West Ham Utd P Wolverhampton Wanderers P (09/01/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sanfranhammersfan

Re: West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: MATCH POSTPONED

Post by Sanfranhammersfan »

This was done especially for my benefit. Am coming over for a work trip but there were no games I could see while there. Suddenly, it all falls into place. Just got to hope they do not draw with CP.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Received a reply to my email to Mayor of Newham today:

Club say Council & Police called it off. Council say Premier League.
Don't suppose we'll ever know.

Dear Mr Brownout

Thank you for your email.

Newham Council did not instruct West Ham United to postpone the game with Wolverhampton Wanderers. Discussions did take place between the club, local police and the council, however the final decision was made by the Premier League to postpone the match on safety grounds.

At the time of the match the weather forecast predicted heavy snow falls and we were well prepared with good stocks of salt and we have been gritting roads on a regular basis. However given shortages elsewhere, we were instructed by the Government on Friday to conserve salt over the weekend. This meant we had to reduce the amount of gritting and prioritise main roads.

All highways authorities received this advice and on Saturday we informed the club and the police that we could not guarantee pavements surrounding the stadium would be gritted if the further snow and freezing temperatures that were forecast, took place. Travelling to the game would have been more problematic than usual and greater care would have been needed by supporters attending. Postponement of the game reduced any unnecessary extra risk.

I hope that this answers your questions and I would advise you to address any further complaints to West Ham United directly.

Kind regards,

Sir Robin Wales
Mayor of Newham
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

Nice one Mr B. :thup:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »