West Ham Utd 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 (01/01/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

UptonHammer

Re: West Ham Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by UptonHammer »

Het-Field wrote:Iv just realised that 1st January 2011 was the best New Years Day I have had in a long time ! West Ham won, I had a Burger King, and I kissed a bird I actually liked !

Best Day ever ! And if God was to stop things right now, not only would I be the happiest man alive, West Ham would be sitting pretty ouside the relegation places !
Sorted for you mate!!! :D
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

D C wrote: Or how about we looked solid because we start with 5 centre backs?

P.S. I'm including Kovac as a CB as hes played there alot before us.
I think having so many CB's in the team helps a lot, yes.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

that was the first time we avoided defeat on new year's day for six years.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Caribiron wrote:Can someone please teach Junior how to cross the ball, in particualr how to beat the first man? He may have been off sick when that lesson came round.
Junior seems to have a real good football brain - he times his runs well, finds space pretty well and his movement when we have the ball is better than most experienced pros imo...problems I see though are that he seems to have no confidence in his left foot so hesitates massively on that side sometimes when he should be taking the ball in his stride....that can be coached though - or addressed with switching him to the right....his other problem seems to be bottle though - sears, tomkins and collison all fight for the 50:50's (even though sears seems to bounce off people) whereas junior disappeared from the game as soon as stearman clattered him....

don't think he or obinna are the answer to our left side though - we look massively one dimensional on the left with no overlapping full back or natural left sided crosser...not to meniton an obvious defensive frailty down that side due to lack of midfielders tracking back to help out the full back....would like us to bring in a loan or left footed option for left mid personally but have a feeling grant will tend back to 4-3-3 or narrow midfield diamond with hitz on the left when fit
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

PrinceH wrote:Cole had a really good game, worked hard and kept the ball.
-
Completely disagree here, Cole was awful, his touch and passing was shyte, he wasn't holding the ball up and his finishing was woeful (same as the Everton game), not sure why Grant didn't sub him for Obinna with half an hour to go....
PrinceH wrote:Credit to Grant to bring Sears back to Hammers and to a new influential role at R-mid.
-
Could turn out to Grants best move of the season, he has been a breath of fresh air, completely attack minded, as soon as he get's the ball there's only one thing on his mind.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

hammer1975 wrote:don't think he or obinna are the answer to our left side though
-
Seem to remember Collison playing well down the left hand side when fit, Bridge on loan with Collison in front of him and Obinna as the left side striker in a 4-4-2 formation - that's a pretty strong left side if you ask me.
Caribiron
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

hammer1975 wrote: Junior seems to have a real good football brain - he times his runs well, finds space pretty well and his movement when we have the ball is better than most experienced pros imo...problems I see though are that he seems to have no confidence in his left foot so hesitates massively on that side sometimes when he should be taking the ball in his stride....that can be coached though - or addressed with switching him to the right....his other problem seems to be bottle though - sears, tomkins and collison all fight for the 50:50's (even though sears seems to bounce off people) whereas junior disappeared from the game as soon as stearman clattered him....

don't think he or obinna are the answer to our left side though - we look massively one dimensional on the left with no overlapping full back or natural left sided crosser...not to meniton an obvious defensive frailty down that side due to lack of midfielders tracking back to help out the full back....would like us to bring in a loan or left footed option for left mid personally but have a feeling grant will tend back to 4-3-3 or narrow midfield diamond with hitz on the left when fit
No complaints with any of that but it's unforgivable to take corners and regularly not get the ball beyond the first defender on the post or crossing from open play and not getting the ball to the target. I can't answer why that happens but it's poor.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

We never have a great corner taker. The only good one we have had over the past few seasons, Diamanti, has quickly left the club. Same with free-kicks, which is why we rarely score from set pieces. If you have no confidence in the taker, then players in the area are unfortunately not going to make a great effort if they don't think the ball is going to get anywhere near them, so we don't score.

Scott Parker has been a small improvement in the corner taking department in this game in my opinion.

Noble, our usual corner taker is pretty poor, also.