West Ham Utd 1 Chelsea 3 (11/09/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by irving boleyn »

I am a little uneasy about expecting great things from Dyer..

He looked fully fit and raring to go,certainly runs at defences, not sure that he has the ability to make space and get in a good pass or shot..

I wasn't too disappointed with LBM's performance and, like the above poster, was disappointed that Behrami was not the one to go in the second half.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

Is Parkers goal vid on line anywhere
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 436 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Green - clanger for 2nd, at the time I thought 3rd was his fault, but replay showed it was too high, far out (6-7 yards) and curling away.
Jacobsen - my MoM. Solid RB, comfortable in possession and willing to get forward.
Ilunga - struggling for confidence.
Ben Haim - flattered to deceive: looked alright until the critical moment when Essien monstered him for their 3rd.
Upson - clanger for their 2nd: what was wrong with booting the ball out for a throw in that situation? A blind kick upfield was an accident wating to happen.
Behrami - rubbish first half, but got stuck in far better 2nd half.
Noble - did ok until running out of steam with about 15 mins to go. Lots the head and picked up a needless booking at the end.
Parker - similar to Noble in that his passing just went to pieces after about 70 mins, then popped up with that sublime chip :?
Boa Morte - thought he did more than Behrami first half (back heel was magic, and it was his run past 2 and pass for Cole's 'goal'), but I don't think Grant rates him.
Obinna - all-round play good, shooting god-awful.
Cole - thought he did alright today as a target man with limited service, but his decision making - esp in the penalty area - still sucks.
Dyer - lively but ultimately well marshalled into harmless areas by Chelsea's massed defence.
Piquionne - missed another sitter and did little else besides. I'd opt for Berrara and pushing on Obinna if we're chasing a goal, and use him as Cole's replacement.
solar hammer

Post by solar hammer »

A league game at The Boleyn I actually enjoyed. I can't remember the last time. 2-0 down thanks to woeful and freakish defending and I expected the usual, heads drop and become surrender monkeys as was par last season. Instead we gave a battling, spirited performance and one to be proud of. I just hope Avram realises now that 4-4-2 is the only way we give teams a game. 4-5-1 is hopeless when you are using a two bob striker like Cole as the lone front man. Please don't revert back to it for Stoke (or pass the message on when you f*** off on holiday)
barlimanrob
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by barlimanrob »

Romford wrote:Ok..lets turn this around.

Does anyone think that Chelsea played well ?
Romford, I can't believe that someone who usually speaks such good sense, is coming out with some of the stuff you've written on here.

Why such doom and gloom? Let's judge the team after we've played a few teams we should be looking to get results from. Wolves, Stoke, WBA, Brum, Wigan, Blackpool, etc.

Your opinions are respected. Don't throw it away.

IMHO, of course. :wink:
travisbickle

Post by travisbickle »

did anyone else think TBH looked fat? I'm not convinced by him - got out jumped by Essien who is something like 5'7.

Also on TBH, will he miss the Stoke game like Grant may do cos of Yom Kippur?
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Is Da Costa injured? I saw him in the players car park after the game he wouldn't have let 5ft '9' essien head two goals past us.He has to play v stoke next week we will be under serious areial pressure from that hoofball long throw outfit.We have. Better technical players than stoke we should be able to out play them and get a result but with our back 5 im not confident.
barlimanrob

Post by barlimanrob »

the pink palermo wrote:1985/86.

After 7 matches we had 6 points .

We finished 3rd that year .

Just thought I would mention it .
Great point PP.

The inverse of 'two swallows' and all that...... Probably applies to our situation.
HornchruchHammer

Post by HornchruchHammer »

jon253 wrote: Cole - lazy game not enough movement off the ball, thought he was unlucky with disallowed goalt
personally i think Carlton really needs to be droppped. I sat in the BMU and was watching Cole and Obinna, Cole was more or less fixed to the spot. He was lazy and only ran we the ball was played into space, never made a run before the ball was played, as far as i saw. Compared to Obinna who did make runs and in turn had 2 or 3 chances to score. How many did carlton have?

I think him along with Upson need some serious time on the bench to get their hunger back, and food for thought.

