West Ham Utd 3 Wigan Athletic 1 (27/11/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

helloducks

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan: match thread

Post by helloducks »

Morocco Mole wrote: Was he really "gash" though? For me he was a threat, showed some nice touches and kept their left back (a decent player) well occupied throughout. He doesn't get his head up enough and needs to learn when to pass but to say he was "gash" and is a "chicken" as someone else said, is ridiculous. For a little bloke from Mexico, making only his fourth start, he did alright.
Some of the comments on Reid are even more stupid... :thdn:
When he came, the club contacted my work sounding out for a spanish speaker to 'buddy' him, to help settle in. Dont know how it worked out, but even on their money its a big deal to pitch up in a strange country, not speaking the language and be expected to hit the ground running. He does look a little bit scared to me. Even the weather must be a shock to the system.
Don't think Piq laying into him on the pitch (at least twice now) is actually helping, either.
Uncle Wally will look after him.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Not the worst turnout I've seen at Upton Park - one game has always stood out in my memory bank and it was vs Stoke City in 1984-85 season. It was a rearranged midweek game in May, they were already down and we needed a win to be mathematically safe ( typical West Ham really, dodgeing relegation one year, narrowly missing out on title next season) Anyway I have to say that the 'handful' of Stoke fans in the South Bank that night were what I would call 'true' supporters - Stoke had a shocker that season IIRC and were pretty much stuck to bottom all season (sound familiar??) and were relegated comfortably before end of season and yet they still followed their team down to London on a school night , hats off to them - from where I stood on the North Bank that night looked about 1 coach load at the most, but fair play to those that came all that way to watch West Ham stick 5 past them.
I remember that. All you could see from the East Stand through the drizzle was a few huddled shapes with the odd orange spot where some of them were smoking. Ray Stewart missed a pen, and they went mad for about 20 seconds. That was their night. Real supporters: long way, mid-week, no real chance of winning, still turned up.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Only in so much of they both shoulder responsibility for defending when we don't have the ball .Along with everyone else .
beckton wrote: I can't particularly remember Barrera putting a tackle in yesterday but for a player coming in from abroad and an attacking player at that, I've been quite impressed with his willingness to track back and fill in.

I saw that yesterday and in the Bolton and Sp*rs games as well, I've been more disappointed by his offensive qualities, his decision making and his shooting have been poor so far.
Beckton, totally agree about Barrera. I thought he had his best performance yesterday and showed some real promise. If he's doing the donkey work at least he shows willing. People seem to forget his total transformation of lifestyle, language and footballing expectations in the last few months. West ham cannot buy the finished article, we have to buy rough and polish. That takes time IMO.

Also, regarding Reid I thought he was quite solid against N'Zogbia who is one of the best players outside the top 5 or 6 teams. He didn't make the same stupid mistake Faubert did against Arsenal (diving in like a 9-year old) and played it safe. Not pretty, some mis-placed passes but he needs a bit of time to settle in. He's not been here long and had some injuries.

My points on Barrera regarding the change in his circumstances, applies to Reid (barring the language of course). Patience required.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Enjoyable visit over there yesterday, ****ing cold as f*** journey home aside. :lol:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

aaronwhufc wrote:Very happy with the appointment of Wally Downes, finally a bit of character, he played a huge part from the sidelines.
:thup: Enjoyed watching him darting about & had a wally with our fish & chips on the way home in his honour.

Get the feeling he has nothing to lose & everything to gain being brought in like he has, & genuinely reckon he might make a difference very quickly.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

was surprised by the number of old bill with riot helmets etc...

i know there was trouble with this lot about 5 years ago...
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Obviously a single win over Wigan isn't a reason to get carried away, but there's more negativity than I would have expected after a fairly comfortable victory. I guess that's just part of the package of being joint bottom, but I thought there were a lot of positives

Wally Downes - one decent defensive performance doesn't mean jack at this point, but it's a good start and enjoyed seeing him down roaming down the the sidelines. Avram's management style is clearly more chin stroker than hairdryer treatment, so having someone else fill that type of role might be a welcome boost for the team.

James Tomkins - Think he definitely added something, and even if it's for completely pointless reasons, with Noble out good to have some proper West Ham still on the pitch

Winston Reid - I think it would be good to remember that the lad has played approx 160 minutes of PL football in TOTAL, and if you want to be really anal about it, so to speak, two thirds of that meagre total has been in his 'wrong' position. He looked up for it, did what was asked - and I rather fancy his long-range throw ins.

