West Ham Utd 1 Bolton Wanderers 3 (21/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

John. Norway

Re: West Ham Utd vs Bolton Wanderers: match thread

Post by John. Norway »

beckton wrote:No TV's were working in the BML and I didn't watch the big screens so was Upson fouled for the og and was there handball before the third goal?
I would say so yes. We also should`ve had at least one more penalty first half, but the ref made up there, as they maybe should`ve had one 2nd half when Ilunga fauled the dvd seller!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cole apart,I thought the starting XI all did pretty well today.

re: Parker - at long last we didn't look like a one-man band.....his performance was ok with a couple of real creative moments, and is it perhaps a sign that most of the front 6 actually turned up for the first time in years that some have read that as anonymity?
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

beckton wrote:No TV's were working in the BML and I didn't watch the big screens so was Upson fouled for the og and was there handball before the third goal?
Davies realising he wouldn't be able to get to the ball appeared to decide to kick Upson's head into the ball. Presumably he was entitled to go for the ball in that situation... or summink.
Guv'nor

Post by Guv'nor »

I aint too sure, I saw a load of complaining but things was moving a bit too fast for me to keep up. even the guys around me wasnt too sure what had happened. ah well.......MOTD will clear this all up i guess. another dreaded highlight on a sat for us. :thdn:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I thought Davies pushed Upson
John. Norway

Post by John. Norway »

bubbles1966 wrote:I thought Davies pushed Upson
He did, and he kicked him in his face as well. 3rd goal was a clear handball.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

bubbles1966 wrote:Cole apart,I thought the starting XI all did pretty well today.

re: Parker - at long last we didn't look like a one-man band.....his performance was ok with a couple of real creative moments, and is it perhaps a sign that most of the front 6 actually turned up for the first time in years that some have read that as anonymity?
This was what I thought, he played OK and did a few good things but for the first time in a while we seemed to have lots of options so he didn't feature as much as usual.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Quintain is right.

It was right infront of me.

Davies pushed Upson over and booted his head going for the ball.

Wasn't a foul though apparently :thup:
Last edited by Matt of iron on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I only saw a couple of replays but Upson came in at one angle and headed the ball in another entirely. To do that without some assistance would have required one of these:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John. Norway

Post by John. Norway »

1st half when Cole went down the commentator said it should`ve been another penalty. Also they had a clear handball 1st half and the ref and the linesman should`ve given it. I am 100% sure that would`ve been given on Anfield, Trafford, Emirates, Bridge or the Lane.

That is match number 7 or 8 in a row we haven`t won when Marriner is the ref!
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Up the Junction wrote:Oh, and anyone booing one of our own should seriously think about finding another pastime for the weekends.
:clap:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

John. Norway wrote:
That is match number 7 or 8 in a row we haven`t won when Marriner is the ref!
In all fairness, you could say that about nearly every ref :lol:

Where's Steve Bennett when we need him? Always good for a goal, Steve is.
scaramanga

Post by scaramanga »

bubbles1966 wrote:Cole apart,I thought the starting XI all did pretty well today.

Agreed Bubbles 1966 - During that 30 minute first half spell we blew them away and could have quite easily been 3 up. Second half was abit more even. Never come away before, being on the end of a 3-1 defeat and having any sort of positive feelings.

The penalty was obviously a massive disappointment and the *edit* 3 goals were also soft. If we continue to play this brand of football and start tucking away our chances we will be fine.
Last edited by scaramanga on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guv'nor

Post by Guv'nor »

Did anyone here who was at the BML notice how much our goalkeeping coach looked like bobby davro from a distance!?!? i shouted it out and literally everyone around me were pissing themselves laughing. And Kevin davies has probably the worst shaped head ive ever seen. kinda like this guy

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:

A fair point Bubbles & QN .

The much improved contribution from his team mates made him appear to be less dominant - my choice of the word anonymous may have been too strong - I was really just making the point that Noble shone like a polished diamond today .
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:I was really just making the point that Noble shone like a polished diamond today .
:thup:

4-5-1 with snails or defensively minded players in wide positions has done little to aid his game for the last couple of years.

He may benefit from Grant's arrival.
John. Norway

Post by John. Norway »

By all accounts the whole team played really well the first half today. We tore them apart at times.

The lowpoint was that Cole stole the penalty from Nobes and that hampered the rest of his game. First half when one of their players went down for treatment we had a close up picture on Parker, determines as hell trying to fire up the rest of the team to continue playing! He IS very important for us.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

I don't even want to go back a read what's been said earlier since there's bound to be overwhelming negativity. Sure, we didn't deserve that today, but Bolton played the only game they could against us after they were played off the park in the first half. Hoof the ball up the forward in the direction of Gabbidon, flick on, hope for the best. It's no coincidence that when Upson went off, Reid came in, Gabbs switched sides...their attack change directions. Our best defense today was a good offense, Barrera and Dyer keeping the fullbacks and wingers deep, the aforementioned two plus Piqi creating space all over the place. I don't remember a more silent Petrov.

Hopefully we can stay with Gabbs and Upson, they paired well together until Hoofball School went into effect (really, didn't have much to judge them on to that effect either because of Upson going off). They won't have to deal with two human battering rams every week, fortunately.

I don't know what was up with Carlton today, his touch was poor, seemed slow to react, and was pretty poor in the air. The usual boo boys will say that's the actual Carlton Cole but today was probably one of the worst performances I've seen of his in C&B. I'm expecting this to be the exception, not the rule. I don't see where Parker was so bad, it looked to me like he was the midfielder pushing forward whereas Noble played deep, and really there just wasn't many opportunities for him to shine as he wasn't so heavily relied on.

In the end, I can't be disappointed. For the most part bad luck and good goalkeeping is what did us in. As TPP said we will play worse and win games if today was anything to go by.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

We played well for the last 35 mins of the 1st half...but didn't score (as usual)

We have to learn to make the most of those situations....yet again our heads dropped as soon as Notlob scored their very iffy first.

Grant will have to work on team spirit...its a huge part of what is wrong with the boys right now.
John. Norway

Post by John. Norway »

Romford wrote:We played well for the last 35 mins of the 1st half...but didn't score (as usual)

We have to learn to make the most of those situations....yet again our heads dropped as soon as Notlob scored their very iffy first.

Grant will have to work on team spirit...its a huge part of what is wrong with the boys right now.
:thup: