West Ham Utd 1 Sunderland 0 (10/04/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

QuintonNimoy

Re: West Ham Utd vs Sunderland: match thread

Post by QuintonNimoy »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I don't see how you can say Zubar would have scored more against Daprela.
The fact is, he didn't.
Daprela coped well in that god-awful performance, as he has done in the games he's played - looking composed well above his years.

The only time Zubar got one over on Daprela, was for his goal - in which Spector and Stanislas were solely to blame.
Didn't Zubar hit the crossbar shortly before he scored?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Blimey, that's stretching.

Was that Daprela's fault?

I mean, would it not be that Daprela's man was the midfielder, Foley, and it was Stanislas' job to track any advances from Zubar in our half?
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Blimey, that's stretching.

Was that Daprela's fault?

I mean, would it not be that Daprela's man was the midfielder, and it was Stanislas' job to track their defender in our area?
It may not have been Zubar the first time. Foley maybe? I remember watching the way Daprela was exploited and they seemed to get in fairly easily and thinking that if they managed it again it could be trouble, only to see roughly the same happen quite soon afterwards. It seemed like they were looking for it as a ploy to me, although I take your point about the problems across the whole back 4, and in fact the whole team defensively in that game.

I think when you look at that performance Zola has to make a decision as manager about who he wants to put in to get the team back on track, and it's almost always experience over youth. I imagine Daprela could be quite badly affected by it, despite it not being solely his fault and Zola may want to protect him from that. I wouldn't disagree with something like that on principal, so I guess it depends on the individual.

It's a fine balancing act between trying to protect a young player, but not doing it to the detriment of the team.

If it was indeed the case that Zola is leaving Daprela out of the firing line then it begs the question as to why he let Tomkins get such a kick in the nuts, game after game, without replacing him with Da Costa at all prior to Da Costa's ban.

I really, really like the look of Daprela and it's his composure that impresses me too. A quality that leads me to believe he could have coped with being left in the team after his debut. It baffled me a little as to why he was pulled straight out after a good display against Arsenal on his debut, then getting pulled out again after subsequent solid displays.
Perhaps it is indeed this notion of wanting to protect him.

Who knows.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

IMO Zola just wants an experienced head for a tough relegation battle. I think he suspected Spector is better in the air than Daprela, although you could have fooled me against Everton. Away at Chelsea Daprela was pretty awespme from what I remember as well. It's nice knowing we dont have to worry too much about left-back in the future for now.

It must just be a back's to the wall go with English-speaking experienced, bigger player. But then last time we were relegated a young Johnson looked the nuts...
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I had hopes that Spector would be able to cement the right back position after playing, not always too badly, on his wrong wing where his passing would always be under pressure, but against Arsenal when he did play on the right he had a lot of time and space against the ten men yet his distribution was poor.

Was particularly disappointed when he tried turn inside the opponent Saturday,failed and wrestled the guy to the ground.He should be aware of his limitations.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Funny that, seeing as Daprela made his debut in January and I, among others, have been arguing this very same cry for his inclusion over Spector ever since.
I was one of them. But it's immaterial now given that we're in April.

Yes and no... it can't be changed now, but it's still worth arguing the case of what we feel Zola should have done back then.

But I'm still in the camp that he should be playing now, over the very shaky Spector, as you may have guessed. :lol:
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Daprela was done by Foley, flick on by Doyle and Daprela was half asleep. That is the only time I remember him being done. I like him, he is very confident, good going forward, he concentrates well and IMO he would do a better job than spector. Unfortunately we have a management team who dont have a clue, hence why they never played Da Costa for most of the season.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

nickkarkie wrote:Unfortunately we have a management team who dont have a clue, hence why they never played Da Costa for most of the season.
Or it could possibily be because he's a liability at times, as highlighted by the two goals he was responsible for against Everton and the penalty which he was lucky not to concede for going neck-high on whoever it was.

YouTube links available upon request :wink:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

nickkarkie wrote:Unfortunately we have a management team who dont have a clue, hence why they never played Da Costa for most of the season.
Up the Junction wrote: Or it could possibily be because he's a liability at times, as highlighted by the two goals he was responsible for against Everton and the penalty which he was lucky not to concede for going neck-high on whoever it was.

YouTube links available upon request :wink:
...and allowing Fuller to turn and run at him....
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote:Or it could possibily be because he's a liability at times, as highlighted by the two goals he was responsible for against Everton and the penalty which he was lucky not to concede for going neck-high on whoever it was.
All things James Collins did while he was at the club, yet he's regarded as some kind of god-like superstar.

da Costa is a very similar player to Collins and, in my opinion, he must stay in the team, as we look much more solid at the back with him in it. We actually play like we have a back four with da Costa there, which is something we haven't really done all season when Tomkins, Gabbidon and Spector have played at centre back.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

nickkarkie wrote:Daprela was done by Foley, flick on by Doyle and Daprela was half asleep. That is the only time I remember him being done. I like him, he is very confident, good going forward, he concentrates well and IMO he would do a better job than spector. Unfortunately we have a management team who dont have a clue, hence why they never played Da Costa for most of the season.
The same Da Costa who many experts on here said was no where near good enough for the Premier League!!

It's alright slagging Zola for his team selection but every week we have a Match thread that contains every single variable selection in terms of personel and formation. I think it's fair to say that looking at our squad on paper none of us know the best line up and that includes Zola. At least Zolas managed to pick eleven players each game which is better than some of the posters on KUMB have managed!! :D
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

John, I dont listen to anybody. Hence why I think Da Costa is good, Diamanti and Stanislas are good (both being mis-managed), Cole and Green are average, Daprela is good, Zola and Clarke are ****. If I listened to people on here I wouldnt have those opinions and it has lead to many discussions on here, but that is the point, that is the good thing about the forum and also that is what makes 1 manager better than another, they see things others dont see, hence why I dont rate Zola.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

nickkarkie wrote:John, I dont listen to anybody.
That's what I like about you Nick, your open-minded approach and willingness to take on board other's views. The best thing is that you don't have to read any of the **** on this board, you can just post what you want and ignore everything else.

:lol:
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

The best thing is that you don't have to read any of the sh*t on this board, you can just post what you want and ignore everything else
it certainly helps :D