West Ham Utd P Wolverhampton Wanderers P (09/01/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Re: West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: MATCH POSTPONED

Post by sendô »

In fairness the MET office were predicting 10-15cm of snow to fall on Kent and Essex saturday night. Of course in reality there was approximately 0cm fell where I was, but then I guess WH/PL didnt know that.
leveller

Post by leveller »

shammy wrote:So that undersoil heating is just a waste of money then?...Do health and safety want us to put under pavement heating all the way up to the tube station?
No they want us to put under pavement and road heating for the entire square mile surrounding Upton Park (whatever happened to that rolling eyes thing!) Headbanger
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

We have already played the same day as a round of Champions League fixtures this season. 4th November we beat Aston Villa while Arsenal were thrashing AZ and Liverpool were getting knocked out. :wink:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Chazza wrote:We have already played the same day as a round of Champions League fixtures this season. 4th November we beat Aston Villa while Arsenal were thrashing AZ and Liverpool were getting knocked out. :wink:
So that means the game maybe played on a Champs League day, thus not be shown on TV and the club lose £600,000

I've know learned nothing today after all and was right first time :wink:

Off to the shops now that's sorted
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I thought we cancelled the game because of a severe weather warning, which was only withdrawn late Saturday....

even if there was a warning of more heavy snow the fact that the pitch was playable and surrounding rds ok they should of waited untill the morning of the game before making any decision.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

Pop Robson wrote:[So that means the game maybe played on a Champs League day, thus not be shown on TV and the club lose £600,000

Ie

and even if there not both the Hull v Chelsea and Liverpool v Spurs games were due to be shown on sky so you know damn well that if our game is rearranged for the same night as them they sure as hell won't be showing our game.
Wade

Post by Wade »

carnage wrote:The Club wont miss out on 600k. When its re-arranged it will be on Sky. They always do that.
it was on sky tv
Wade

Post by Wade »

I bet now its been postponed it wont be on sky tv
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2428 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Larry wrote:

even if there was a warning of more heavy snow the fact that the pitch was playable and surrounding rds ok they should of waited untill the morning of the game before making any decision.
Which is the way they used to do it, then loads of people used to moan that they had to leave earlier than that to get to the game on time. A fair number of Wolves fans will have been aiming to spend Saturday night in London (possibly). Between a rock and a hard place on this one, so IMO based on the best information and advice at the the time the clubs and league played safe.

With 20-20 hindsight it is easy to criticise, what if the forecast had been right or even underestimated snowfall? You might have had 30k+ people struggling to get to the game.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2428 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Wade wrote:I bet now its been postponed it wont be on sky tv
As I understand it sky have a contract to show x number of live games a season. The clubs and sky will try to find a mutually agreeable date which will allow this fixture to be shown live but there is no commitment to do so.
RUNWELL RAY

Post by RUNWELL RAY »

Personally I was not to upset with the game being postponed. I would have definatley gone if on but I was not looking forward to driving & the very cold conditions. With both Franco & Cole being out I cannot help but feel that we would benefit from the game being played later in the season. Yes we may have lost the tv money for not being televised but if we lost the 3 points it could have been that we could lose out on untold millions next season. It also give the likes of Parker 7 more days to get over their injuries.
So in my view overall that it is probably a good thing.
rebs

Post by rebs »

to be fair with the squad being injured and no real strikers available. I cant see the club putting up much of a fight to get the game ahead for the sky money.... so if the club had the oppotunity to put the game to a further date. Why would they not jump at it?

Not that I'm suggesting that is what happened. Because that would be terrible. And ill no doubt lead to the club getting sued.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1792 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I heard that Liverpool asked to call off their Sunday game last Thursday :shock:

Nothing to do with Gerrard and Torres being injured of course.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Evening Standard http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... est-ham.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A club spokesman added today: "We were mindful of that advice, added to the forecast for the local area, which suggested there was a high risk of heavy snow and the fact that Wolves fans would be leaving early on Sunday morning because of the early kick-off. "The conditions around the stadium are still variable. Some places are clear but parts of the main car park are still like a skating rink."

Strange thing to say about the main car park, maybe clearing the snow and ice would have been an idea, where do the club get these spokesmen from?
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Daily Fail - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ?ITO=1490

"Why did West Ham and Wolves not play on Sunday despite no snow in east London? Blame it on the weathermen...

By Matt Lawton Last updated at 8:57 PM on 11th January 2010

West Ham's game against Wolves was postponed after an incorrect forecast for more snow in east London on Sunday.

The game was called off on Saturday despite the fact that by Sunday the pathways and roads around Upton Park were largely clear of snow and ice.

But the Premier League will not be investigating West Ham, amid suspicions that it suited them to postpone the match at a time when they have so many key players injured, after written submissions from the police and council.

The authorities did not believe it would be safe for supporters to attend the match because of the weather reports and a lack of resources to grit the roads."

:crest:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Sky reporting it as being moved to 2nd Feb .
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

The BBC have also updated their fixtures: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What an incredibly important run of games that is!
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

Moved to Tues 2nd Feb 7:45pm live on Sky. Great, now means I have to take a holiday day off work to go :evil:

http://www.whufc.com/articles/wolves-ma ... 84_1930094
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

5 games in 15 days .

Should test GFZ theory on squad size to the limit !

Fancy 5 wins on the spin after the villa game , which will be a draw .FACT .
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

You just know that Wolves will have to have a replay against Palarse...