so big he rarely puts himself about and rather than actually making a tackle, he just politely jogs alongside the opposition player, as if that is enough. Some of his passing is absolutely woeful too. He's king of a 3 yard, worthless ball. When he's not doing that he's playing suicial back passes to Green or balls 10 yards behind their attempted target. You compare that to Burnley's player Bikey who is not the greatest player in the world and is not known as a centre midfielder but who chucked himself into everything and generally tried to be positive with his passing, spreading the player left and most notably right to Eagles on numerous occasions. The only reason I can think Kovac was given the nod was to counter Bikey's height and strength in the middle but he failed miserably on that front. Considering how little money we had in the summer to spend £2.5 mill on him was criminal.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm now sober and have had a chance to reflect more. But all I can seem to see is that we went 5 up, and conceeded 3. We cannot keep leaking goals like a sive with a big hole in it, and expect to stay up.

I enjoyed myself yesterday, and it was a thoroughly entertaining game, proper entertainment. BUT we should not be letting in 3 goals at home against Burnley, without meaning disrespect to them. There is no excuse for that.

UTJ, good performance, but in reality, was not a good result.

Scratchy, was not pissed at the game, but I was last night, hense the dodgy posts! Yes it was 3-0 at half time, but my point was we was 5 ahead and then still let 3 in. I may chat b*llocks, but it is genuine b*llocks! From the heart and how I am feeling at the time!

Pleased with the 3 points but the signs aint good!

Thanks to a certain KUMBER for a great day out. I want your car!

I aint the only one who posts **** whilst pissed, gimme some slack!
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Dyer's Leg wrote:
I aint the only one who posts sh*t whilst pissed, gimme some slack!
Enough here who don't even need to be pissed.

GLORIUS WIN by the way. That is the West Ham Way, none of this 1-0 or 2-0 b*llocks.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

If only.... wrote:I accept the substitutions left us poorly ser up to defend from the front.

But all three of their goals came from tap ins by Burnley players standing in front of our goal unmarked. Defenders were close by but none of them picked up the Burnley attackers.

That seems like utterly basic stuff. Pick strikers up and stay with them and goalside. Had we done that then at least all three of their finishes would have had to be done under pressure with a chance of marking them miss or get a block in.

Looking at things from Green's point of view he was looking out at a horror story with waves of strikers wandering around the box unchallenged, He had several tough calls on whether to leave his line and close one of many attackers or to stay back and hope one of his defenders decides to earn their salary.

The good news is that reminding defnders they are supposed to mark the opposition for the whole game should be a message the coaches can get across.
Stopping the ball coming in is the easiest way to defend against it...and Spector was hopeless pushing Eagles down the line.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

If only.... wrote:Owen Coyle on Sky at the moment. Essentially all five of our goals were soft and/or poor refereeing decisions.

Burnley on the other hand were total quality throughout and all their goals were down to excellent attacking play.

Fair summary then....
Laughable wasn't it...another 5 mins and they apparently would have won.

I take it he's a Catholic with honesty like that...
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Dyer's Leg wrote: UTJ, good performance, but in reality, was not a good result.
What? How was it not a good result?

Or did you mean to put that the other way round?
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

had to laugh at lawro on MOTD, he was circling the players runs for all the goals and done fletchers first where he was blatently offside but didnt even mention it, all he said was it was a good run!!!! amazing.

and maybe im being harsh but for the 3rd kovac just stood and watched eagles in the build up.

thank f*** for the 1st half!

:lol:
vind

Post by vind »

Let's focus on the positives, this was a must win game so if we were a **** team we would have won 1-0 and been very nervy. The only area we looked short of confidence was defence and we know we must improve here. If you had told me we were going to be 5-0 I would have looked at like you were slightly mad so let's focus on the positives. When you look at our goal difference we are -2 which is much less than may other teams around us.

Shame our fixtures in December are tough :|
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Two very well weighted passes from Faubert towards the end of the game..a skill I thought he never had.

Junior has sooo much to learn about defending...he was frequently standing deep when they had possesion when he should have been stretching their defence away from Cole.

Play them both as outright Wingers.
Hammer1971

Post by Hammer1971 »

Dyer's Leg wrote:Yes it was 3-0 at half time, but my point was we was 5 ahead and then still let 3 in. I may chat b***ocks, but it is genuine b***ocks! From the heart and how I am feeling at the time!

Pleased with the 3 points but the signs aint good!
Is it fair to say that had we NOT been up by the number of goals we were, then Franco probably wouldn't have been taken off and the rest of the game would have finished far differently though?

We would not have sat back and let them come onto us if we'd been sitting on a 1 goal lead, imo.

Yes, we let in three sloppy goals, but I don't believe it would have happened if we hadn't been so far ahead.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2650 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Romford wrote:Laughable wasn't it...another 5 mins and they apparently would have won.

I take it he's a Catholic with honesty like that...
The **** was having a go at the fourth official over the red card, which was as clear a sending off as you will ever see. What astounded me was that the ref did his best to bottle it and the lino had to make the decision for him.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

I'd like to see Upson, Tomkins, and De Costa in the defence for Saturday. One of them has got to play right back - not sure who but it would give us a chance of a point - as opposed to a good hiding.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

At the time taking off Franco I thought was a good idea. We were 5 up, we had lost our only/main striker for god knows how long and we have a lot of games coming up in a short time. So I thought protecting Franco for what is coming up was good management but it did lead to 'squeeky bum' time