Good to see Hines back in the match day squad too. All in all, feel a lot better than I have for a few weeks now. And after we sneak past the red scum midweek to go through to the semis of the Carling Cup the team should be humming for the Stadium of Light on Sunday :thup:
Av it

Post by Av it »

Aceface wrote:Obviously a single win over Wigan isn't a reason to get carried away, but there's more negativity than I would have expected after a fairly comfortable victory. I guess that's just part of the package of being joint bottom, but I thought there were a lot of positives

Wally Downes - one decent defensive performance doesn't mean jack at this point, but it's a good start and enjoyed seeing him down roaming down the the sidelines. Avram's management style is clearly more chin stroker than hairdryer treatment, so having someone else fill that type of role might be a welcome boost for the team.

James Tomkins - Think he definitely added something, and even if it's for completely pointless reasons, with Noble out good to have some proper West Ham still on the pitch

Winston Reid - I think it would be good to remember that the lad has played approx 160 minutes of PL football in TOTAL, and if you want to be really anal about it, so to speak, two thirds of that meagre total has been in his 'wrong' position. He looked up for it, did what was asked - and I rather fancy his long-range throw ins.

Good to see Hines back in the match day squad too. All in all, feel a lot better than I have for a few weeks now. And after we sneak past the red scum midweek to go through to the semis of the Carling Cup the team should be humming for the Stadium of Light on Sunday
Spot on
Wasn't perfect. But f*** me sideways with a stick. Who was expecting perfection? Corner might not have been turned but at least we might be peering round it. Too much negativity on here. COYI :crest:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Denbighammer wrote:I thought he had his best performance yesterday and showed some real promise. If he's doing the donkey work at least he shows willing. People seem to forget his total transformation of lifestyle, language and footballing expectations in the last few months. West ham cannot buy the finished article, we have to buy rough and polish. That takes time IMO.

My points on Barrera regarding the change in his circumstances, applies to Reid (barring the language of course). Patience required.
-
Well said, all the Barrera bashing is a joke, I watched the game on TV last night and although I wasn't in the ground, from what I saw on TV, Barrera put in his best shift of the season so far, so this is a positive.

As someone else also said, with Barrera, Obinna, Pick, Stanislas we have a lot of pace going forward, that was the best I've seen of us hitting on the counter, to the degree that towards the end Parker, Behrami, Obinna and Pick were f*cked.

Great to see Obinna finally hit the target, will do his confidence the world of good.

Negative, and I'm probably gonna get slated for this, Cole.....his confidence is so badly shot to pieces...I feel sorry for the fella, but a team in our current position hasn't got the time to modley coddle him, we need goals and if leaving him out the team suits our play and we are scoring without him, then that's what we have to do.

We battled all across the park, we even looked like we were bullying Wigan at times, little shoves here and there, Behrami's elbow, we need to get tough like this and start roughing other teams up abit, put them off their game, like Stoke, Wolves, Bolton used to do.

Good result and a good performance for me, the starting eleven played out of their skins as far as I'm concerned. All the nit picking should stop, if it needs to get ugly to stay up then I'm all for ugly this season, we saw the fight in the players yesterday, which is a hell of a lot more than we saw last week.

For those fkn prick's that booed, f*** off back under the stones you came from, we don't need you as supporters you fkn mug's. Headbanger
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Major wrote:
Because they are f***ing idiots.

I cant comment on the game as i didn't go, due to the f***ing idiots!!! but i have seen the goals and what stood out for me was that not one of the players (even Parker) celebrated with the so called fans.

They f***ing detest you, they seemed to look at the stands with contempt all they are playing for is themselves and i don't blame them. Booing the players before they kick a ball is a great i idea isn't it??

w***ers

is the correct answer, but the mugs that boo will see that as more reason too, i'll be in the tap brentwood for the manc cup game, a boo free zone :wink:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Some brief highlights for those that have not seen the game:

http://www.footytube.com/video/west-ham ... ov27-65843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :raver:

Enjoy....
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

frankiemac wrote:was surprised by the number of old bill with riot helmets etc...

i know there was trouble with this lot about 5 years ago...

they have to train for student demos somewhere, why not get paid for it by west ham united, pity they didn't bother turning up last year when millwall came visiting, they were too busy that day with a protest allegedly
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote: Only in so much of they both shoulder responsibility for defending when we don't have the ball .Along with everyone else .
beckton wrote: I can't particularly remember Barrera putting a tackle in yesterday but for a player coming in from abroad and an attacking player at that, I've been quite impressed with his willingness to track back and fill in.

I saw that yesterday and in the Bolton and Sp*rs games as well, I've been more disappointed by his offensive qualities, his decision making and his shooting have been poor so far.
Denbighammer wrote: Beckton, totally agree about Barrera. I thought he had his best performance yesterday and showed some real promise. If he's doing the donkey work at least he shows willing. People seem to forget his total transformation of lifestyle, language and footballing expectations in the last few months. West ham cannot buy the finished article, we have to buy rough and polish. That takes time IMO.

