Blackburn 1 West Ham Utd 1 (18/12/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Re: Blackburn v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Believer »

joyful wrote:
I have accepted relegation this year. And quite honestly, I don't think we deserve to stay up.
Unfortunately I feel exactly the same mate. What really gets me is why we as a club continue to have such a long injury list. How many of these injured players yesterday will still be injured when we have a cup semi-final or a SKY game to play ?
I think that although Grant isn't doing himself any favours tactic wise - certain players might not be helping his cause either.

If there is any truth in the bottom 3 rumour with AGs contract, I expect to see him gone by the Fulham game however I am not sure that AG would accept such a clause when he knew the state of our club on signing and the financial restrictions that lay ahead.
If it is true that he had identified a new LB and was determined to sign a big name forward, it proves that from a very early time in his reign he knew our shortfalls. The fact that G&S didnt go all out to get these players made his job all that more difficult.

The similarities between Zola and Grant are actually IMO quite apparent - both have a dream to play the chelsea 433 but both would and could not accept that we dont have the players for that system. IMO West Ham are a 442 club, always have been and always should be. The fact that our players seem more confident in that formation and go to pot when another forward is thrown on is obvious to us so should be obvious to our owners.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

It breaks me to say that we are going down but i have to accept it now, we have been terrible.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Don't see how we are definitely relegated yet. We didn't play that great yesterday, and were still the better side. So if there are teams like Blackburn who are on 9 points more than us, who are the worse team when playing at home to us, it gives us hope.

It was clear that there are certain areas we are lacking in, which January could sort out. Had we had that one decent finisher and Obinna on the pitch, I think we would have won the game for sure.

Even our defence looked more solid.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by James P »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Don't see how we are definitely relegated yet. We didn't play that great yesterday, and were still the better side. So if there are teams like Blackburn who are on 9 points more than us, who are the worse team when playing at home to us, it gives us hope.
But we're not beating them. We're not beating anyone. We can't keep coming off the pitch saying "Well, they weren't all that" having lost or only managed a draw. Nine points might as well be a million if we only manage a draw against the poor teams and lose to all the decent ones.
Faubert's Boot

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Exactly JP.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

We beat Wigan, Tottenham and some teams in the cup. So we are obviously beating teams regardless of competition.

You can't say we are definitely relegated after 18 games. It's silly. Last time we were definitely relegated, we took 21 points from 27. Yes, I'll wait for the word Tevez to come up...but the performances of Lucas Neill, Robert Green, Bobby Zamora, Mark Noble etc had something to do with it.

Wait until we've played some more games first.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

We will stay up if we can buy goals in January.

Only the hardest thing to buy and the most expensive.....
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The reality for me is that we have now - bar one - played each other Prem team (and Everton always seem to win at least one of our encounters. If we draw at home with Everton, that's fourteen points from 19 games

I can predict that we will beat Wolves, poss Blackburn and Sunderland at home.

I can also see that we will draw a few more games (indeed, we'll possibly only draw against other teams in the wrong part of the table - such as Villa and Birmingham.

Problem for me is that we just don't look like either winning away or stringing together a pair or more of victories.

We need to repeat the first half's points tally and add 8 points (3 victories?). We could do it, but I sadly rather doubt it.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

So Bobby, Alfie, DL and co. let me see if I understand what you are saying ...

1. You blame the players for everything.

2. Grant is completely innocent here and has done everything possible to no avail.

3. You want to keep Grant because you think he is doing a good job.

4. Anyone who thinks and says otherwise is fickle, a **** etc.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3027 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I believe we can still get out of trouble this season , just .

17 different back 5 combinations in compeitive fixtures this season has created problems for ourselves .Compared with Birmingham City ( and boy did I hate typing that ) , who too have also struggled to get goals , we have been leaking goals all season .They have a settled defence though , and thats the difference .

We need a settled back 5 , tighten it up and we will turn draws into wins .

We must buy a left back in the window .

Benni Mac will score the goal in the final game of the season to keep us up .Watch it happen .
Faubert's Boot

Post by Faubert's Boot »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:We beat Wigan, T*ttenham and some teams in the cup. So we are obviously beating teams regardless of competition.

You can't say we are definitely relegated after 18 games. It's silly. Last time we were definitely relegated, we took 21 points from 27. Yes, I'll wait for the word Tevez to come up...but the performances of Lucas Neill, Robert Green, Bobby Zamora, Mark Noble etc had something to do with it.

Wait until we've played some more games first.
We was lucky to beat tottenham and wigan are appalling. Remember that's just 2 league games out of 17.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by davids cross »

Dyer's Leg wrote:c***s, most of you.
I used to feel connected to WHU fans, now I feel more detached than ever.
Take a look at yourselfs.
Rrrrrr yes, The Match Thread Gang......... :lol:

They're a card aren't they........
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Faubert's Boot wrote: We was lucky to beat T*ttenham and wigan are appalling. Remember that's just 2 league games out of 17.
Lucky?? I presume you only saw some highlights then.
We had the better of the football. The so called worldbeater Gareth Bale didn't get a sniff, as was Van der Vaart (apart from 2 or 3 dangerous shots). We deserved a victory that day.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

hammerdivone wrote:So Bobby, Alfie, DL and co. let me see if I understand what you are saying ...

1. You blame the players for everything. - Not everything, no.
2. Grant is completely innocent here and has done everything possible to no avail. - Completely innocent is overexagerrating HD but the Man is not a Magician & hasn't made anywhere near the amount of mistakes as people are saying he has & has, generally, made the right choices personnel wise what with the Injuries that we have had.
3. You want to keep Grant because you think he is doing a good job. - Nope, i have never said that. I odn't think he's as badd as amy make out, including yourself. But that doesn't necessariy mena i wouldn't likee to see a change
4. Anyone who thinks and says otherwise is fickle, a c*** etc. - - You can't be referring to me with what you wrote << However the majority of people that have been commenting on this Forum over the past few Months have been so fcukign clueless it's actually scary & a damning on the Educational system & the IQ in general, of Football Supporters & their knowledgee, or lack if it, about the Game, yourself not included Dear Sir of course

So as your intial understanding was so way off, i hope it's a little clearer now, where i'm concerend anyway. :thup:
Faubert's Boot

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Belgian Iron wrote: Lucky?? I presume you only saw some highlights then.
We had the better of the football. The so called worldbeater Gareth Bale didn't get a sniff, as was Van der Vaart (apart from 2 or 3 dangerous shots). We deserved a victory that day.
You'd be wrong, i watched Tottenham live through a stream and went to Wigan. Wigan were terrible, almost as bad as Blackburn were yesterday.

I also seem to recall modric had a few good chances. Just looking at the stats of the game we did have more shots etc, but i would call it luck as we havn't really re-created that at home.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I stand by my conviction that if the Hammers had won yesterday, it would have been a totally justified result. The Sunday Times does not agree with that assertion, but in this case, the ST are wrong.

It would have been a nailed on win had Behrami and Obinna been present. However, the starting 11 did almost enough. The absence of a decent striker remains a major worry. We had chances which were simply not taken. Blackburn scored a fluke, and it took a well crafted move to restore a deserved parity.
Bobby Orangeboom

Faubert's Boot wrote: You'd be wrong, i watched T*ttenham live through a stream and went to Wigan. Wigan were terrible, almost as bad as Blackburn were yesterday.

I also seem to recall modric had a few good chances. Just looking at the stats of the game we did have more shots etc, but i would call it luck as we havn't really re-created that at home.
So what part of having more Shots on Goal, having more Shots off Goal, having more Corners, having more posession & having to not conceede as many Fouls as they did, would you call lucky then ???

Or was it all one big slice of luck ??
Faubert's Boot

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: So what part of having more Shots on Goal, having more Shots off Goal, having more Corners, having more posession & having to not conceede as many Fouls as they did, would you call lucky then ???

Or was it all one big slice of luck ??
hello again :wink:

seeing as we haven't produced a performance like that at home again it was clearly a fluke..
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Faubert's Boot wrote:It breaks me to say that we are going down but i have to accept it now, we have been terrible.
Correct I have already accepted it.The only way we stay up is by sacking Grant getting a proper manager not some two-bob yes man.Then we need to go out and spending proper cash £20m plus on two or three good players to make a difference.I think we they will keep grant and sign some more bennie mcarthys and don't see any other outcome other than certain relegation.
Bobby Orangeboom

Faubert's Boot wrote: hello again :wink:

seeing as we haven't produced a performance like that at home again it was clearly a fluke..
A fluke ??

So now it wasn't lucky at all & is now a fluke ??