PSF: Southend Utd 1 West Ham Utd 1 (03/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Matt of iron

Re: Southend Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Matt of iron »

You know the worst part of this.

When Puff sees the score. :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Matt of iron wrote:You know the worst part of this.

When Puff sees the score. :lol:
My guess is that his missus has, and she has pulled the fuses for the telly and computer and hidden all sharp objects !!!! And the cat's done a runner !!!!!

:lol:
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Guv'nor wrote:Spector is just a sodding jinx to this team. No other club will be stupid enough to even take him on a free. whens his contract up? Headbanger
But he is good at reading "Mark Twain" to culturally diverse kids. Fair dos I say
neil_d
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by neil_d »

Unlike most of you it seems, I'm feeling quite upbeat after that. For basically the reserve string they did OK.

Barrera and Stanislas seemed to be able to get down the wings and past men as they wanted (yes, wingers, real wingers!), and Edgar had some lively moments in the middle; we just couldn't find a finish anywhere. Piq seemed to run a lot, but could never quite get sight of goal (his first goal during the warm up was great though), and we really should have more pops at goal... Diamante did, it got deflected, and we scored. (In general, Diamante seemed same as usual: whatever you're opinion of that is!)

At the back, Stech seemed confident - came out to catch crosses all the time (which often scared me) but always got to the ball first, and did a great job of holding on to one of the corners. Da Costa was very good, and Daprela looked fine. Gabbidon played OK, but seemed to try to be too clever at times - trying to pass/dribble his way out of trouble at some of the wrong moments: would get punished by some Premiership strikers.

Kovac didn't impress me really, but I think we need him in the squad. And Spector?...:thdn:

Nouble pretty average. Sears seemed a bit better than I was expecting, but probably should have done better with a clear chance at goal.

Overall, I'm happy with that performance from a reserve side. Southend only really got chances towards the end, when we were mixing up our defence with some young ones, and apart from final ball, there was some lively stuff going forwards. Having width and some pace was also nicer to watch.

Oh, and the away support was great as usual. :raver: :thup:
Bishy

Post by Bishy »

carnage wrote:It's weird how it's largely left footed players who get labelled one footed. Very similar to he "has a great left foot."
But it's not weird that Diamanti gets labelled one footed because he is!
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

How's that when he has scored with his right and it wasn't a miss hit either?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Barrea and Stanislas looked exciting on the wings.
Piquinnoe looks like crap Cole, quite fast can wing headers seems to shoot like Stevie Wonder
Stech was first class, claimed everything in the air, held on to it, really promising
Gabbidon started shaky and settled in by the end of the match
Spector I like as a squad player but he looks lost 99% of the time
Daprela was impressive in patches, really think this lad is special going to be an absolute brilliant player
Kovac had a half decent games, some reasonable passes good tackles and about five free-kicks given away
Dimanti squared up to their number ten after the Southend player tackled him Dimanti tried elbow him and then they all had handbags but they shook hands on the bench
Dimanti is so frustrating twenty five times he beat his man, cross with the right or lay off for someone no, lets play a crap ball in with his left, he's like a genius but he doesn't know how to use his talent, he can do some amazing stuff but also is so frustrating and is not a team player, would be good coming off the bench to add spark.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

fmgod wrote:Dimanti is so frustrating ... he's like a genius but he doesn't know how to use his talent.
I like that. Tonight was a good example ... so often in good positions but that half-second delay makes all the difference (if that makes sense).

As for Spector - not that it matters much, for it appears that many of you who didn't see the game have already made up your minds - but the free kick which led to the goal came after the ball was given away when Spector was in an advanced position. Had he not got back and put in a challenge (which was bang on the edge of the box) the fella was in on goal.

Couple of other comments ... Barrera looked lively and put in some testing crosses ... Kovac ran the show from the centre of the park - a position that is going to be vital to the way we'll play ... Piquionne didn't win a single header all game ... Stech commanding in the air, as already mentioned ... Gabbidon - not sure ... Daprela got kicked all over the shop but kept coming back for more ...
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

On Barrera, i was wondering how quick did he look?
Stanislas quick or Lennon quick?

Also how did edgar do, does he look like he might be useful to bring on from the bench in some games?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Stu...

Barrera didn't really get the opportunity to open up, mostly intricate short-range stuff with a few decent crosses. Switched sides with Stanislas in the second half.

Edgar was involved in a lot, had very busy night.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Up the Junction wrote:
Edgar was involved in a lot, had very busy night.
Cheers UTJ :thup:

Good to here Edgar seems to be doing well, really hoping one of our youth can push on this season! Just a shame that Hines and Collison are out for half the season, I had big hopes for them this season.

Also look forward to seeing Barrera really hoping his pace is of the Lennon mould! :think:
dtp2

Post by dtp2 »

This result was jinxed by the Deportivo match thread starting before this match finished. Fact.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

carnage wrote:It's weird how it's largely left footed players who get labelled one footed. Very similar to he "has a great left foot."
It's true. Take a look at Collison when he next plays...can only use his left foot to stay upright.
Marchweather

Post by Marchweather »

Bishy wrote:But it's not weird that Diamanti gets labelled one footed because he is!
The thing is he is no more one footed than carlton it is just magnified because of how strong his left is.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Gabbidon is amazing.

Like Odysseus marauding and rising from the gates of the burning Hades...

It almost felt like a proper match last night when it got a bit fruity :lol:
razalar

Post by razalar »

Southend were reliably informed that West Ham would bring a full team for last night's game (inside info over here)...

Avram Grant said he wants to play at least eight of those players in the first team this year. Told Southend staff this so I think it might be a way of calming them down for bringing youth/reserve team, with a few 'stars'.
I am Lawro
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by I am Lawro »

I really wouldn't read too much into Piquionne's performance in this game- he's still getting fit!

Saw quite a lot of him last year, and was one of the few shining lights in a grim season for them.

Not quite as good as Cole, but more than capable back up.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Up the Junction wrote: As for Spector - not that it matters much, for it appears that many of you who didn't see the game have already made up your minds - but the free kick which led to the goal came after the ball was given away when Spector was in an advanced position. Had he not got back and put in a challenge (which was bang on the edge of the box) the fella was in on goal.
Forever defending Spector. :lol:

What about Spector actually making a good challenge on the bloke and winning the ball? Was that not something he could have managed, or beyond his capabilities?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Their goal was unfortunate...

Free kick,defended by a wall of two,short pass to an unmarked guy at the edge of the box.

Apart from that they never looked dangerous.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Having said that......

Had a really lousy view from bottom row right behind the corner flag (behind where the free kick was taken)

Makes me love my Seat in the DMU...practically on the half way line.,an incomparable panarama spread before me!