Everton 2 West Ham Utd 2 (04/04/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simian major
Location: "Houston, we have a problem" .... "the Simian has landed"

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by simian major »

At HT was at a loss for words.....just said that there was no spirit......but what a f***ing different second half!

Would it be off base to assume that parker went mental a la 'Ferguson/Hair-dryer' and was punching walls etc hence his plastered hand? Anyone have any whispers to that effect?

Biggest differences were
(1) that we pressed them when they were in their half, made them harried on the ball, so they just punted and we could pick it up....
(2) Kovac actually tackled rather than shadowed....
(3) Noble got to see some of the ball, even though he went to his right foot eveerytime.....
(4) Mido went long and alternated with Cole - one up top the other dropping a little deeper
(5) we scored and then players were actually up for getting or chasing after the ball rather than hoping and thinking that whatever they did it would run to a blue shirt....

Want to see more next game....

Come On You Irons!!!
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Not a great 1st half but much better second. On chances we should have won it, particularly the penalty but i'll take a point. On the other hand, our defending is still poor and thats why we drew. We caught Everton on a bad day but didnt win because of our defending.

We are getting better with each match, about 60% good now, but parker being out of the next two, particularly sunderland wont help. On the other hand, if we go up to anfield, take it we are going to lose but go all out attack, then we may get something from that match if you consider how poor liverpool seem to be at defending or scoring without torres. Just dont go up there to draw. Finally, if we want to see the best from our wingers then play the ****ers on their correct side - ive been saying this all season. We would have got more out of stanislas on the left and noble on the right - note that he hit the bar from the right.

I hope behrami is fit for sunderland, if he is then play behrami, kovac, noble, diamanti - assuming he is fit too (groin problem apparently). If neither are, i havent a clue who we can play on the wings but noble is wasted there. I keep hearing rumours of Boa Morte getting back, we could do with his fight and spirit, even if he's not a great goalscorer.

Green - 7 (no great errors but not much to do either)
Faubert - 7 (didnt do much wrong, great ball for ilan's goal)
Da Costa - 7 (no big problems but lucky with the pen that wasn't given)
Upson - 5 (again, not a great game, terrible distribution at times)
Spector - 4 (To blame for possibly both goals, but didnt let much in from the wing)
Stanislas - 4 (should have been played on the left)
Kovac - 6 (better but still the odd bad ball)
Parker - 8 (pretty faultless, shame about the card)
Noble - 6 (should have played on the right but better in central midfield anyway)
Mido - 4 (again, pretty awful, terrible pen)
Cole - 5 (doesnt look like scoring, got offside about 5 times)

Subs -
Ilan - 7 (cant really question his goal, mido wouldn't have got to it)
Gabbidon - no time to see him really - try him at left back?
Last edited by kitthehammer on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
westhamnil

Post by westhamnil »

Ilan's goal scored by Rooney or Torres wins goal of the season for this season, possession at the back through midfield to a great cross and header. Andy Gray would've wanked himself silly if that was scored by one of the top 4.
That was a great performance, has made me feel a bit of pride in the club after the last few weeks performances. First half was ok, second half was excellent. A point at a bogey team represents a great effort. Just to agree with everyone, Parker was immense.
As I see it, 2 wins from here saves us .
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

the pink palermo wrote:Just got back from a long old drive .

An excellent second half display saw us pick up a much needed and deserved point .To come from behind twice , especially after seeing us fail to convert a penalty was a very creditable performance .

Cole , Parker, Noble, Da Costa , Faubert all put in good shifts , but perhaps the difference today was the absolutely marvellous travelling support .

Easter Sunday , trains up the spout, busy roads , and 0 points from 18 saw a terrific turnout from the away lads who out sung the toffees throughout the entire second half and gave the players the boost they needed despite being behind at the turn .

Boleyn attendees - take note .The players respond to positive support .

Coles best game in a while, and Parker was Parker .

Much much better, 2 wins from the last 5 should be enough , FWIW I think we'll get 3 .
Wanted to pick up on one of the quotes from the travelling support just to say you were different class today.
Came across very loudly on the box. Delighted to hear Over Land and Sea sung at high volume. We need to sing it more at home as it injects real belief into the team.

Great performance in the 2nd half. Where did that come from? Parker has clearly been our best player this season and will soon become a West Ham legend if he carries on playing like today. Immense performance. You could see the desire and fighting spirit in his post-match interview. You always need a talisman to lead the charge and I think he's the one for the next 5 games.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

dodger wrote:However big an assumption it may be to make, I think the fans were the main inspiration today.
Often said, but never more right than today :thup:

Pleased for Zola, he had them playing today and we might have also seen our goal of the season. Faubert involved again, what a difference he makes when allowed to get forward.
deputydogg

Post by deputydogg »

It was aterrific performance by us in the second half and it yet again shows that when we put our minds to it we can compeat with the better sides in the league, i would suggest starting Ilan up front against Sunderland because ****ing kung foo panda Mido is too fat atm. Seeing as Parkers out for the next two games i'd have Stanislas, Berahmi, Noble and Diamati in midfield.

Fauberts ball was superb he really has cum a long way from that lazy individual always giving the ball away. Parker throwing his head towards the ball whilst he was on the floor was jokes he never gives up.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

I note also that Zola sent Ilan over to the fans at the end of the game.

