Manchester Utd 3 West Ham United 0 (28/08/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westhamnil

Re: Manchester Utd vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by westhamnil »

Media reaction has been quite funny, had we gone there and opened the game up probably getting spanked by 5 or 6 they would have called us naive, let alone the mental effect on the team. We go there, play to a plan and keep it tight and they say we're in big trouble. Smacks of double standards in my opinion.
Aside from that, if Vidic has an easier game this season I'd be surprised. CC is so frustrating, I've seen him really terrorise Terry at the Bridge. Yesterday it was like he agreed not to go near Vidic all game. The 2 second half goals yesterday were contirbuted to by Gabbs slip (not his fault btw) and Spector going walkabout when he should be tight to Berbatov. I also thought the pen was pretty soft.
I still see us mid-table this season, I think we'd have 3 points on the board but for Cole's antics last week.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Surprised people were expecting us to set up any different for a trip to OT.

Realistically, the only way you're gonna get anything from a trip to Man U is to set up defensive, keep it tight and try and pinch a goal in the second half. To be fair, it was going to plan until Spectors abberation. If we'd gone in 0-0 we might have got something from the game. Once Man U led it did seem like game over but we won't be the only ones to have this happen to them.

Its not about being defeatist, its about cutting your cloth accordingly.
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

dont understand the problem if you had been there you would know that we won 4-3,lol lets pretnd that we have scored ****ing priceless :D
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I think the damge Zola did to this club will take a long time to repair. Players were allowed to do what they wanted, disipline was non existent and promises were made that quite frankly were criminal.

Confidence of our younger players has been shot, and no leadership amongst the senior players.

I don't mind players being s*it, we have always had two or three, but they always put in the effort which was forgivable.

What I see on the pitch is players who think and have been told that they are better than they are, players who walk off after a loss laughing and joking then jump in their cars that cost more than most peoples salary and swan off to their big houses and play their PS3's.

I think it is a massive task for the new manager, and don't know what the owners can do to help sort it out other than what they are doing.
So being **** this year as we were last year is Zola's fault? It would be because of Grant if we great of course?
solar hammer

Post by solar hammer »

You can't blame Zola for Avram making the same ludicrous decisions as he did.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I just dont see the point in going to man u defensively.
We know they will score at some point and being as we need to learn how to score a goal again, if we know we are going to lose we may as well use the match for shooting practice and learn how to attack again because we have been toothless so far this season.
Cole didnt win a ball all match and i'm beginning to wonder if he might be the problem to our whole team set up rather than the solution, Its too easy for him to be seen as an emile heskey type player who on a good day wins the ball and holds it up for others but at the moment he isnt doing it and the others arent keeping up with him anyway when playing 451.
We need for attack to be our best form of defence.

We were always going to lose this match and deserved to by the scoreline it ended at. I think we are improving by about10% each match but we're still only 50% and playing chelsea next wont help. But again, why not just go into it attacking if its pretty much nailed on we'll lose anyway?

Dyer may have ran around a bit but what was the end product? still nothing.
What is it about faubert that whenever he plays wide right he suddenly cant cross a ball?

I actually thought Gabbidon was the best of our defenders and i think we can afford to let upson go once da costa is fit again.
Parker seems to be the only player to make an incisive run into the box but has to spend 90% of the match defending.
Why not bring barrera and piquionne on at half time? We look a better team once they are on the pitch.

We will improve but just have to write off these two matches because at the moment we are simply not good enough. We will be though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1664 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

kitthehammer wrote: I think we are improving by about10% each match but we're still only 50% and playing chelsea next wont help. But again, why not just go into it attacking if its pretty much nailed on we'll lose anyway?

So Kit another 5 games before we will get a win, and still be pointless after 8. You need to go and try to cheer up the lot in the "Any Positives" thread........

:lol:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Ironza wrote: We conceded 3 at Villa and 3 at home to Bolton. To completely drain any confidence the side may have left it was best to play that way. Do you seriously think if we went 4-4-2 against them we would of had a chance of winning considering we have already conceded 6 prior to the game? I hear what you are saying about going for it but we would have been punished further leaving all that space behind. If didn't concede for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half I believe we would have opened up a bit more......
So instead of our defence losing all their confidence (which they will already have done because we conceded 3 goals) our attackers lose theirs too by failing to score from open play again.

I dont see how our defence got any confidence from a performance where, we played negatively, tried to shut up shop and were still torn apart several times. If we'd gone for it, got beaten but scored a goal and scared them for a little while we might have had something to take away from the game. What we actually did was just roll over and however tight we kept it for the first 35 minutes or so, us believing we could stop Man U scoring at home for a full 90 minutes is just insanity.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Stumpy wrote:dont understand the problem if you had been there you would know that we won 4-3,lol lets pretnd that we have scored ****ing priceless : D
You must have left early, or for the Fire Drill! Everyone knows it was 5-3 in the end :lol:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

bombay590 wrote:What we surely needed was some players with some hunger and desire.Whilst I realise its not just that simple should we not be pursuing young english/ british players from the Championship.
-
We have some of those, Stanislas, Hines, Nouble, Sears,....ah sh*t no we don't we loaned them all out.....if the "Star Players" can't perform, then bench them for f*ck's sake while it's still early enough in the season to catch up points wise.

I agree with most people on here, not many teams outside of the top four or six go to Man.U expecting a point or three, that's the way it is these days, however - and as already mentioned, we just seem to buckle so easily - no fight no passion, even Parker seems below par in these early stages of the season, I go back to last year when he headed the ball whilst on the floor - fkn hero !!! why does it always take the serious threat of relegation towards the end of the year before the fight is there in our players...LBM played well at the end of last year, Cole did reasonably well last year, but here we are again and they are mostly shithouse... Headbanger
solar hammer

Post by solar hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: If you think he's the answer today then you're even more of a clueless c*** than I had you down for.
I've just read the rules for this forum, rules I presume you made.
Superb, leading by example I see. Now where is my £15?