West Ham Utd 3 Wigan Athletic 1 (27/11/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

happydaystoytown
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan: match thread

Post by happydaystoytown »

TPP

Agree about Barrera, he hid for most of the game yesterday. Slow to support attacks, never made himself available, you could tell he just didn't want the ball.
It must be a lack of confidence, I can't believe he's physically scared, but whatever, he's not worth a starting place, we can't afford passengers.
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

Why are people having a pop at Stanislas he had a good game, We actually looked threatening when he had the ball, He looked far more threatening then Boa Morte does. He is a winger his job is to be good going forward he did help out in defence also reading on here you would just think he stood around all game doing nothing.

We looked far better balanced playing 4-4-2 with two actual wingers then we have all season in my opinion. With Stanislas,Barrera,Obinna and Piquionne we actually have some pace in the team. Tomkins and Stanislas showed enthusiasm all game especially Tomkins who i thought was man of the match, Even Reid whilst out of position at least showed some enthusiasm which has been sorely lacking for the past 18 months. With Enthusiasm you will eventually start getting breaks and gaining confidence. I also though Upson had his best game of the season and we defended well all game with the exception of being opened up once in the first half.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

happydaystoytown wrote:TPP

Agree about Barrera, he hid for most of the game yesterday. Slow to support attacks, never made himself available, you could tell he just didn't want the ball.
It must be a lack of confidence, I can't believe he's physically scared, but whatever, he's not worth a starting place, we can't afford passengers.
i'm not disagreeing but who do you play instead? you could substitute barrera for faubert in that description and describe most of faubert's games as a right mid for us. dyer is hardly ever fit. I'd stick with barrera as he still shows flashes of quality and if he can just learn to pass in the final third rather than go for goal I think he's a good option. his inclusion will require the strikers to defend from the front to compensate a little though.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Hammer83 wrote:Stanislas was ok considering it was his first start I prefer him to LBM he is faster and more direct. I just wish he would learn to go on the outside of the defender and use his left foot a bit more,as he is so predictable when he cuts inside and he does need to work harder tracking back.

Barrera showed some nice touches and speed at times, but he has two big problems far too lightweight and when in possession of the ball he needs to get his head up quicker and be aware of what is going on around him.I recall PIQ going mad at at him when he wasn't quick enough to release a simple pass.
Maybe they should swap positions from time to time?
I think we need to get the ball to Barrera in the last third where defenders are more worried about bringing him down, otherwise
they just upend him in non-dangerous positions.
He seems to be frightened of making a mistake - maybe he just needs a goal to get some confidence..

Similarly, Stanislas comes inside from the left-wing , the defender moves with him to stop him shooting right-footed
but Stanislas seems to lack the confidence to just poke the ball towards the byline and cross with his left.

Jarvis did exactly that to create Wolves winner yesterday against Sunderland. The cross wasn't perfect but it created mayhem in the Sunderland defence.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2381 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Reid's second ever appearance....written off
Barrera's fourth start in the prem....written off
Stan's first start of the season....written off

It's getting ridiculous now.... :?
Marchweather

Post by Marchweather »

Barrera did play gash, its not about writing him off its about stating how he played, he just does not make the right decisions, against blackpool it was the most apparent, he is too greedy..

did any1 notice how long reids throw in was? bit of a delap he is!
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Hammer 1975

You're right, what are the options? If Dyers' injured and Faubert is no better an option, I would say anyone who will stand up and be counted, whether it's their natural position or not, LBM, Stanislas or even Behrami or Noble, any player who wants the ball and makes himself available has got to be more use than one who hides, let alone the defensive side of things.
Maybe Faubert is due for a run out, he is a better winger than RB.

Barrera looks decent on the ball, but very lightweight and lacking confidence, a run in the reserves can't do any harm, then bring him on as an impact sub and see how he progresses
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Marchweather wrote:Barrera did play gash, its not about writing him off its about stating how he played, he just does not make the right decisions, against blackpool it was the most apparent, he is too greedy..
Was he really "gash" though? For me he was a threat, showed some nice touches and kept their left back (a decent player) well occupied throughout. He doesn't get his head up enough and needs to learn when to pass but to say he was "gash" and is a "chicken" as someone else said, is ridiculous. For a little bloke from Mexico, making only his fourth start, he did alright.
Some of the comments on Reid are even more stupid... :thdn:
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by Believer »

Morocco Mole wrote:Reid's second ever appearance....written off

Very good point. That along with booing our own onto the pitch. The annoying thing about Cole being booed is that the pundits on Sky this morning were trying to say it was due to what he said midweek in the papers. If only they knew that a certain minority used that as an excuse and just boo him for the sake of it. I do despair with some of our "supporters" sometimes I really do.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Barrera seems a little detached from the rest of the team.

I'm hoping that he might however feel a desire to put on a show, given the likely involvement of Hernandez, his international team-mate.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

prophet:marginal wrote:Barrera seems a little detached from the rest of the team.
I think that's a fair point. He probably can't string a sentence together yet though to be fair... :thup:
Players from far-flung leagues need time. Flair players even more so....especially ones playing in **** teams.
If Dyers fit he probably won't start against Giggs and co anyway....
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3010 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Morocco Mole wrote:Reid's second ever appearance....written off

Written off by whom ?