Maybe he is getting the hang of what it actually means to be West Ham.
leeo272

Post by leeo272 »

I caught Upson at the end doing the standard over-the-head-thank-you clap, looking over to the lads, clearly mouthing '****ing brilliant' to himself.

One sight that always makes me proud is the lads celebrating properly in the stands. Too often you see teams get important goals and the fans do one jump then smile with a little clap while we seem to carry on going potty for a good while, trying to run down aisles, kiss strangers, jump on the seat in front of you etc etc. Good show chaps.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Just got back...

We never stopped...but the players gave us something to sing about too. It works both ways, we sing constantly for 90 minutes, and they show us some fight.

Absolute brilliant and unbelievable to come away with a point. Thought Yakubu had ****ed us today, but credit for the way we came back again...

Even the Everton fans applauded our support. A massive confidence booster for our next game at home to Sunderland...just a shame we miss Parker!
Cambiasso
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

Het-Field wrote:Mido 4 Another weak link and poor game. Why he took the penalty is a mistry
Ilan 8 One involvement. Worth 8/10
Ilan actually had two major involvements. One was the goal, and the other was a horrendous clearance from the edge of the box back to the Heitinga in the middle. Lucky for us it came to nothing.

Some people have mentioned that it's good that Diamanti didn't play, as we would have had to carry him. I'd argue that the team carried Mido. I'd much rather have 'carried' Diamanti in the same role than Mido.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Can someone explain why Mido took the pen?
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

west ham15 wrote:Can someone explain why Mido took the pen?
No, not even Mido.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Why noble didn't take it i don't no!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Stanislas didn't do any better than Diamanti at all...

If he was actually coached on how to beat a man and put in a cross...we'd have a dangerous player. Our only out and out winger can't take on people or cross very well. He'll be a good player for sure with that pace...just needs to learn the basics.

I was happy he gave us a bit of width though...so in that respect it was a good change.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Nice to have a weekend evening where the whole world isn't that bit gloomier & it aint because of going back to work. :lol: It's been nearly 6 weeks where shoe shopping with the missus has been a highlight!

Can only imagine how much better Zola feels right now. I'll be the first to admit that I'd finally got to the stage where I'd joined in with those who felt they wanted to see him go, especially after Wolves, but even then I couldn't help feel for him.. He's clearly a good bloke at heart, even if he's not cut out for top flight management, & he looked physically ill in the post match interviews during that & the Stoke game. The difference in his & the interviews with Parker & Green after the match today were like chalk & cheese, & made it clearer, if it was in doubt, just how much he's putting into this...

Not to put a dampener on it at all, but I would like to see Gullivan say NOTHING after this result, just stay completely quiet, but if they must blabber as per usual, let it be something positive & let it be supportive of the team & management...

Because they, & the magnificent traveling support, deserve that today. :thup:
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

leeo272 wrote:I caught Upson at the end doing the standard over-the-head-thank-you clap, looking over to the lads, clearly mouthing 'f***ing brilliant' to himself.

One sight that always makes me proud is the lads celebrating properly in the stands. Too often you see teams get important goals and the fans do one jump then smile with a little clap while we seem to carry on going potty for a good while, trying to run down aisles, kiss strangers, jump on the seat in front of you etc etc. Good show chaps.
When Parker scored at the Bridge last month the noise we made when we scored was proper scary. Some Chelsea fans jumped up all scared :lol:

Also reminds when Harewood scored in the FA Cup semi and there were blokes crowd surfing whilst still kicking and screaming and going mental with a big smile on their faces :lol:
ParkerIsGod

Post by ParkerIsGod »

I'd like to propose another 3 days off for all the players to help prepare for the next game against Sunderland!
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Anybody got the video of Parkers diving header on the floor? :D
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:What is the difficult about taking a penalty ? Why can't our penalty takers just take a good run up, put their f***ing foot through the f***ing ball and f***ing blast it as hard as they f***ing well can ? If the keeper saves it, he saves it, and all credit to him, but surely on most occasions he won't? I can't see the difficulty with this. Mido's pathetic effort this afternoon was awful, an apology of a penalty. I kid you not, even at my age, I would have made a better fist of it than he did
-
Totally agree and dare I say it, watch how Lampard takes a penalty, nearly tears a hole in the f*king net - every time...that was a poor effort, why the f*k didn't Noble take it or even Cole FFS...

Anyway, Noble could so closely have scored - unlucky for a player who's confidence has been lacking - keep going son it will come back.

First half we were absolute shyte - Parker the stand out yet again - no-one else and I mean no-one else in the first half put any effort in, Kovac wandering around in midfield when Noble was going forward on the left - no support for Cole whenever he got the ball.

Second half a different story - we started battling for it even with Scotty on a card - quality pass from Foxbat and cracker from Ilan

Great effort away from home and a well deserved point - could have been three but I'll take a point considering they have only lost twice at home.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Oh yeah forgot to mention, even watching on the TV in the early hours of the morning down here in Melbourne - you away supporters are quality, even had me in my seat quielty chanting while the wife and kids were sleeping "Gianfranco and his claret and blue army" - f*king brilliant.

Plenty of footage of the West Ham supprt aswell, any of you ugly mugs on there ?? :crest: