West Ham Utd 1 Bolton 2 (06/03/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

lukeWHU

Re: West Ham v Bolton Match Thread

Post by lukeWHU »

Will try to not repeat what has already been said, but I thought Tompkins and Upson were just bullied by Davies. Tompkins looked well out of his depth (and was obvuiously at fault for the second goal). Personally, knowing the tactics that Bolton were going to play, surely it would have been an idea to play Da Costa in this game. Ok - technically, he is not great but he is good in the air and I think would have dealt better with Bolton's long ball game.

Diamanti bottled out of a tackle which resulted in the first goal. I was disappointed with that.

Franco was booed because he was awful. It didn't help that moments before he was substituted he had a shot which I nearly caught in the crowd (....and I sit at the back of the Bobby Moore upper....).

I am trying not to dwell too much on this game. I just winds me up.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

I think that Kevin Davies played exactly the right game to beat Upson and Tomkins (he would not have bullied Collins so easily!).

If you are in a relegation dogfight who do you want Kevin Davies or Mido?

We should have broken the bank to sign him in the transfer window.
Bolton Lurker

Post by Bolton Lurker »

The Collector wrote:I think that Kevin Davies played exactly the right game to beat Upson and Tomkins (he would not have bullied Collins so easily!).

It's already broken, isn't it?
Post Horn Gallop

We changed the ball from left to right

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

This was the comment Zola made on the official website insinuating that the goal we scored had something to do with his brilliant tactics.Please go lit.tle man
PrawnSandwich

Re: We changed the ball from left to right

Post by PrawnSandwich »

You got the inspiring email too then...?
:lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The Collector wrote:I think that Kevin Davies played exactly the right game to beat Upson and Tomkins (he would not have bullied Collins so easily!).

Collins is a red herring. I watched him carefully yesterday. He's a real 'heart on sleeve' performer, but also pretty rash.
Reading's 2nd yesterday looked good, but the defending was terrible
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

My views. We're not down yet, but we're getting close to the last chance saloon

We again are trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. It's no good learning lessons from the Bolton match and then trying to apply them to Chelsea or Arsenal. A bit of improvement means we beat Bolton. A bit of improvement aganst Arsenal or Chelsea means we lose 3-0 instead of 4-0.

A truly shocking result a 6 pointer against a team that hasn't won away since September or something. It's very difficult to have any confidence in Zola the way things are panning out this season. Is he capable of 'doing what he has to do' to get a result in the way a Curbishley would have done? I'm not sure at all
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Which completely goes against everything that an Owen Coyle Team stands for but i know what you mean..
smuts wrote:Coyle is not daft enough to go against every tactic that the likes of Allardyce, etc have used against us constantly.

Get at us early on, unsettle Upson and Green with the high ball and Davies crashing in, etc.

How Zola never warned against this apparantley and told the team the reverse is baffling......
What Coyle has done, is joined Bolton, looked at the squad, and said "I dont like the style of play these boys are good at, but its effective, lets get through the season, using the bits that work well"

He knows that Davies wins/stops the defender winning 80% of the headers. Its simple.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Boogie!