Carlton said he wanted to score 15-20 this season. He better get his shooting and running boots on me thinks!
jon253

Post by jon253 »

[quote
Cole - lazy game not enough movement off the ball, thought he was unlucky with disallowed goalt[/quote]

personally i think Carlton really needs to be droppped. I sat in the BMU and was watching Cole and Obinna, Cole was more or less fixed to the spot. He was lazy and only ran we the ball was played into space, never made a run before the ball was played, as far as i saw. Compared to Obinna who did make runs and in turn had 2 or 3 chances to score. How many did carlton have?

I think him along with Upson need some serious time on the bench to get their hunger back, and food for thought.

Carlton said he wanted to score 15-20 this season. He better get his shooting and running boots on me thinks![/quote]

Agree with you in regard to Cole v Obinna, i was at opposite end of ground so interesting that we can agree. Not sure if dropping of Upson will restore the "hunger" as you put it.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

It's all about getting that win as quickly as possible for us now, i honestly think if we beat stoke next week and manage to stay clear of major injuries then we will be nowhere near a relegation fight, Grant talks about gradual improvement, week by week and i think you can see that, both offensively and defensively, also the fact heads didnt drop after going two goals down shows Grant is starting to instill some team spirit and fight into the squad, something which will not happen overnight and with the the world cup and eight new players coming in he has not had a great deal of time to work with the squad, as has been pointed out we now have pace in the side and when everyone is fit, decent options in most positions, my only worry now is if we don't get that win soon or get well beaten next week, morale is broken beyond repair, i just hope Grant goes for the win against stoke, starts with dyer and goes or the jugular! got to say the over reaction from the press, jeff stelling etc and other clubs supporters to our start to the season is staggering imo, as brian clough used to say the table isnt worth looking at until after xmas!
Believer
Has liked: 1425 likes
Total likes: 761 likes

Post by Believer »

[quote="travisbickle"]did anyone else think TBH looked fat? I'm not convinced by him - got out jumped by Essien who is something like 5'7.

My mates and me all said the exact same thing. Essien scoring 2 headers ???

Thought Obinna and Jacobsen were positive and believe that when Barrera and Obinna get some more game time we will reap the benefits.
One of my mates and mine comments was about "The spine". Most were saying that it was essential we held on to them. Well as it stands, 4 games in and Cole, Upson & Green who should be our reliable players are either struggling for form, not fit, not interested or just not very good. I am sure most will have varying opinions.
Stoke next is not for me a must win. I believe like one of the other posters said it is a game that we must go into with belief. Stoke aren't a great team. They are a typical hard, won't be bullied team and I think that we should be aiming higher than squeezing a point off the likes of them. Grant was whinging about their transfer budget saying that we are behind them and they are in our group. Sorry Avram, but we are better than them and if you come out with statements like that, the players will stop believing anything to the contrary.
442 against Stoke please and if possible same team except drop LBM and Behrami and replace with Hitz and Dyer.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

I saw enough yesterday to suggest we will be ok, just replace Cole, Upson and Green in Jan sand we will be fine.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

West Ham Matt wrote:I saw enough yesterday to suggest we will be ok, just replace Cole, Upson and Green in Jan sand we will be fine.
replace with who

bearing in mind the only money the club could spend is whet those 3 would gain from selling them
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

barlimanrob wrote:
Romford, I can't believe that someone who usually speaks such good sense, is coming out with some of the stuff you've written on here.

Why such doom and gloom? Let's judge the team after we've played a few teams we should be looking to get results from. Wolves, Stoke, WBA, Brum, Wigan, Blackpool, etc.

Your opinions are respected. Don't throw it away.

IMHO, of course. :

I will try :wink:
barlimanrob

Post by barlimanrob »

Romford wrote:

I will try wink:
:lol:
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

sicknote wrote:
replace with who

bearing in mind the only money the club could spend is whet those 3 would gain from selling them

That is not my job, but the scouts and management we pay.

All 3 are clearly ****
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

poor point of view that matt

thats the problem, people are quick to slag off and say get rid or drop but have no idea who would improve,

imo saying sell or drop is pointless if you can't offer up any players who'll improve things
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

sicknote wrote:poor point of view that matt

thats the problem, people are quick to slag off and say get rid or drop but have no idea who would improve,

imo saying sell or drop is pointless if you can't offer up any players who'll improve things
I don't know how much money we would get do I so it would be hard for me to suggest people.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

would you be able to get better, you want to be rid of our british/english core of players which is never advisable in the top flight, or any english league really