PSF: MK Dons 0 West Ham Utd 2 (28/07/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Royston: Republic d'Essex
Shaun Ryder changed my life
Location: Being told off: right in front of all the bell boys & the over-friendly concierge.

PSF: MK Dons 0 West Ham Utd 2 (28/07/10)

Post by Royston: Republic d'Essex »

MK Dons Friendly - I'd rather we boycotted them.

Is anybody else uncomfortable with us legitimising this bastardised version of The Dons by playing them of our own volition? I mean, it'd be different if the League or FA cups threw up the fixture, but going their willingly? Bah!

It's a club that only exists because Wimbledon was stolen from its fans and hoiked away up the M1. The FA has a lot to answer for in allowing it to happen like a transient NFL franchise move - treating them like a club that deserves to exist just feels wrong. Don't get me wrong, I always hated Wimbledon (except when they beat Liverpool in the cup final) as they were often a niggly, scrappy, rough & tumble bunch of aggro. But when a club builds on the support and love invested in it by the fans only to be bought by faceless chancers who steal it away, that's just wrong. I can't wait until AFC Wimbledon leapfrog them and I can get on with hating them again.

Playing them in a friendly feels like we're giving tacit approval to their right to exist. If squatters moved into your next door neighbour's house while he was at work you wouldn't pop round for tea and buns with the crusties, would you? The LA Dodgers can go f*ck themselves too.

I'm ranting again, aren't I?
BMU.WIC

Re: MK Dons Friendly - I'd rather we boycotted them

Post by BMU.WIC »

Yep, you're ranting. The cause on the other hand is perfectly justified. I was mortified that the FA rubber-stamped it at the time and like you can't wait to see AFC Wimbledon, firstly do the double over them in the same division then leapfrog them.

The Dodgers can go f*** themselves from me 'an all... :D
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

You can do one if I'm honest. We had a good turn out last time. And AFC Wimbledon can do one too they play in Nurbiton and will NEVER EVER play in Wimbledon again.

AFC Nurbiton.

Oh and may I add that I'm from Milton Keynes and live in Merton and have to listen to this all the time. It's wearing thin. Wimbledon were up shits creek without a paddle nobody gave a toss! they had no ground and no fans. MK Dons took 30k to Wembley and have one of the highest attendances in the league so I think they're better off now.

The fans only cared after they were moved.
Last edited by The Rebirth on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

agree with what's been said :thup:
EastendDawg

Post by EastendDawg »

Isn't this all too long ago now? I agree what happened all those years ago was wrong. Had it only just happened last season I'd support your boycott.

But let's face it. No one from Wimbledon supports the MK Dons nor do I doubt they care anymore. MK Dons have built their own fan base in and around MK now. I hardly feel they deserve a boycott.

Every team has a beginning and as controversial as it was that MK Dons.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

fiar point but waht about the MK inbreds - they actually have something to do on a saturday now
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:fiar point but waht about the MK inbreds - they actually have something to do on a saturday now
Haha at least us inbreds can spell.. :wink:

Most people in MK are from London and funnily enough Scotland. Most supported teams are Arsenal and Man United... throw the Jock teams in the mix.

Lots of them now support the Dons and take their kids to the games season tickets are like £100 so not bad really only problem I have when I go with my inlaws is that they sing "No one likes us" stolen from those scummy Wallys
Last edited by The Rebirth on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

The Rebirth wrote:You can do one if I'm honest. We had a good turn out last time. And AFC Wimbledon can do one too they play in Nurbiton and will NEVER EVER play in Wimbledon again.

AFC Nurbiton.

Oh and may I add that I'm from Milton Keynes and live in Merton and have to listen to this all the time. It's wearing thin. Wimbledon were up shits creek without a paddle nobody gave a toss! they had no ground and no fans. MK Dons took 30k to Wembley and have one of the highest attendances in the league so I think they're better off now.

TBF Most clubs raise a good crowd for a final, i can remember Bournemouth taking a similar number for a playoff final and their crowds are normally 5-6k IIRC.

I worked with quite a few Wimbledon fans, some of whom put alot of money into AFC, so believe me I've heard all the arguments. Plenty of fans did care, just as you say not enough to bring in enough money to keep the club going. After a few years MK Dons do seem to be pulling in good crowds.

However I'm sort of with Royston, Wimbledon should have been allowed to go out of business and reform as AFC if the club couldn't pay it's debts. If people wanted a league club in MK they should have invested in a local club and not been allowed to move another club in.

Saying all that I've arranged a meeting in MK that day so I can go to the game. :D
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

I'm with Rebirth on this. If Wimbledon had more than 8 fans they wouldnt have been moved.

They would have gone bust by now anyway
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
TBF Most clubs raise a good crowd for a final, i can remember Bournemouth taking a similar number for a playoff final and their crowds are normally 5-6k IIRC.

I worked with quite a few Wimbledon fans, some of whom put alot of money into AFC, so believe me I've heard all the arguments. Plenty of fans did care, just as you say not enough to bring in enough money to keep the club going. After a few years MK Dons do seem to be pulling in good crowds.

However I'm sort of with Royston, Wimbledon should have been allowed to go out of business and reform as AFC if the club couldn't pay it's debts. If people wanted a league club in MK they should have invested in a local club and not been allowed to move another club in.

Saying all that I've arranged a meeting in MK that day so I can go to the game. :D
They took more than the Daggers... but I know what you're saying.

Wimbledon are Wimbledon... MK Dons are MK Dons they just used to old Wimbledon for a league place so yes Franchise FC seems fitting the FA have already said it's not going to happen again.

