West Ham Utd 3 Wigan 2 (24/04/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

No Parker intervened. He is too modest to allow a post giving him 11/10.
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

Kovac...9.5

Thought he was brilliant today.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Did I lip read Parker right, did he repeat "My man" pointing at Zola after he scored?

:thup:
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

IIIronss wrote:Kovac...9.5

Thought he was brilliant today.
Had a good game, as you say.

All apart from the pass which lead to the corner where Wigan scored their opener, of course!
Langley Hammer

Post by Langley Hammer »

ClaretBlue18 wrote:Apparently it was off of the hip :?

On a similar note, What was going in terms of the ref going up to the taker for every corner and making sure the ball was in the sector?
From BBC:

Replays showed the ball was outside the corner quadrant when Watson delivered his cross but the goal was allowed to stand.

West Ham's players protested that the Colombian had bundled the ball home with his hand at the far post but, after consulting his linesman, referee Alan Wiley allowed the goal to stand.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Well done West Ham, it was tense watching the game but how good is Scott Parker? pay him what he wants to keep him next season.
Last edited by Langley Hammer on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

You've mixed up their goals; it was their first when it was out of the quadrant
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

prophet:marginal wrote:You've mixed up their goals; it was their first when it was out of the quadrant
the 2nd definitely was
Forever Moore

Post by Forever Moore »

Personally I'll wait until Burnley have lost their match to the scousers today before I give it :raver:
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Stayed up til early hours here to watch, thanks to the gf who just knows how important it is to my welfare to follow the lads through thick and thin and then this morning went out and found the only can of baked beans on this side of the earth, possibly the universe and am having beans on toast with a nice cuppa for brekky - such is the lot of a West Ham United fan - It is never dull and by gum, the beans on toast taste great this morning :) :crest:
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Only saw the goals just now, Parker's is amazing!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5456441/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love how it switches to Arab commentary :lol:

edit: Brilliant pic

Shanghai Hammer

Post by Shanghai Hammer »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:Only saw the goals just now, Parker's is amazing!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5456441/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love how it switches to Arab commentary :lol:[/img]
Thanks for that. First time I have had the chance to see the goals. I love the commentator for the second goal!
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I thought we were gash, defensively shambolic as usual, the problem of incoming crosses is getting embaressing, Upson was awful, Parker was out of this World not just for the Goal, Da Costa's gonna turn into a cult Hero, Faubert too even though i still have my doubts about him, a 4 Man Midfield with 4 x Central Midfielders & the lack of width was horrific.

With those 4 x Central Midfielders you would have thought that they'd give the Defence better protection & they did to be fair but that Defence & one Player in particular is a ****ing joke.

The 2 Full Backs are our problem, add to that when they get beaten & the crosses come in, the only Centre Back that even attempts to clear the Ball is 20 Years old, the problem isn't Rocket Scienice..

Cole & Ilan both got the thubs up forrom me today, they both worked very hard, Franco who came on too. :thup:

Zola Out
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I dont think Upson did much wrong today, but you're cleaerly right BO, we are weak at fullback. Moses mugged Faubert a couple of times and it was just embarrassing. Neil would have done a few snidy 'challenges' on Moses and that would have been that. :lol: Ditto the other side.

Funnily enough until he scored Parker looked a little unfit and off the pace...it was Kovac who was making the crucial tackles and interceptions. But then Parker remembered he is god. :raver:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I dont think Upson did much wrong today, but you're cleaerly right BO, we are weak at fullback. Moses mugged Faubert a couple of times and it was just embarrassing. Neil would have done a few snidy 'challenges' on Moses and that would have been that. :lol: Ditto the other side.

Funnily enough until he scored Parker looked a little unfit and off the pace...it was Kovac who was making the crucial tackles and interceptions. But then Parker remembered he is god. :raver:
Honestly Mate, i don't like Upson admittedly but if he does play well i'd call it..

Today, his distribution & judgement at times, especially in the first half, was awful..

Prker made some superb tackles & blocks, as did Noble & Kovac, Parker was actually at his best after the Goal which was basiclaly the last 15 mins of the Game os i didn't think he was off the pace to be honest, at all..
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

Blinding day out, Parker just the usual Scott Parker superb.

For our second goal I said to my mate this will hit the wall but what a great free kick.

And a big :thup: to Sunderland.

Great day.
garage
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by garage »

Fellas do you think the commentator liked the Kovac goal yesterday :lol:
http://justchelsea.com/west-ham-v-wigan ... afety/1838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
Honestly Mate, i don't like Upson admittedly but if he does play well i'd call it..

Today, his distribution & judgement at times, especially in the first half, was awful..

Prker made some superb tackles & blocks, as did Noble & Kovac, Parker was actually at his best after the Goal which was basiclaly the last 15 mins of the Game os i didn't think he was off the pace to be honest, at all..
Re Upson: I dunno, I thought he did ok. People are giving him a lot of stick at the moment so I've been keeping an extra eye on him and he played ok yesterday, certainly not badly. Especially as when we defend he has to babysit whoever is playing left back. But against Pool he did look woeful. But i can forgive him that because he has had to deal with useless players at the back all season. I didn't notice too much poor distribution or judgment but he did seem to 'thigh' one ball.

Parker definitely improved after he scored. I think the goal gave him a personal kick up the but. Now Ashton is gone he is our most intelligent player by miles. Franco is smart as well as we all saw from the great flickdown.

Noble's performance yesterday enables me to maintain my 'we really shouldn't sign O'Hara' rant in the other thread :lol:
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

Well....

We didn't play very well. But we won. And Scott Parker... I can't speak higher of him as a player. Yesterday had shades of Italia 90' 'Just Look At His Face'.

Noble also gets an honourable mention.

Terrible defending for their goals and in general - and no width which was painful at times.

But forget all that - lets get better next year!
goof

Post by goof »

:raver: Just woke up with a maasive hangover it was along journey back to brum but well worth it,i was gutted when we conceded so early on but not suprised we seem to do that alot.Wigan kept the ball really well through the game and worked the right flank of the pitch very well in both halfs they obviously targeted that.Parker and noble in midfeild were awsome and if it wasnt for them we would have lost the game,i was really dissapointed with cole i think he won one knock done all game,didnt hold the ball up and his ball control was woefull.But i was sitting a couple of rows back left of the goal in the bobby moore lower and when parkers goal went in and at the final whistle i whelmed up,well worth it well done all hammers what a day possibly the most inportant game to date of the clubs history.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Did anyone else notice on MOTD last night that Parker's post match interview was captioned "Scott Parker captain, West Ham United"?

Do they know something we don't? :think: