West Ham Utd 1 Bolton Wanderers 3 (21/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Bolton Wanderers: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Up the Junction wrote:Grant's post-match press conference (and still the only place you'll find it in full):

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=124879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And Owen Coyle's: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=124880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

got the impression that all was not well between gabbidon and faubert yesterday saw them exchanging words on more than one occasion.
also.
read a comment from avram this morning on penalties : "it's up to the players to decide who takes them". No avram thats what you're getting paid for mate. If noble has to wrestle the ball off cole fatty or whoever, it only ups pressure on him when there's no need. At the moment, he's our bst penalty-taker, tell your other employees that they let him get on with it, thanks.

and Newham Council , just suspend the permit bays on a matchday you moneygrabbing arseholes. thanks again.
Ironza

Post by Ironza »

First Post, long time lurker.....!

I felt we were fantastic in that first half and played at a really hight tempo. By putting pressure on them and not allowing them to settle meant they were not able to play to their strengths. Most of the long balls they played forward were dealt with by us or went out for a goal kick or straight to the keeper. Us not converting our chances cost us big time yesterday and the first goal is always crucial. If you look at some of the games played today and yesterday, nearly every side that missed a penalty resulted in costing them maximum or any points at all!

We got off to the worse possible start in the second half and it was typical for a side that has done nothing all game to score so early. From where I was sitting, Kevin Davies had every right to go for the ball and Upson's decision to head was always going to lead to an own goal (foul or no foul). We defended poorly for the other goals conceded and could not handle the aerial assault in that second period. If we went in 1 up I'm sure the result would have been a lot different.

I feel our biggest problem lies with not having a settled back four. Any side needs to have that and unfortunately we have had constant changing in that area of the pitch. I felt Gabbidon done well in the first period but losing Upson forced another change. I think he needs a run of games before anyone can write the bloke off. He's been out for such a long time and it's only natural that he needs to play games. I feel Tomkins needs to go out on loan for at least half the season - his confidence seems to have been hit hard and I feel a stint in the championship will do him the world of good.

Barrera looked lively, its nice to see a player who is not afraid to go and run at the full back.

It's not the start we hoped for but we need to stick with the team. The treatment of Carlton Cole when he was coming off was an absolute disgrace. I've been a regular for years but did not re-new my season ticket this or last season. One of the things I loved most about West Ham was sticking by their players no matter what. The bloke was only on Sky the day before saying how much he wanted to stay. Can't say the same for some of the other so called big names. Times have changed at the Boleyn big time and its this kind of attitude that has put me off going completely........
IronsEnthusiast

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

Thought we were very good first half but it seems we'll never shake this habit of gifting Bolton stupid goals. I do think there were some positives. Piquionne could become a good player for us once he settles and I like Barrera's habit of trying to look for opportunities to shoot. Hopefully that will rub off on other players because we lack confidence around the box.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Ironza wrote:First Post, long time lurker.....!
Welcome...
Ironza wrote: From where I was sitting, Kevin Davies had every right to go for the ball and Upson's decision to head was always going to lead to an own goal (foul or no foul).
Agree with much of the rest of your post, but don't agree with this - Upson wasn't heading the ball, as I said in the Davies thread, he was pushed down.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Albie Beck wrote: Agree with much of the rest of your post, but don't agree with this - Upson wasn't heading the ball, as I said in the Davies thread, he was pushed down.
I've watched the replay a few times now, and he was always going to head the ball. I can't really see the push.

That said, he was clearly trying to do his best with his head to push it wide until he was kicked in the face. As much as Davies is that sort of player I don't think there was anything in it and it's always dangerous trying to head a ball that low. What I think happened is that Matty was counting on a bigger bounce then the one he got which is why he chose to play it with his head. Plus the fact that Davies trailed him instead of playing his body I think lured him into a false sense of security to make such a move.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

As stated by others -- first half we played well -- unlucky not to be a couple of goals up, but all credit to their goalie who played a blinder during the first 45.

We lost our drive when they popped the first one in -- even when we scraped thru' with Noble's penalty, we never looked like dominating the midfield again.

Bad result, but we certainly played better than last week.
m@robson

Post by m@robson »

Another long time lurker first post.... here goes.

I was at the game Saturday and like most think we played pretty well but lacked the final ball or cutting edge coupled with a very good performance from their keeper, But the ease that Bolton scored their goals showed the weakness we have at the back, and I'm concerned that most of the transfer dealings have been for more advanced positions. Though I'm hopeful tal ben hiem can fill one of the issues at the back but having not paid much attention to him previously I'm not sure.

All in all they took their chances we didn't, but we were much improved from the previous week, I fear for the next two games, plan for the worst hope for the best.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

after creating that pressure it was vital to score. cole choosing to take a 3 yard approach and push the ball tamely towards the goal was a massive mistake, which cannot be put down to 'just one of those things'. He doesn't have the finesse to take that type of penalty successfully. He should never take a penalty again. All IMHO of course.

Upson trying to do an impersonation of Gary Breen didn't help matters either

Playing well is nice, but we should be picking up 3 points against a Bolton side that is nowhere near as good as the team under Allardyce. The fact we haven't, is down to the supposed main players not performing to the level they should have done.

Piss poor

Will we get out of the bottom five by Christmas?....I wouldn't bet on it personally
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

After watching the replay again (because I was wondering what Reid was complaining about during the last goal) there was what looked like a clear hand ball from Taylor? as he ran into the box bringing down the long ball. Would have been very hard for the referee to see though and it may only be clear through my claret and blue tinted specs.

The game was just one of those where luck seemed to be against us from the start. However, we really need to make our own luck this season. We need to play for 90mins every game, especially with the next few really tough fixtures. We could well enter October at the bottom of the table (or with no points) but that shouldn't be the measure of our season. Its really important for the fans to stay behind the team regardless of what the media is saying about our results.

Perhaps this makes the Oxford game all the more important.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

when it comes to the push and shove of teams like bolton and stoke, certain of our players just don't seem savvy enough to cope with it. we seem to have had very few over the years who are wily enough to deal with that side of things

if you're running towards the ball, with a player like davies behind you, then you should be prepared for the shove in the back, not just readily being pushed over like a muppet

we were done again, just like we've been done before. it's getting tedious

maybe it's down to the coaching. Grant observed the amount of pushing going on and the referee's inability to deal with it. well he can't sort the refs out so let's hope he instills some guile into the players
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

bonehead, the sort of scenario where Neill would have thrived?

We need to be very careful with upcoming signings - as well as the requisite football skills, make sure they have the mental toughness of Neill and Bellamy.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

I liked Neill when he arrived, for that very reason. Must admit I thought that latterly he started to lack a bit of pace, but your point is no less valid

definitely need a few more players with the right moxy
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Ironza wrote:First Post, long time lurker.....!

I felt we were fantastic in that first half and played at a really hight tempo. By putting pressure on them and not allowing them to settle meant they were not able to play to their strengths. Most of the long balls they played forward were dealt with by us or went out for a goal kick or straight to the keeper. Us not converting our chances cost us big time yesterday and the first goal is always crucial. If you look at some of the games played today and yesterday, nearly every side that missed a penalty resulted in costing them maximum or any points at all!

We got off to the worse possible start in the second half and it was typical for a side that has done nothing all game to score so early. From where I was sitting, Kevin Davies had every right to go for the ball and Upson's decision to head was always going to lead to an own goal (foul or no foul). We defended poorly for the other goals conceded and could not handle the aerial assault in that second period. If we went in 1 up I'm sure the result would have been a lot different.

I feel our biggest problem lies with not having a settled back four. Any side needs to have that and unfortunately we have had constant changing in that area of the pitch. I felt Gabbidon done well in the first period but losing Upson forced another change. I think he needs a run of games before anyone can write the bloke off. He's been out for such a long time and it's only natural that he needs to play games. I feel Tomkins needs to go out on loan for at least half the season - his confidence seems to have been hit hard and I feel a stint in the championship will do him the world of good.

Barrera looked lively, its nice to see a player who is not afraid to go and run at the full back.

It's not the start we hoped for but we need to stick with the team. The treatment of Carlton Cole when he was coming off was an absolute disgrace. I've been a regular for years but did not re-new my season ticket this or last season. One of the things I loved most about West Ham was sticking by their players no matter what. The bloke was only on Sky the day before saying how much he wanted to stay. Can't say the same for some of the other so called big names. Times have changed at the Boleyn big time and its this kind of attitude that has put me off going completely........
Post more often.