West Ham Utd 1 Bolton Wanderers 3 (21/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PrinceH

Re: West Ham Utd vs Bolton Wanderers: match thread

Post by PrinceH »

irving boleyn wrote:
Those three goals all through the middle...need a powerhouse there!
And where was da Costa to be seen?? (We miss him!)
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Romford wrote: We have to look at how a team like Bolton have beaten us 7 times in a row...and what is it they have that we don't.
Mainly because we constantly throw in goals against them from long high balls up and at us.
tartanammer

Post by tartanammer »

[quote="prophet:marginal"][quote="Romford"]We have to look at how a team like Bolton have beaten us 7 times in a row...and what is it they have that we don't.[/

Bottle
tartanammer

Post by tartanammer »

i'm away 2 stick my head in the oven for appriox 7 mins anyone fancy ?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Two things that occured from the highlights:

1. Pablo Barrera needs to think quicker. Cole's shot, palmed away, Barrera cuts inside instead of reading the path of the ball. Needs to be shown that next week.

2. Winston Reid should be shot if he ever turns his back on a shot inside the six-yard box again.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Romford wrote:
Grant will have to work on team spirit...its a huge part of what is wrong with the boys right now.
i agree with that,we lack team spirit,character and guts to fight back when we go behind.This has been the case for the last year or so.when was the last time we came from behind(apart from wigan last season) to win a game.think it was stoke in dec 08. we havent won away in the prem since wolves 1st game last season.says it all,a team devoid of character and team spirit.tho early days with the next 4 games coming up we maybe pointless by october.i get a bad feeling already about this season. :thdn:
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Da costa either is injured or just didnt get picked because he was at the match today as i saw him come out the ground after the match.
Joe_B

Post by Joe_B »

Up the Junction wrote:Two things that occured from the highlights:

1. Pablo Barrera needs to think quicker. Cole's shot, palmed away, Barrera cuts inside instead of reading the path of the ball. Needs to be shown that next week.

2. Winston Reid should be shot if he ever turns his back on a shot inside the six-yard box again.

Yeah that wasn't pretty to see from a "central defender". He was using the wrong foot to try and block the shot too.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Romford wrote:
We have to look at how a team like Bolton have beaten us 7 times in a row...and what is it they have that we don't.
Kevin Davies.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

So stop the supply...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

irving boleyn wrote:"Faubert humbled me....."

I had previously given up on him and called him a liability.

Because he is a liabilty ??

Your first thought is your right thought fella.... :lol:

Got to get rid this week...
Marchweather

Post by Marchweather »

the problem is the cb' could not deal with aerial threat if you see elmanders goal faubert was the only one jumping with him gabbidon and reid were lost.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

By Kevin Davies, I meant the persona, as well as the player.

He epitomises everything about Bolton, nothing fancy, nothing sexy, nothing pretty. Gritty determination, making the most of what god gave you, despite it not being as good as some of the other players/clubs in the league.

McCarthy got Wolves playing that way last season too.

No superstars, just 11 blokes working double hard.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Marchweather wrote:the problem is the cb' could not deal with aerial threat if you see elmanders goal faubert was the only one jumping with him gabbidon and reid were lost.
Reid was left with two men and gambled on the wrong one. Not his fault.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Marchweather wrote:the problem is the cb' could not deal with aerial threat if you see elmanders goal faubert was the only one jumping with him gabbidon and reid were lost.
Faubert did very little to put the fella off and hardly left the ground...considering he's built like Mike Tyson you'd hope for something a bit more hefty.

Da Costa has done little wrong and would have been perfect for todays game !? (every game in my book)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Chuck D wrote:By Kevin Davies, I meant the persona, as well as the player.

He epitomises everything about Bolton, nothing fancy, nothing sexy, nothing pretty. Gritty determination, making the most of what god gave you, despite it not being as good as some of the other players/clubs in the league.

McCarthy got Wolves playing that way last season too.

No superstars, just 11 blokes working double hard.

Ala Everton...I agree.

But its the way WE play against them is the problem. You don't get 7 wins in a row against a team with far more financial clout by accident. Hard work and gritty determination should come as standard.

We have to have a long hard look at the mental side of things...IMHO of course
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote: Reid was left with two men and gambled on the wrong one. Not his fault.

You give Bolton time to put a decent cross in and you have problems full stop....its what they dream of.

Our team is far too easy to score against...as the record already shows.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

You are right about the seven wins, and Bolton certianly do seem to have some kind of hold over us.

And you are right about the mental side of things.

The question with all these things are "who is right".

I recall HR had a "all lads together mentality", then Roeder came in and said that he was clueless, and needed to do something else, then when Pardew arrived, there were little positive messages all round the club, then when Curbs came in, he brought his own people and ideas. Likewise, when Zola arrived he was going to sort everything out, and I am sure that Grant has changed things again.

No cintinuity for the best part of ten years now.

I know you dislike him, but I once read an interview with Wenger, and he said that the most important thing about a player that he will be interested in signing is the mental side of their game, and personality. He can coach to improve fitness, or football ability, but not the person underneath, so he wont sign a player regardless of how good they may or may not be, unless they fit into what he wants to see.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Chuck D wrote:You are right about the seven wins, and Bolton certianly do seem to have some kind of hold over us.

And you are right about the mental side of things.

The question with all these things are "who is right".

I recall HR had a "all lads together mentality", then Roeder came in and said that he was clueless, and needed to do something else, then when Pardew arrived, there were little positive messages all round the club, then when Curbs came in, he brought his own people and ideas. Likewise, when Zola arrived he was going to sort everything out, and I am sure that Grant has changed things again.

No cintinuity for the best part of ten years now.

I know you dislike him, but I once read an interview with Wenger, and he said that the most important thing about a player that he will be interested in signing is the mental side of their game, and personality. He can coach to improve fitness, or football ability, but not the person underneath, so he wont sign a player regardless of how good they may or may not be, unless they fit into what he wants to see.
And Whinger is the bloke who signed Gallas, Lehman and Walcott ??

Don't believe a word that c@nt says mate..he will have you believing that there is a difference between the way Barca went for Fabregas and how he is going for Shwarzer :evil:

If we bought in Moyes now...do you think we'd still have probs ??
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1668 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Agree a bit with Chuck and Romford.

Virtually impossible to change a players mentality. Bit like people you work with really. There are some who work their b*llocks off. There are some who won't. It doesn't matter what the job is, some people make great lavatory cleaners, some people make great bosses.

You can train people to improve their ability and their decision making and even to a degree their speed. But what you can't change is their work ethic. We have some people who don't give a flying f*** when the chips are down. Great when things go their way, but when they don't you might as well pack up and go home. How many games have we won by coming from a goal or even two down ? Not many that I can remember. Not lately anyway.