By the way MK City were crap and folded years back! haha.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

The Rebirth wrote:You can do one if I'm honest.

Not true, all those protests although by few were for nothing then.

in my opinion a brand new team has just bought a place in the league unlike Wimbledon of old who rose up through the ranks and went on to win a cup final. to their credit they did it with a hard core "small " support and nobody jumping on the bandwagon of their success. if you think the more support you get then the more you deserve to be there then would it be more of an outrage if Man utd's slot in the league was sold rather than ours ?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

The Rebirth wrote:By the way MK City were crap and folded years back! haha.
Which is why MK Dons are such a disgusting excuse for a football club.

MK had a team. It just wasn't very good so no one in the city bothered to support it. Getting from the depths of non-league and into the football league, takes a lot of time and a lot of hard work. No one in MK could be bothered with all that.

Give them a ready made league place though, and a few trips to Wembley and suddenly there's 30,000 bods wanting to get behind "their" team.

If MK had the appetite for league football, they should have got behind the team they had and made it happen. They didn't. Disgusting glory-hunting charlatans only interested in instant gratification and a blot on English football.
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

James P wrote:If MK had the appetite for league football, they should have got behind the team they had and made it happen. They didn't. Disgusting glory-hunting charlatans only interested in instant gratification and a blot on English football.
:thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

taffhammer wrote:in my opinion a brand new team has just bought a place in the league unlike Wimbledon of old who rose up through the ranks and went on to win a cup final.
Spot on .

To a point .

Let me explain . League Football is largely about money , in simplistic terms the more you have the more chance you have of climbing the leagues . This is broadly true for all leagues : TSV Hoffenheim for example in Germany .

The issue is the source of the money .

When Dave Whelan bought his hometown club they had never been out of the bottom rung ( or thereabouts) , but with his backing they moved up to the top flight , and have stayed there .
MK Dons swapped small gates in an ultra competitive market ( London) for larger gates, and therefore money in what will always be a 1 club city .

Different routes to the top , but the same thing was behind both , money .I would still consider what MK Dons to have done to be the greater of the evils , but not by ,much . We should remember though that historically football clubs have followed the money - usually by following the population migration from mill towns of the North into cities .
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

i can spell - typing lets me down

you are right though - mk is a melting pot of all different types of people who have been chased out of their home town
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

James P wrote:
Which is why MK Dons are such a disgusting excuse for a football club.

MK had a team. It just wasn't very good so no one in the city bothered to support it. Getting from the depths of non-league and into the football league, takes a lot of time and a lot of hard work. No one in MK could be bothered with all that.

Give them a ready made league place though, and a few trips to Wembley and suddenly there's 30,000 bods wanting to get behind "their" team.

If MK had the appetite for league football, they should have got behind the team they had and made it happen. They didn't. Disgusting glory-hunting charlatans only interested in instant gratification and a blot on English football.
The thing is MK City were supported but not on the scale of the Dons the reason why MK City were closed down was because Winkleman bought them he couldn't get Asda and Ikea to fund the new Stadium and closed them down! he approached a number of clubs in the South East and in the end Wimbledon were about to close down so he took them renamed them gave back all thier history (to Merton council) and were elected into the official supporters club/trust.

30,000 bods who have been supporting their home teams (i.e West Ham, Spurs etc) pretty much like much of the of the thousands who went to watch the Daggers... all proper Daggers supporters right? 30,000 bods who are from MK and support their local team.

I'm not saying what they did was right all I'm saying is most people don't know the full extent of the story. They just see London club taken from their roots (what Crystal Palace?) and moved up the M1.
Last edited by The Rebirth on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Sure isnt stadium MK part of the World Cup 2018 bid ?
Royston: Republic d'Essex
Shaun Ryder changed my life
Location: Being told off: right in front of all the bell boys & the over-friendly concierge.

Post by Royston: Republic d'Essex »

It's the principle, dammit!

What difference does the timescale make? - I bet if you spoke to Peter Sutcliffe you'd find that some people are still banging on about those women he killed in the eighties. Move on people! As for "doing one", I was just asking if anyone else was uncomfortable with us giving the Cuckoos tacit approval - wasn't calling for current fans of the club to be hanged from lamp posts.

My point was about West Ham United dignifying their existence with visits... not sure why an MK Dons fan (apologist?) would get so riled about that. You'd think I'd strolled into the Israeli Embassy and started waving pictures of dead Palestinian kiddies about while prodding the counter staff. They'll always be Franchise FC to most fans of real clubs, and as such, I suspect that Mr Rebirth will be "getting this all the time" for some time to come - and from all directions. Sheffield United won't be sending us a Christmas card anytime soon - things that stick in the craw do so for decades. Lampard was getting **** at the Tony Carr testimonial, for example.

I suppose some people would go round for tea and buns with the crusties after a few years, I'd still cross the street to avoid them.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

I'd rather boycott Wigan. At least the MK Dons stadium is alright and easy to get to.

I live in MK and couldn't give a monkeys about MK Dons but then I didn't give a toss about Wimbledon either. Who cares? Wimbledon was on its arse and moved. Fair play to those who set up AFC, but the club as it was wasn't viable.

P.S. Milton keynes is nice. It's clean, there's low crime, easy to get about. Couple of lakes. Good fishing.

P.P.S. AFC WIMBLEDON WILL NEVER LEAPFROG MK DONS. It's a fact because it's in capitals.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:i can spell - typing lets me down

you are right though - mk is a melting pot of all different types of people who have been chased out of their home town
No its not