West Ham Utd 1 Chelsea 3 (11/09/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by libero »

So, to sum up - there are those who think the following:

Green's blunder and subsequent dropping from the England team have shot his confidence to pieces.

And therefore, what we should do now, after a couple of dodgy games, is er...... drop him and replace him with a bloke none of us have ever seen play :?

I think I must have missed something there
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Another depressingly predictable result and I am trying hard to take some positives away from the game.

Positives
1. Dyer looking quicker,hungrier each game
2. Jacobsen looks solid at RB
3. Parker's best match of season
4. Obinna looks promising
5. We ARE creating chances

Negatives
1. We AREN'T taking those chances
2. TBH needs to go on same diet as Benni Mac
3. Cole looks shot IMO
4. Barrera on the bench?
5. Yes, Noble & Parker are showing some much needed 'fight' but need to rein it in - 5 bookings already between them!

I could list more negatives but as I said I am trying to stay positive.

Hoping that Villa beat Stoke tonight so we can go to the Brittania next week both on nil points. Can't believe that in September we are going to be playing a 6 pointer already. This game is now MASSIVE - we simply MUST win, it could kick start our entire season. I ceratinly do not want to be entertaining the Filth with a record of played 5, lost 5. COYI :crest:
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

Just for the record I'm not suggesting Green be dropped, far from it, but his confidence is shot and the WC event was a catalyst for that.

Drogba's free kick brought that back imo.

I just keep imagining other teams exploiting his weaknesses at set pieces whilst rueing at our own inability to turn Green's reluctance in coming off his line.

Yes I'm asking some questions of the coaching staff because they have the means to change Green's habits for the better.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Just read the report in the current bun. I tad harsh I think. They've said we were a shower on sat. I disagree, I thought for the mist part we looked a good side. First goal was poor marking (TBH) and not being up for it from the start, the second was ridiculous. Yes green shouldn't of dropped it but was Marty upson doing? Since when do you lamp it at two forwards running your way? Out for a throw in via row z perhaps Matty? Third goal, seriously, when will illunga learn to CLOSE DOWN HIS MAN quicker. If I had as much time on the ball I could of delivered a killer cross too. Defence problems all over the place BUT I was encouraged by saturdays performance. I havnt seen us harry and press like that when havnt got the ball for ages!
I expect an even better performance and three points on the board this time next week COYI!!! :crest:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Ridler wrote:I believe Green is the problem. We've struggled from set pieces since he arrived. I'm not sure the back four trust him. Doesn't command his area. A little short in my opinion, I think goalies should be well over six foot. Great shot stopper but should be pushing around the post if can't hold them, he does parry too many shots infront of him. What's the point of being a good shot stopper if you spill them on a plate for the opposing strikers and are useless dealing with crosses.

Drops too many clangers.

Before you rip into me, wikipedia reckons Green is 6'3, don't believe it, that's the same as David Seaman and an inch shorter than David James.
I'd see it completely the opposite way around.
Green has never been a 'keeper who likes to come for crosses. It is his one weakness.
So why the hell do we play two shortish CB's who struggle to out jump a Chelsea midget?
Rob Green needs a defence in front of him (a) that is well organised, and (b) more importantly, will deal well with the high balls that expose Green's weakness

But instead we have a defence whose weakness (not their only one) is the same as our goalies main weakness

We need to play a tall CB. Green did very well when we had Collins, as Collins would attack every header in the box, and win most of them, meaning Green didn't feel the need to come for 50/50 balls in his own box

Not only that, but a goalie, especially one who might be lacking in self-belief, benefits massively from having a defence he can feel confident in. I'd be surprised if that is the case at this point in time

Green is an excellent goalie, and will come good, if he is given a chance
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

the pink palermo wrote:Perhaps we expect too much , and 10 goals a season is a good return for a relatively low cost player .
Albie Beck wrote:
That's the thing - the first half of last season showed how much he's capable of, so I think we are right to expect a decent standard, and to wonder why he isn't achieving it.

But if it's injury or loss of form, at least we may have acquired some viable alternatives this season.
Actually, after yesterday I'm going to call this condition "Torresitis" - it seems 'Nando is suffering from a similar problem to Carlton, and no-one thinks he's crap.....

do they?? :shock:
Mr P
Location: On the outside of a rather cheeky bottle of Viognier...

Post by Mr P »

miketheloop wrote:First goal was poor marking (TBH)
Think you'll find that Ilunga was 'marking' Essien. Howver, TBH should have done better with the third
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Albie Beck wrote: Actually, after yesterday I'm going to call this condition "Torresitis" - it seems 'Nando is suffering from a similar problem to Carlton, and no-one thinks he's crap.....