Also, regarding Reid I thought he was quite solid against N'Zogbia who is one of the best players outside the top 5 or 6 teams. He didn't make the same stupid mistake Faubert did against Arsenal (diving in like a 9-year old) and played it safe. Not pretty, some mis-placed passes but he needs a bit of time to settle in. He's not been here long and had some injuries.

Chaps for balance with regards Barerra - My full comments included the view "he may come good" .So, yes I'm mindful of how long it takes overseas players to settle in .FWIW , I think he was signed on the back of murdering Leighton Baines at Wembley before the world cup , so we've seen him do it going forward , I just feel he bottles some challanges .Thats how it looks to me from where I am sat .

I've also since checked his tackle count on the chalkboards to verify my impressions of watching the game first hand .They have Barerra down as making 6 challanges , 2 successful , 4 that were not .I have to admit that was more than I remember in my minds eye .
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

the pink palermo wrote: I've also since checked his tackle count on the chalkboards to verify my impressions of watching the game first hand .They have Barerra down as making 6 challanges , 2 successful , 4 that were not .I have to admit that was more than I remember in my minds eye .
is that all season :wink:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

There's elements of truth in a lot of what's being said about Barrera....

He does the distance - he gets back in position when defending - and there is no faulting his workrate.

However, he does seem to behave like it's a non-contact sport - there is a lack of aggressive intent - both in the tackle and when driving at defenders. The latter is surprising because it seemed to be there in the first couple of games of the season (when partnered with Faubert) and you can bet on him going half-heartedly into a 50:50.

Comments about his judgement and final ball are fair as well. His influence always seems to grow as the game moves on - for some reason he's always a bit more penetrative in the second half....

The basics are there with him talent wise - but he needs an injection of confidence, aggression or something to make it blossom fully... (always accepting that we obsess about wide players defending because we don't trust our full backs).
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

sicknote wrote: is that all season :wink:
Possibly - I know I'm sad looking stuff up on the chalkboards but clearly a number of posters believe me to be harsh on Pablo - so I thought I'd take a peak .

He's not doing enough for me yet .

Nice to see the Tap doing the game Tuesday night .

WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Barrera still had pace towards the end, his ball in to Cole was perfect, shame it wasn't converted, he also had a go at goal a couple of times also.

In relation to some of the stick ( sorry - negativity ) towards Stanislas, his delivery of corners was perfect, his positioning for Obinna's goal was perfect - had the keeper got a hand to it - Stanislas had a goal. He made some good run's and wasn't scared to take players on. He also had a go which brought out a superb save from their keeper..seems to me like people have short memory spans on here sometimes.

This was his first full game and the pressure was on everyone, especially the kids, so I think we should be giving the kid the benefit of the doubt...........he put a decent shift in given the circumstances.

Fickle f*ckers ain't we... :)
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

There was a moment in the game when Beharami tracked back all the way from the othere end of the pitch hassling for the ball running from player to player before acrobaticly kicking the ball off the line to prevent a corner. Brilliant player for the team in my eyes.
Will miss him when he leaves in January. :cry:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

bubbles1966 wrote:There's elements of truth in a lot of what's being said about Barrera....

He does the distance - he gets back in position when defending - and there is no faulting his workrate.

However, he does seem to behave like it's a non-contact sport - there is a lack of aggressive intent - both in the tackle and when driving at defenders. The latter is surprising because it seemed to be there in the first couple of games of the season (when partnered with Faubert) and you can bet on him going half-heartedly into a 50:50.

Comments about his judgement and final ball are fair as well. His influence always seems to grow as the game moves on - for some reason he's always a bit more penetrative in the second half....

The basics are there with him talent wise - but he needs an injection of confidence, aggression or something to make it blossom fully... (always accepting that we obsess about wide players defending because we don't trust our full backs).
People forget that he's come from a South American league and needs time to settle.
His contributions been ok so far imo....better than Coles of late anyway.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

hornsey wrote:There was a moment in the game when Beharami tracked back all the way from the othere end of the pitch hassling for the ball running from player to player before acrobaticly kicking the ball off the line to prevent a corner. Brilliant player for the team in my eyes.
Will miss him when he leaves in January. :cry:
I noticed that too. We really are going to miss him, not just his workrate and quality but his enthusiasm and passion. If he was fit more often then there would be alot more bite in performances. We've really missed the Parker-Noble-Behrami link this season. For a player that is struggling in this country he certainly gives alot to this club. I hope his injury isn't as bad so that he gets a proper send off.