West Ham Utd P Wolverhampton Wanderers P (09/01/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Roaring Repka

Re: West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: MATCH POSTPONED

Post by Roaring Repka »

Not convinced by the blessing in disguise talk at all. For the first time in ages, we have got a bit of momentum at home and with everyone else getting called off we were looking at the possibility of climbing a good three or four places. Instead, everybody else will be playing next Saturday to probably knock us into the bottom three, then we'll probably lose to Villa and then we're in a bad position heading into the Portsmouth game, which if we don't win won't bode well heading into Blackburn.
westhamnil

Post by westhamnil »

The thing that gets me is that not just us but those PL teams that have had games called off look pretty stupid when you have games taking place in the 'poorer' lower leagues. Surely it stands to reason that with the money that we are all suposed to have there might be a few more quid to spend on getting the game played?
I think that if our elder generations had shown the same fortitude in the face of adversity we'd all be speaking Hun and goose-stepping along Green Street!
A very poor show in my opinion.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

It makes my ****ing piss boil... A billion pound industry, with 100's of perfectly playable surfaces, stadiums that are more snow free than your average shopping centre today, up & down the country, & because of health & safety OUTSIDE the grounds literally 90% of games called off!!!! It's ****ing LUDICROUS!!!

Why was it OK to play games in snow like this back in the 70's & 80's, when there was NO undersoil heating or billions of pounds of TV money or all seater stadiums, & all they did was get out the orange ball & get on with it & yet now it's far far too dangerous?!? It's our ****ing RELIGION & they've closed the church ****ing doors!!!! :lol:

It sums up perfectly a lot of this modern day **** & passionate-less administration & commercialization considerations that are killing a game.. Clubs that DON'T belong to health & safety or nannying authorities, they belong to US!! This **** is in our blood, it's in our water, these are clubs that have survived 2 world wars & winters worse than this with far less safety or amenities. It makes me really, really, REALLY angry. :lol:
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

On the other hand it will be freezing cold and snowy tomorrow, quite likely turning a must-win game into a lottery.
e17

Post by e17 »

speculator wrote:Given the fact that we have only one striker at the moment who is injured I feel it's the right decision. :wink:
B..But Lawro predicted we'd win

:wink:
e17

Post by e17 »

kthammer wrote:On the other hand it will be freezing cold and snowy tomorrow, quite likely turning a must-win game into a lottery.
I'm not so much worried about that as I am of now having no reason to get out of helping the missus around the house* :lol:

(*she aint in a wheelchair or owt, I mean with housework)
beckton

Post by beckton »

Got back from the pub about half an hour ago, bloody freezing out and glad the game has been called off.

Sod the Blitz Spirit!
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

this is truly ****ing pathetic by the council ,safety officials, police(the same police who decided to not police the millwall game like they would had it been 12 on a sunday) and every pc official in newham and east london

have they shut east ham high street for shoppers
i'm sure more than 35000 will go to lakeside today is that shut
apparantly the schools at the ground have been open as usual all week, and i'd expect them to be more at risk than a football fan
this country is a ****ing embarrassment, everyone laughs at the people who run this country into the ground

i'm sure its been mentioned before but, in america who in some states have a similar climate to here, the nfl has never postponed a game due to the weather, and they are more litigous (f*** knows how you spell that) than anyone

load of old ****

we supposed to be a country that gets on with things regardles, we turning into a country still in nappies with one thumb in our mouths too frightened to say something and one up our arse, if you are too scared to walk on ice i'm sure the clubs would accept that and refund people, when are we going to be able to do things without some pen pusher thinking

ooh thats a bit dangerous theres a one in 56000000 chance someone will scratch themselves there

c****
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The club would have done what they could to get the game on, £600,000 from Sky at stake.

Breaking News: Newham Council instructed to conserve salt supplies
09 January 2010
NEWHAM Council have this morning been instructed by the Government to conserve sale supplies while the severe weather continues.
But Milly Camley, Divisional Director for Policy, Partnerships & Communications for Newham, said: "Given shortages elsewhere, we have been instructed by the Government to conserve salt over the weekend of the 9th and 10th of January 2010 and whilst the severe weather continues. This means that we are required to reduce the amount of gritting and will therefore be prioritising main roads in the borough over the weekend. Please bear this in mind when planning any travel and take care.
e17

Post by e17 »

One minute it's getting the blame for heart attacks, strokes, dementia and kidney disease, & the next we don't have enuff of it.. It amazes me how people just got up & did stuff like go to football matches & play in football matches when it was snowing in the 70's & 80's, without worrying about it all.

Fair enough though I suppose.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I live near Snowdonia. People are still going climbing up there, even though its -10 and theres about four foot of drifted snow in places!

Arsenal played, no reason why we can't.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Arsenal may have played, but far more London games have also been postponed
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Denbighammer wrote:I live near Snowdonia. People are still going climbing up there

Not after necking 6 swift ones in the local they aren't :lol:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote:I live near Snowdonia. People are still going climbing up there
vietnammer wrote: Not after necking 6 swift ones in the local they aren't :lol:
I wouldn't be so sure, the air ambulance has been out about ten times in the last week. Someone slipping in green street won't require one of them at least will it? :D
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

I think we should be proud of ourselves ... How many other club fansites can get a 13-page thread out of a game that doesn't even take place?? :D :crest:

Imagine what would happen if someone tried to mount a take-over ... ?
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

So, the match was postponed because somebody was afraid that a supporter might slip on some ice or fall into a snowbank? Am I understanding this correctly? The postponement wasn't about the condition of the pitch or the safety of the players so much as it was about the safety of supporters getting to and around the ground. Is that right?

That's pathetic. If we had that kind of policy here in Boston, we wouldn't have sports. The Patriots played outdoors in a snowstorm in October in front of 65,000-plus fans. The Bruins and Celtics play indoors, of course, but there's plenty of snow and ice all winter long outside the arena. I went to a college hockey game last night at Fenway Park. The temperature was in the 20s all night, and snow fell during the first two periods of the game. Yet, as far as I know, 35,000 people managed to get there and get home without any major incidents.

I know that London isn't prepared for snowy weather, but FFS...if the pitch is playable, play the match. The supporters who want to be there will find their way there just fine.
EggyBread
Location: Riding in the back-seat of the Roller with Gold & Sullivan!

Post by EggyBread »

Our only fit first team striker breaks his leg, The club postpone the game..... discuss.
beckton

Post by beckton »

EggyBread wrote:Our only fit first team striker breaks his leg, The club postpone the game..... discuss.

This is West Ham, do you really think we are that clever?
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

beckton wrote:

This is West Ham, do you really think we are that clever?

I think we did our best to get the game called off. We wouldn't have got a proper weeks training in, we have our best players not fully fit...

It makes sense.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Well, if I can't go to West Ham, then West Ham will come to me... :lol:

Let's make the best of a bad thing :thup: