West Ham Utd 1 Bolton Wanderers 3 (21/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerbenj

Re: West Ham Utd vs Bolton Wanderers: match thread

Post by hammerbenj »

bubbles1966 wrote:
The next game will most likely be unpleasant unless we sign a good centre half this week.
bubbles, grant has just bought TBH and reid and we already have gabbs and da costa, there is no chance of a new centre half coming in.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Anyone who watched yesterday's game, and who failed to see the improvement in our creativity and goal threat must have sh*t in their eyes. More reasonable efforts in one game than we had for months on end under the previous management.
Completely agree, yet most had left early and a fair number of those who stayed booed at the end. :thdn:
iron i

Post by iron i »

I thought we were very unlucky yesterday! Barrera looked like hes guna be a hit! Their 1st goal was a foul, thought we should have been awarded at least 1 more pen aswell.

We lost the game, we will lose more, but what no one can disagree with (unless your a blind), is that we looked good in the 1st half especially. Give them time, negativity gets you knowhere, this is west ham so expect a ride, and dont lie we all love the ride! Lets make upton park horrible for visiting teams again, too many c**** in that stadium, booooo im hard!!
snube

Post by snube »

any one on here whinging is an idiot, we had 11 shots first half, missed a pen, hit the post, had a chance cleared basically off the line, jussi saved well from carlton one on one, we were actually taking shots (not diamanti style), i also thought upson dealt excellently with davies first half. shame about the result but as long as the players/fans dont get down when we we're bottom 3 after 6 games i reckon we'll be fine, im excited about the season!
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

hammerbenj wrote:not a dig but a genuine question.

i read constant slagging off of upson's captaincy on here yet zola and now avram didn't/don't show any signs of changing it, why is that?
I was led to understand - when he signed - that he would be vice captain and captain in Neill's absence.

Its possible that whoever negotiated the contracts put that stipulation into his.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

snube wrote:any one on here whinging is an idiot, we had 11 shots first half, missed a pen, hit the post, had a chance cleared basically off the line, jussi saved well from carlton one on one, we were actually taking shots (not diamanti style), i also thought upson dealt excellently with davies first half. shame about the result but as long as the players/fans dont get down when we we're bottom 3 after 6 games i reckon we'll be fine, im excited about the season!
Gimme some of that stuff your on :)
No seriously, i agree with what you say up to a point, the problem will be when we lose the next two games and are bottom with no points from 4 the confidence will evaporate and we could then start playing really poorly.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Snube

Is right - mostly - despite him not being able to see the game due to his hair being in his eyes.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

its not rocket science to state this fact. we should have buried bolton in the first half." goals win football matches", "goals give teams confidence"defences play better with the pressure taken off them".bolton knew when they went in at half time that we had let them out of jail! i would be more worried if we had played poorly.positives dyer back,barrera quality. lets get manure, chelscum out of the way and then i think our season will kick off."keeping the faith" :crest:
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Its all very well saying that we are more creative (which I agree with), but what was quite clear from yesterdays game was that our defence is still as poor as last year. We cannot defend high balls into the box. Unless we sign a centre half who is able to defend crosses, it is going to a long long season.

Whilst Gabbidon wasnt the worst of our defenders yesterday, he is not a premiership defender. I don't dislike Faubert or Illunga, but I think we need to admit that they are not good enough, since we continue to concede goals. I struggle to see why we continue tosign and be linked with midfielders, when defenders is what we need. Reid looked ok yesterday, but for me, he looked similar to Da Costa...

On the positives, Barrera was excellent and Dyer did well. Cole was awful....he didnt deserve to be booed, but for me, he doiesnt work hard enough.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

smuts wrote:Mainly because we constantly throw in goals against them from long high balls up and at us.
They're not scoring from the long balls though. They're scoring from winning the second ball, which has been Bolton's strength for near the past decade; using players who can win the first ball or put the opposition defence under pressure, and have clever attackers/midfielders who can be first to the knock downs/loose balls. I think it's a harsh reflection of their style of football which was very inter-changeable in the last few Allardyce years.

A team built on organisation, they've proven you can remain in the Premiership without having to spend huge amounts to lure the billy big b*llocks like we have on our books, and have spent much more time playing European football than West Ham in the past decade. In Jaaskaleinen and Davies they have two players who lead from the back and lead from the front. £100k and a free transfer respectively. Shrewd ****ers!
Midfield Dynamo

Post by Midfield Dynamo »

To be honest I dont care that we was the better team , we had no bite , they scored more by taking there chances and we didnt, we look really bad, if we cant beat teams when we are the better team then thats a big problem, I know its only too games in but after lossing both of them conceding six goals, we are looking like the Portsmouth of last year :(
Earl K

Post by Earl K »

Wade wrote: Grant getting stick already :lol:

Its the players, not the manager for crying out load!
Well, if it was just the players we wouldn't need a manager, would we?
Anyway, I take it Grant picks the players, and they're not up to it.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Just watched the highlights on football first.

It's funny Reading peoples views once I have watched the game for myself (although extended highlights).

My thoughts.
Kevin Davies is always a handful but untill upson was fouled, kicked in the face and injured we had him covered. I thought Upson played well and when He went off we missed him.
Llunga and faubert were at fault for the second two goals, no closing down and keeping tight from Llunga. Time to drop him and bring in Deprela.
Goals change games and Carlton should of let Noble do what he does best for the first pen.
Berrea,Pic, Dyer, noble and Parker all played well IMO.
We showed what we can do when we put our minds to it.
I think were gonna be alright :thup:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Keeping hearing how well we did the first half, but why did it all fall apart in the second?

I did'nt / have'nt even seen any highlights - genuine question?
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:Keeping hearing how well we did the first half, but why did it all fall apart in the second?

Just didn't start well, conceded fairly early which gave Bolton control.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Spot on bubbles, lets not forget due to the world cup Grant hasnt had a great deal of time to work with a fair chunk of his squad, so he certainly needs to be allowed a bit more time to work on the mindset of some of these players, alot of positives for me from yesterday, grant being one of them, when i saw the lineup at villa last week i didnt expect us to get anything from the game and i worried that grant would be stuborn with his policy of playing 433/451 no matter what, but to be fair to him he has seen we don't have the players to play that way and changed it round, yesterday he picked a team with plenty of pace and movement in it, and it showed in the first half with the best attacking display at the boleyn for a while, if we stay relatively injury free and bring in a rightback, a midfielder and a striker that are good enough to go straight in the team ( we have enough backup now imo) we will be fine, a centre half would be nice but unless someone leaves i can't see this happening!
John. Norway

Post by John. Norway »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:Keeping hearing how well we did the first half, but why did it all fall apart in the second?

Their first goal- that shouldn`t been, and Upson going off changed the game 2nd half.
Iron Alex
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron Alex »

An unfortunate result yesterday, one which we could easily have won comfortably had we brought a striker with a predatory instinct. I actually thought that Piquionne had a decent game, but he is a mark II of CC.
Other positives I thought were the performance of Mark Noble who used the ball well and actually looked capable of opening up a defence. Also, Barrera looked very promising, constant threat and didnt give their defence a moments peace.

The most worrying for me was the way in which we crumbled after we conceded the first goal. With Upson lying on the floor, the rest of the team seemed to just looked around, heads dropped & almost accepted defeat with 45 minutes remaining. Im not a cynical person, but what was wrong with Upson? He seemed to walk of the pitch with a bit of a nose bleed, thats all? Why didnt he come back on? I thought he was a bit selfish there.

One thing for sure is we need an a dominant presence at centre half, as the thought of Upson, Tomkins, Gabbidon, Reid & Da Costa for the rest of the season doesn't fill me with too much confidence.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

[quote="Iron Im not a cynical person, but what was wrong with Upson? He seemed to walk of the pitch with a bit of a nose bleed, thats all? Why didnt he come back on? I thought he was a bit selfish there.

One thing for sure is we need an a dominant presence at centre half, as the thought of Upson, Tomkins, Gabbidon, Reid & Da Costa for the rest of the season doesn't fill me with too much confidence.[/quote]

Didn't he have a broken nose? What a pussy, fancy not playing on......
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Earl K wrote:
Well, if it was just the players we wouldn't need a manager, would we?
Anyway, I take it Grant picks the players, and they're not up to it.
Were you on here last year Earl?