My post didn't write off any of the players you mention .It gave a balanced opinion on each of their performances .

The reality is Reid is not a fullback but several posters believe he could be a centre half .I've suggested Barerra lacks bottle - I'm happy to be corrected if you can cite examples of him going in for a 50:50 , or even any sort of a tackle but I actually said "he may come good" .Stan got a mixed bag from me - praise for follwoing up and being on the far post ready to do a tap in had Obinnas shot been saved by their keeper, and criticism for not working hard enough .

None were written off though .
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

the pink palermo wrote:
Written off by whom ?

My post didn't write off any of the players you mention .It gave a balanced opinion on each of their performances .
I didn't say you did. There's a few that have though.
Some one said Reid won't make it 'as long as he's got an asshole'. After 110 minutes of football...playing out of position.
This is a bloke that was man of the match against Italy at the World Cup and already he'll never be good enough for us apparantly....

You did say Barrera was a chicken though which is stronging it if you ask me.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

anjado wrote:Why are people having a pop at Stanislas he had a good game, We actually looked threatening when he had the ball, He looked far more threatening then Boa Morte does. He is a winger his job is to be good going forward he did help out in defence also reading on here you would just think he stood around all game doing nothing.

We looked far better balanced playing 4-4-2 with two actual wingers then we have all season in my opinion. With Stanislas,Barrera,Obinna and Piquionne we actually have some pace in the team. Tomkins and Stanislas showed enthusiasm all game especially Tomkins who i thought was man of the match, Even Reid whilst out of position at least showed some enthusiasm which has been sorely lacking for the past 18 months. With Enthusiasm you will eventually start getting breaks and gaining confidence. I also though Upson had his best game of the season and we defended well all game with the exception of being opened up once in the first half.
Totally agree with all of that. I would have Stanislas over LBM and Kovac everytime. Young, energetic, pacey, english. Yes defensively he could be better and he is very far from an established Premier League player but he would get the nod over those two every time.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think that, if it were Stanislas' debut season, the slack being cut for him and his lack of defensive nous would be understandable.

However, I'll stand corrected if I am wrong, this is his 3rd Premiership campaign. He doesn't play in a team gifted enough to allow the wide players time off from duties further back the pitch.

Therefore, if we want to take a game to the likes of Man United, City or even Sunderland, we have to have players that can attack and defend in their respective positions. I doubt that either Jr or Barrera can do that consistently for a full match.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Morocco Mole wrote: You did say Barrera was a chicken though which is stronging it if you ask me.
Well, game of opinions and all that .

I saw Parker , just back from a chest infection , busting a gut all afternoon to chase the ball , shut down opponents and get stuck in - he won the ball on a "no right to win the ball" challange , and 10 seconds later scored .

Barerra iirc did not make a single tackle all afternoon - and thats not a first . Now I'll accept he may be in the side primarily for different attributes to Parker , but when you're bottom of the table, and you don't have the ball , it's everyones job to defend - and that on occasion means tackling .

Two or three times he shied away from a tackle .

So, yep , my comment was strong .I also believe it to be accurate .

But as I say , it's all about opinions .
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

prophet:marginal wrote:I think that, if it were Stanislas' debut season, the slack being cut for him and his lack of defensive nous would be understandable.

However, I'll stand corrected if I am wrong, this is his 3rd Premiership campaign. He doesn't play in a team gifted enough to allow the wide players time off from duties further back the pitch.

Therefore, if we want to take a game to the likes of Man United, City or even Sunderland, we have to have players that can attack and defend in their respective positions. I doubt that either Jr or Barrera can do that consistently for a full match.
Totally agree. At home to Wigan you can get away with it.
I think you can afford one from Barrera/Stan/Obinna against Manure and up at Sunderland, but not two and certainly not three. This is a problem we have suffered from for a couple of years now - it was the same with Diamanti last year. We need the flair but are not good enough to indulge it week in week out which inevitably then reflects badly on the player. Why should we expect them to break their neck tracking back, throwing themselves into 50-50's...they've never had to do it in their life?
Stanislas is slightly less excusable given he's English and been around for a while now. Still he played well enough yesterday for me....
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

the pink palermo wrote:
But as I say , it's all about opinions .
Aye.. :thup:

Comparing Parker and Barrera though...?

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Morocco Mole wrote:Aye.. :thup:

Comparing Parker and Barrera though...?
Only in so much of they both shoulder responsibility for defending when we don't have the ball .Along with everyone else .
beckton

Post by beckton »

the pink palermo wrote: Only in so much of they both shoulder responsibility for defending when we don't have the ball .Along with everyone else .

I can't particularly remember Barrera putting a tackle in yesterday but for a player coming in from abroad and an attacking player at that, I've been quite impressed with his willingness to track back and fill in.

I saw that yesterday and in the Bolton and Spurs games as well, I've been more disappointed by his offensive qualities, his decision making and his shooting have been poor so far.