West Ham Utd 0 Man Utd 4 (05/12/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kent Bubble Blower

Re: West Ham Utd v Man Utd: match thread

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Pompey ain't gonna go down, they will spend $ in Jan & have a good Manager
Haven't they got a transfer embargo on them?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

clarke wrote:w4hammer, agree with what you say about the two full backs. The benefit they have is that Fulham seem to line up with Hughes and Hangeland with those two at full back for every single game of the season. They know when to cover each other, what they'll do etc. Hughes also ensures they are organised and they have a leader, something we lack.

Yesterday, I could argue that Franco was the only one who looked like he gave a sh*t and wanted to play for the shirt when it got sticky. At the moment we don't really seem to have a structure to our attacking play either, for example, Man U every time they had the ball looked to offload it quick and move into space etc and keep the passing going. We seemed f***ing clueless, it's like we got the ball and then didn't know whether to go short and direct, hoof it up to our non existant target man, play it down the wings etc.

We need some serious work done at Chadwell Heath this week, as the work they put in last week equated in sh*t. If we don't sort ourselves out Birmingham will make us look silly. We could all accept losing like that to Man U before hand anyway, but being in the game then folding takes the piss, same as Burnley game, being 5 nil up and then almost sinking.

We need a massive kick up the arse.

I still dont know why dacosta was dropped- really worries me that zola is making his mind up in the shower on a saturday morning and the players dont know who they are playing with. I know i covered my eyes a couple of times and avoided MOTD, but tell me that two of the three burnley goals and two of the four man u goals werent almost carbon copy ie. RB/LB gets gubbed/out of position, no cover on the man with the ball, gets stroked across the box and and an embarrasment of strikers fall over themsleves to score while our centre backs point to each other?

****ing shamefull and embarrassing-show- not brilliant football on their part(S) basic attacking play; simple, easy to eradicate errors on out behalf- jesus i our last flrtwith relegation we got six points against these c****- we could play from now until next december and still not have scored, or even threatened...
simon1982
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

We have dug ourselves a huge hole, everyone new we needed to BUY a right back at the beginning of the year, when it was looking doubtful that Neil would receive a new contract.
Costa should have played because he has a physical presence about him and he can clear the ball with a bit of gusto, every time our back 4 tried to clear they sliced it here there and everywhere or got very little distance. You should also never ever clear a ball to the edge of the box, i was always taught to concede a throw in or corner so you can re group and defend.
Gabbidon is too fu*king soft, he is like watching a girl play football, especially in the tackle.
Giggs should have been kicked up in the air within minutes of that match starting, and especially once he started dominating down the left. Also Gabbs bottling that tackle for the 2nd, take him out, he was 35/40 yards from the goal.
We have no blood and thunder at the moment, big deal you give away a foul or take a booking at least let them know there in a game!!

No heart and no bottle = likely relegation candidates, teams see us as an opportunity to improve there goal difference.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Kent Bubble Blower wrote: Haven't they got a transfer embargo on them?
I wasn't aware if they had..

If not, i stiull think they may stay up as they have a better Manager than us & Players that seem to want to play for the Club, if not blessed with bundles of skill IE Heiridarsson/O Hara/Brown ( sp ?? )
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Pompey ain't gonna go down, they will spend $ in Jan & have a good Manager
Kent Bubble Blower wrote:Haven't they got a transfer embargo on them?
Yes they have, reason being that they have failed to meet instalment payments - even for those who now play at different clubs.

Grant is unlikely to have even the power to buy any new players in January, even if the funds were in place. And, if they can't pay their wages, how can they afford any new players?

They are also losing more players to the ACN than any other club.

A victory against Burnley may be a false dawn.

The longer the season goes on, the more injuries will affect the small squads in the Premiership too. Bolton and Wolves will be affected at a time when they may have only a small amount to spend.

Wigan are text book inconsistent (and, when the mood takes them very shaky in defence). Stoke in fact have not won for some time.

As much as we have Chelsea next at home, here are the games our rivals at the foot of the table have before the turn of the year:

Portsmouth
Sunderland (a)
Chelsea (a)
Liverpool (h)
West Ham (a)
Arsenal (h)

2-3 points?? Possibly fewer?

Wolves
Spurs (a)
Man U (a)
Burnley (h)
Liverpool (a)
Man C (h)

3 points max??

Bolton
Man C (h)
West Ham (h)
Wigan (a)
Burnley (a)
Hull (h)

A much easier run, before the going gets sticky for them again. Will make or break their season, imho.

Wigan
Stoke (a)
Liverpool (a)
Bolton (h)
Blackburn (h)
Man U (a)

4-6 points??
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

w4hammer wrote:f***ing shamefull and embarrassing-show- not brilliant football on their part(S) basic attacking play; simple, easy to eradicate errors on out behalf- jesus i our last flrtwith relegation we got six points against these c***s- we could play from now until next december and still not have scored, or even threatened...
The difference between that season being imo that we had a decent team who were reinforced in the january window and once Curbishley got hold of the dressing room we started to play well. We were **** against some pretty **** teams, but still had the ability to play well against very good teams. A lot of that season was the attitude of the dressing room rather than actual playing ability imo. Once Curbishley came in he brought sport psychologists with him etc to try and get things right. The team we currently have could never win 7 in 9.

None of our defenders knew what to do with the ball when they had it on saturday in terms of distribution. Even when we had 5 ft 0 Hines all they could think of was lumping balls up to him. It was truly pathetic.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

The difference between that season being imo that we had a decent team who were reinforced in the january window and once Curbishley got hold of the dressing room we started to play well. We were sh*t against some pretty sh*t teams, but still had the ability to play well against very good teams. A lot of that season was the attitude of the dressing room rather than actual playing ability imo. Once Curbishley came in he brought sport psychologists with him etc to try and get things right. The team we currently have could never win 7 in 9.

None of our defenders knew what to do with the ball when they had it on saturday in terms of distribution. Even when we had 5 ft 0 Hines all they could think of was lumping balls up to him. It was truly pathetic.
v the top six since zola arrived- we hung on for good results v chelsea and liverpool away last year, but the rest of the time our " knock it to the big man up front whether he's there or not" routine would be laughable if it werent true...we 've barely made them break sweat..wouldnt surprise me if chelsea send the kids over v us...we're there for another four goal tonking thats for sure!
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Chuck D wrote:I agree. Though Zola must have thought that Da Costa, Gabbidon, or Tomkins was better than (the very average at best) Collins. Else he wouldnt have so activley tried to get rid of him to bring in Diamante. Bearing in mind that we dont sell anyone without having as good or better replacement lined up.

Zola has spent the first third of the season tinkering with the defence, because we sold Collins and allowed Neill to go right at the wrong time.
I totally agree

We have no one in our defence who actually attacks the ball, with some seemingly happy to just watch as it passes in front of them. We used to have a player who did that, who would attack every ball, but we sold him with with no replacement lined up

We have no one in our defence who actually organises, keeps everyone on their toes and doing the job they should be doing. Nevermind anyone who can see how the game is developing and reorganise the defence to adapt, or point out where mistakes are being made. We used to have a player who did that, but we sold him with with no replacement lined up

With decisions like that, it's absolutely no surprise our defence is utterly pathetic
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: danny gabbidon is xxxx

Post by davids cross »

dicksie wrote:l know some of you think highly of the man (Gabbidon),l have never had much time for him,hes so lazy its not funny,would blame him for the first two man u goals,he head the ball back into the middle for scholes,.if zola keeps playing him,l feel we are doomed,just my opinion!
The problem with Gabbs and it is something that has happened after every injury at West Ham is that he takes time to rediscover his form. I've noticed it when he has come back before. So it's a delicate balance between giving him first team games to rediscover the form that would be so beneficial to all while accepting he may struggle in the short term.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

derek zoolander wrote: None of our defenders knew what to do with the ball when they had it on saturday in terms of distribution. Even when we had 5 ft 0 Hines all they could think of was lumping balls up to him. It was truly pathetic.
No....you don't understand......under Curbs it was "dull" and "negative"...........under Zola it's all free flowing sexy football.

Tut tut Derek.....please stay after class and write "At least we won't get loads of injuries now Curbs and his ancient methods are gone" 1000 times.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

smuts wrote: No....you don't understand......under Curbs it was "dull" and "negative"...........under Zola it's all free flowing sexy football.

Tut tut Derek.....please stay after class and write "At least we won't get loads of injuries now Curbs and his ancient methods are gone" 1000 times.
Sorry Smuts. I forgot myself for a moment. I'll go away & give myself a damn good thrashing as well. :lol.

Edit. Wrong thread. Wibble. Don't mind me.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

zola said the team gave their all......

was he watching a different game to me...? last time I saw that phrase used away from west ham it was on a team who actually ran around a little and looked like they gave a monkeys....

we showed no urgency to shut players down, no particular movement into the acres of space that were available wide for the vast majority of the match, no working back to support the full backs when man utd surged forward (resulting in the pressure for three of the goals directly), no players busting a gut to get in space to always have options on for the man in possession

we're all getting excited about franco because he's the only one to show any level of intelligent movement...this english obsession of needing a lump to 'hold the ball up' is nonsense - an intelligent striker who runs channels can provide just as much relief for the team and hold the ball up just as effectively as a big man - just not with defenders and midfielders only trying passes torpedoed at his 4 feet off the ground head (or our alternative tactic of slowing down the passing so much that the opposition get all 11 men back behind the ball......)

was annoyed after the game and became even more annoyed after hearing the little smiley one trot out some excuses from a different game
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

hammer1975 wrote:our alternative tactic of slowing down the passing so much that the opposition get all 11 men back behind the ball
-
Completely agree, there were a couple of times when the counter attack was on, but we fkd about with way too many passes in the midfield allowing them to all get back behind the ball; and then we had to play it back to our defense for Green to belt it up field and possession back to them - fkn clueless.... Headbanger