Man Utd 3 West Ham Utd 0 (23/02/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: Man Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

Muddy wrote:I would really like to know what zola said to the players before the match.
Well after looking at the players body language and seeing his post match interview in guessing it was something along the lines of "try not to get too stuffed because we have Bolton in 10 days"
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

All I have seen of the match was their goals on GMTV this morning so can't really pass any comment as to how we played or whatever. I never expected anything from this match but maybe I thought it may have been a bit closer than the scoreline suggested, but what I will say, however, it was shocking marking that allowed Rooney to score the first of his two headed goals, completed unopposed, and Faubert did an excellent impression of a statue for Owen's goal
Ironworx

Re: mido

Post by Ironworx »

He was certainly wearing something bulky under his shirt, but his movement is like somebody who is a long way from being match fit.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

sendô wrote:Also, a quick mention for the morons doing the text commentary on bbc sport and sky sports referring constantly to United - United this, United that.
There's one or two West Ham United supporters guilty of that on this very thread sendo ...

'Our' Tony Gale was the biggest culprit, last night.

Brief history lesson for the uninitiated: West Ham United (formerly Thames Ironworks), formed 1900. Manchester United (formerly Newton Heath), formed 1902.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think it was a life jacket.
Green's Hand

Post by Green's Hand »

Georgee Paris wrote:I think it was a life jacket.

Because he's in too deep??
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Tomkins was atrocious for Rooney's 2 goals.

Not sure why Tomkins was chosen to mark Rooney rather than Upson, but it would have been nice if he could at least have made an effort to stay with his man on each occasion?? :evil:

Unfortunately the lad has absolutely no pace.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

It was our typical performance against the top clubs under Zola. Folded once again and showed no bottle. But at least we play magical football..
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

WestHamIFC wrote:Tomkins was atrocious for Rooney's 2 goals.

Not sure why Tomkins was chosen to mark Rooney rather than Upson, but it would have been nice if he could at least have made an effort to stay with his man on each occasion?? :evil:

Agreed, Tomkins was not even close to Rooney for both those free Headers.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Tel The Hammer wrote:Zola in his interview for Sky - "These aren't the type of games we need to be winning"

Seemed like Zola's mentality transpired directly through to our players to me.

No wonder why were so f***ing half arsed tonight, eh Mr Zola?

No game is unwinnable, and Zola needs to take this mentality on board sharpish for my liking.
Perhaps Zola would like to refund every fan that went last night. :evil:
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

No pace? While he's not the fastest, it's worth noting that he did manage to keep up with Agbonlahor over about 30 yards a few weeks ago, and made up a yard or two in the penalty box when Rooney went through before making a great tackle.

He was at fault for the first goal, letting Rooney get goalside. The second goal Upson was guilty of being out of position, and no midfielders covering for him, leaving Tomkins with Scholes & Rooney. Tomkins gambled on Scholes at the near post, and lost out. Had he made the right decision, we wouldn't be praising him for saving a clear goalscoring opportunity...
Last edited by [HH] on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Big_Russ wrote: Oh well at least Noble is injured :thup:
Twat. Utter twat.
JonG86
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

From what I saw Man United set up perfectly to take advantage of the weaknesses in our team, nullifying our attacking right side with Park and exposing our shakier left side with Valencia and the deep crossing from Neville (who can still ping a great cross). Hard to cover for Spector against Valencia when you also need to stop the Nevilator from crossing as well.

We missed Parker covering inside Spector as well, I admittedly only watched the 2nd half, but every time Spector got beat it seemed Valencia was playing a 1-2 with Rooney inside and turning the poor fella inside out.

Diamanti couldn't drift inside like he did against Hull because Neville was much more disciplined on Spector, constantly showing him onto his left foot, therefore our strikers had less support than normal.

Mido looked like he was coming too deep for the ball, probably because Noble and Kovac were flatter than a pancake in midfield.

Plus they had better players at every position, which you would expect.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

JonG86 wrote:the Nevilator
I'm actually lost for words.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

[HH] wrote:No pace? While he's not the fasted, it's worth noting that he did manage to keep up with Agbonlahor over about 30 yards a few weeks ago, and made up a yard or two in the penalty box when Rooney went through before making a great tackle.
Finally a person who speaks sense!!!
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

JonG86 wrote:From what I saw Man United set up perfectly to take advantage of the weaknesses in our team, nullifying our attacking right side with Park and exposing our shakier left side with Valencia and the deep crossing from Neville (who can still ping a great cross). Hard to cover for Spector against Valencia when you also need to stop the Nevilator from crossing as well.
Agree with this, my only problem is that imo Spector gave Valencia far to much space and time on the ball.
He could of got tighter giving him far less time to do what he pleased with the ball and make it far harder for Neville to go on the overlap.
noble art

Post by noble art »

maybe if the ex spud,didnt have all that time,to pass to the winger,and he had time to cross,and faubert got in and covererd,Tomkins would'nt of got the blame!!
Rooney on current form,is the best striker in the world,and he will score against better teams than us!!..i just hope he carries on through the summer...
lets just move on,we cant compete on that level.....
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

So is this because we were exposwed by a markedly better team (ManYoo had won their previous 5 home matches by between 3-0 and 5-0, so we were on the slightly good side of that)? or is this a matter that Zola has a mental pecking order of sides - he gives the message (maybe implicitly) that we can never expect to beat a top 4 side, so the players never have the belief or bottle for it.

If the second of these that's certainly not we have generally expected of British managers - winning against the odds and all that. Lucky for us that Curbishley (and Pardew) didn't have that attitude in the Great Escape season, where we needed the double over both ManYoo and Racing Club de Paris to stay up

Let's hope we do play better aginst the less esteemed sides. But I predict we'll only be one point above the bottom 3 by the time we play Bolton, and that'll be another anxiety ridden match
JonG86
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Fionn Kiely wrote: I'm actually lost for words.
Don't read Football365 much do you?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

My mates at work (Man U season ticket holders) thought we put up a good fight and were worried at half-time. They could see a 1-1 on the cards. Thought Cole was fantastic (best forward to visit OT this season!) and would love Fergi to sign him up. Perfect for Rooney -said we could have Berbatov as part of the deal (they are not fans!)