Jamie Redknapp (his biggest fan apparently) called him 'diabolical, terrible, sloppy and fed up'.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Albie Beck wrote: Actually, after yesterday I'm going to call this condition "Torresitis" - it seems 'Nando is suffering from a similar problem to Carlton, and no-one thinks he's crap.....

PrawnSandwich wrote: Jamie Redknapp (his biggest fan apparently) called him 'diabolical, terrible, sloppy and fed up'.
Which just goes to show the medias need to fill airtime or column inches drives the need for ever greater salacious headlines and sensationalism .

I forget who i was reading about at the weekend but the journo made the comment " and he's only scored twice this season" , as a criticism of the player .
A goal every other game seemingly is no longer good enough .Laughable .
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

For anyone that missed Piq's miss:-

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=ULXDR5CY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

saludo de carlitos wrote:For anyone that missed Piq's miss:-

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=ULXDR5CY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't remind me!

I know it was beyond hope at that point but it was unfathomably bad! :lol:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

saludo de carlitos wrote:For anyone that missed Piq's miss:-

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=ULXDR5CY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, thanks for that!
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

I've just got back from Vietnam I didn't have much access to the net all I saw was we lost 3 - 1 I wasn't surprised but I heard we played ok.

Any respectable poster care to shed some light on it?

P.S That Piq miss lol! Typical!!
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Just been watching a clip of mersons comments about us after the chelsea game, nice to see somebody in the media actually being a little positive about us for a change, some of the match reports in the papers were unbelievably over the top with regards how crap we were it actually makes you wonder if they were even at the game! jeff stelling looked gutted when merson said no way would we go down, whats his beef with us??? he was having a pop a few weeks ago also, pretty much taking the piss out of our signings, in particular der hammer which i found strange!
beckton

Post by beckton »

durham city hammer wrote: jeff stelling looked gutted when merson said no way would we go down, whats his beef with us??? he was having a pop a few weeks ago also, pretty much taking the piss out of our signings, in particular der hammer which i found strange!

I've got an account with Corals, I get an email from Jeff on Fridays as he is their top football tipster[ allegedly], at the the beginning of the season he tipped us for relegation.

It could be a possible reason.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

:
Never liked that c**t :D
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The Rebirth wrote:I've just got back from Vietnam I didn't have much access to the net all I saw was we lost 3 - 1 I wasn't surprised but I heard we played ok. Any respectable poster care to shed some light on it?
I'll have a nibble on respectable! :D

We gave away a corner on the first 90 seconds and Essien - all 5'8" of him - outjumped Ilunga. Don't ask me why he was marking him. The ball was fairly centrally placed, but Green was nowhere near it. Cole tried to keep it out. 1-0.

For 12-15 minutes, matters were evenly matched, but we made minimal real goal threat.

We gave away a free kick I would estimate 30 yards out - perhaps a touch more - and I personally thought that Drogba mis-kicked at first, because it was sent literally straight forward, over the wall, but directly at Green. He seemed to step forwards at the same time that he failed to catch it. This meant that he was off his line at the moment that we all watched in slo-mo as Upson booted it up field, off Malouda or Kalou's back, over a stranded Green and into the net. 2-0.

We then played as if we were matching them and occasionally made some threatening moves forward. Obinna went clear and had a chance to get one back, but was wide.

Cole was then placed through but was marginally off-side. Goal chalked off.

Best spell of game for us was after the break; we genuinely kept up the pressure but needed an early reply. None was forthcoming.

The sucker punch was their third. A very easy conversion, with TBH and Green nowhere near the cross.
Parker got a sweet consoltation, but, even when Piqui missed from under the bar, the game was already up.

If we'd only played for 70 minutes, we would have still lost; Cghlsea didn't exceed 3rd gear. Giving away the 2nd stopped it being a meaninful contest.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Green was also partially to blame for the thrid goal, but rewind the tape and watch Ilunga taking a country stroll over on the left without even putting any pressure on before the cross comes in - disgraceful, had Ilunga chased that down and pushed the player into the corner - we'll never know but I doubt a cross would have come in or if it did the likely hood of it going over the bar would be the more liekly outcome. Anyway, the cross did come in and as Green watches the cross come in he starts coming across - then makes a fatal hesitation, he would have been positioned more or less directly in the path of the ball from the header. Headbanger

In relation to CB's we have that can out jump strikers, is DaCosta injured ?? the bloke can outjump just about ANYTHING.