West Ham Utd 5 Burnley 3 (28/11/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

joyful

Re: West Ham V Burnley Match Thread

Post by joyful »

really pleased with the win, but I felt a bit cheated out of my "absolutely euphoric" saturday night.

Parker is playing like a man possessed and to give Owen Coyle credit, he did say that on GoS.

Spector was (unsurprisingly) struggling with Eagles for most of the game and Collison didn't really help him. This, I think, was the reason for the Faubert switch.

Kovac is a waste of space. Am trying to think why he was picked above Noble, and I think the height and the fact he has apparently also played as a central defender is the only reason. But when we were five goals up, the game was crying out for Noble to provide another midfielder to hang on to the ball.

The most bizarre substitution, to me, was the earliest one. Nouble is the ONLY replacement we have for Cole and fortuitously, he was on the bench yesterday, and we were three goals up. Why not give him a run -out?

On the positive side, Franco seems like a great addition to the team. A couple of times he got Stanislas out of trouble and was encouraging the youngsters. Good experienced player with a good attitude. Result.

Towards teh end of the game both Gabbidon and Ilunga were tiring, again unsurprisingly having returned from injuries and I think this also contributed to the late Burnley goals.
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

Looking for the postives, I'm sure if Behrami was fit and Noble in form Kovac would not have been on the pitch.
Don't know if Behrami, or Upson, are due back for Saturday. And where is Diamanti? I'm worried about these 'unsettled' rumours. I hope it is just the hip injury that the club mentioned last week.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Whilst I'm happy with the win, which will give the team confidence...Dyer's Leg is right, we are conceding way too many goals this season. Some will argue that as long as we outscore our opponents by a goal that is good enough as it will be a win, in some respects I agree, but by the same token it has got to be a worry for Zola and Clark to see us leaking goals week in week out. If we concede like this to the top sides, this will f*k up our goal difference - which could come into play towards the end of the season if we are not clear of the bottom. So again - whilst I'm happy with the win, looking to play Chelsea, Manure etc and leaking goals like this...............
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Just read in the Current Bun that it was Carlton's first ever Premier League penalty and he scored :thup:
beckton

Post by beckton »

Pop Robson wrote:Just read in the Current Bun that it was Carlton's first ever Premier League penalty and he scored :thup:

Probably nicked the quotes off the o/s.

I must be one of the few that reads Pravda! :lol:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

joyful wrote:really pleased with the win, but I felt a bit cheated out of my "absolutely euphoric" saturday night.

Parker is playing like a man possessed and to give Owen Coyle credit, he did say that on GoS.

Spector was (unsurprisingly) struggling with Eagles for most of the game and Collison didn't really help him. This, I think, was the reason for the Faubert switch.

Kovac is a waste of space. Am trying to think why he was picked above Noble, and I think the height and the fact he has apparently also played as a central defender is the only reason. But when we were five goals up, the game was crying out for Noble to provide another midfielder to hang on to the ball.

The most bizarre substitution, to me, was the earliest one. Nouble is the ONLY replacement we have for Cole and fortuitously, he was on the bench yesterday, and we were three goals up. Why not give him a run -out?

On the positive side, Franco seems like a great addition to the team. A couple of times he got Stanislas out of trouble and was encouraging the youngsters. Good experienced player with a good attitude. Result.

Towards teh end of the game both Gabbidon and Ilunga were tiring, again unsurprisingly having returned from injuries and I think this also contributed to the late Burnley goals.
Good summary, especially the Nouble bit.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

EvilC wrote:
The c*** was having a go at the fourth official over the red card, which was as clear a sending off as you will ever see. What astounded me was that the ref did his best to bottle it and the lino had to make the decision for him.
I was the other end of the pitch and couldn't believe it when the ref seemed to wave play on until the lino flagged, after that IMHO the red card was a formality.
joyful wrote: The most bizarre substitution, to me, was the earliest one. Nouble is the ONLY replacement we have for Cole and fortuitously, he was on the bench yesterday, and we were three goals up. Why not give him a run -out?
Agreed 3-0 up at the time? Franco and the rest of the team looking good going forward seems like a good time to give Nouble a run out.

Now the negatives Kovac was absolute crap all game, miss hit passes including badly hit back passes to Green that needlessly put him under pressure. Positioning awful. Spector struggled all game, postioning was bad and why oh why let your man come inside and measure his pass time after time? TBH I thought bringing on Faubert was a late attempt to double up on Eagles and did seem to be working for a while.

As others have said the team seemed to have mentally switched off at 5-0 up with 20 mins to go then found it hard to get going again, IIRC two goals came from Spector failing to prevent his man crossing. And finally I didn't think Burnley were that bad and you have to give them credit for never giving up and still trying to play their passing game.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Favhammer wrote:My first .... I always thought we would get 4 points from hull and Burnley .... so we are still on .....shaky 1.0 win .... COYI
Just got back from the game :think: :D . Well done FH, first match thread and a win, also our first win against 10 men this season :raver:
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

miami-hammer wrote: Just got back from the game :think: Well done FH, first match thread and a win, also our first win against 10 men this season :raver:
I thought you must have been on some 'night out' if you have only just got back home after the game on Saturday, but then I saw your username :oops: