PSF: West Ham Utd 0 Deportivo 0 (5-3 pens) (07/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Xander
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Deportivo La Coruna : Match Thread

Post by Xander »

dodger wrote: All the players look completely nonplussed about winning it, except Piquionne who looks over the moon. :lol:
"Oh yes I'm not a jinx, I'm not a jinx, I can be in a team that wins a cup. I have made West Ham brilliant, me, all by myself, woohoo"

Joking apart sounds like a fairly dull match, but so what? We didn't concede any during the 90mins and we won a cup :raver:
bobo

Post by bobo »

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/We ... 47213.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Bleed Claret
Location: Up Your Arse! Up Your Arse! Stick the Swipecard Up Your Arse!

Post by I Bleed Claret »

new kit looks great in action, but no button on the collar is very odd.. everyone looks like they are playing on casual friday
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Behrami and Ben Haim played for the reserves this morning, but where were Dyer & McCarthy? Not in the reserves, not even on the bench for the first team.

Fat and injured? Tell me it ain't so :?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Well I can see already that Avram Grant will be hounded out by the same fans that wanted Curbs out. Grant will be boring. We won't concede many and we we won't score many, but we'll pick up points.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I think "those" fans will wait a while before drawing comparisons.

He hasn't sacked anyone who's face he doesn't like yet.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

The team that Grant picked yesterday cannot play 451 / 433, hopefully grant was just giving certain players one last chance to impress before he decides who to ship out, for 433 to work for us this season we need to have two from dyer, boa, barrera, sulejmani ( assuming he signs) playing either side of cole, if these players are not available then we should go back to 442! also imo faubert is never in a million years an offensive player, he is uncomfortable with trying to take a man on and prefers to overlap like the fullback that he is, whether he is a decent fullback is open to debate but i would rather he was played there than where grant has been playing him and he should be ahead of tomkins for rightback surely!
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

I thought Matty played well and he was prity solid, and Greeno had a good game too :thup:
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Certainly was an interesting day on Saturday.

I spent most of the 1st half responding to my 5 year old son asking the same question over and over again "What type of plane is that one daddy?" but he saved his best for the second half which was "Which one of those men is Lewis Hamilton??" :lol:

But it wasn't all bad, our lass eventually started to enjoy the match. In the bar at our hotel on saturday night she gave the following analysis

"OK, it wasn't a great game but they weren't bad. Green was good...couple of good saves. The defence was ok. Midfield look solid especially with Scotty and that little fella playing next to him (she meant Noble). The only real issue I can see is up front. You had the midfield doing all the work, creating space but then nobody to pass to. I mean, who's that big bloke who wore the no. 9 shirt. He did nothing. How can he expect to get the ball if he doesn't move. He should look at that bloke who came on in the second half...piggyone?? He was quality. Plenty of running. Oh, and that one who wears no.32. Crap."

Lawro eat your heart out.

I did agree with her comment about Cole. Showed nothing at all. Fell over far too easily on a few occassions in the first half, had a one on one at the end of the half and screwed that up. And again showed no movement in the second.

For all his faults on saturday, Diamanti did provide for me the pass of the game in the scond half. Superb cross field pass out to Faubert who took the ball and ran before whipping in a cross....but unfortunately nobody was in the box.

1st half we playe with more or less last seasons team....we looked no different to last season

2nd half with new players on...started to create some nice play and chances.

Did chuckle when we, as my wife put it, lifted our own cup and the announcement was made "Well, in his first game at UP Avram has got us some silverwear. We're expecting more from you this season Avram" :lol:
matty.h

Post by matty.h »

Looking back it was not as bad as i first thought...

Barrera is gonna be a big player this season and if we can get our hands on a goal-scorer theres goals to be had there...

what worries me is cc(as per) he is so lazy and just waits for the ball to come to him, we need some raw pace up front...

who? i dont know but wewont get remy!!!

good start saturday with a 1-1 draw
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

BillUp wrote:Reid plays right back so I'm sure he will be used there come the start of the season.

I have to agree. Tomkins looked lost. You could see Faubert wasn't to happy with a couple of Tomkins mistakes. Diamanti looked terrible and kept loosing the ball. So did Cole. Hitz looked sharp, so did Noble. Parker didn't have a stand out performance. All in all though, still a good game to watch for my Son's first visit. I'm deaf in one ear and so is the bloke sitting next to him. :lol:
I think Tomkins needs a spell on loan to a championship side to get a bit of confidence back. I know he was playing out of position but that is no excuse for keep giving the ball away under no pressure whatsoever, he done it alot last season which cost us massively and I dont want the kid going down the same road this season. As a defender, if you give the ball away you instantly put the back four on the back foot and then more and more mistakes happen.

And for the record- Upson dont look much better either.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

[quote="matty.h"]

Barrera is gonna be a big player this season and if we can get our hands on a goal-scorer theres goals to be had there...

what worries me is cc(as per) he is so lazy and just waits for the ball to come to him, we need some raw pace up front...

:thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Dannyboylister wrote:Well I can see already that Avram Grant will be hounded out by the same fans that wanted Curbs out. Grant will be boring. We won't concede many and we we won't score many, but we'll pick up points.
That's my take on things too
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

w6hammer wrote:

:thup:
Lazy? Have you watched any off our games? Carlton Cole is not lazy, infact he is probably our least lazy player. :thdn:
Stevey
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Stevey »

hammersgirl7573 wrote:Image
What is Bobby Davro doing there?
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

despite being our best striker by a country mile,cole can be lazy.i watched him closely sat 2nd half and although a friendly he often looked tired and disinterested.he seems like he has a stamina problem to me? and this was noticeable last season at end of games even before he was injured v burnley.
Antnee

Post by Antnee »

Cole was carrying an injury the whole of last season
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

lazy c**t must still have it then :x
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

w6hammer wrote:despite being our best striker by a country mile,cole can be lazy.i watched him closely sat 2nd half and although a friendly he often looked tired and disinterested.he seems like he has a stamina problem to me? and this was noticeable last season at end of games even before he was injured v burnley.
Before Cole's injury against Burnley he was brilliant.

I never saw him look remotely lazy, he only became 'lazy' after being flogged like a dead horse and being forced to play.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

w6hammer wrote:despite being our best striker by a country mile,cole can be lazy.i watched him closely sat 2nd half and although a friendly he often looked tired and disinterested.
Got to say I was less than impressed with CC on saturday. No movement, did look uninterested, went down far to easily at times. Compare to Piq when he came on who never stopped moving and actually got into some good positions in the box. Final balls through limit opportunities though