Newcastle Utd 5 West Ham Utd 0 (05/01/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by New Jersey »

Of course getting the points over the Christmas period helped, without them would be adrift and gone. However, looking closer at the performances, we finally got some luck with how Fulham presented us with a couple of goals, then we got own goals against Everton and Wolves. Last night's performance was so disappointing, it was Newcastle, not a rampant Arsenal (we've got that to come) or a sparkling Man Utd, it was a poor Newcastle team, missing their main striker. If you want to give Grant credit for the Xmas run, you have to put the blame on him for the rest of the results so far this season, and there's been too many toothless performances like last night.

I just want to see a Stuart Pearce type manager, or Martin O'Neill, someone who doesn't send out e-mails saying that we played well and we were unlucky etc. I want someone that can get in the players faces, someone who can motivate, someone who can set the team up so we look like we have a chance of winning some games. Grant has had his chance, and keeping him for the rest of the season means we are doomed. There's 16 games left, and we only a point away from safety, please make the change and give someone else a chance.
roblo
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by roblo »

Did anyone take any pics last night?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1670 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Getting 2 centre backs in the summer (TBH & Reid) when we needed a left back and a back up right back would be one of the questions Gollivan should have asked, if they know as much about football as they claim to.

Signing a right winger when most of the personnel we have here are suited for a 3 mid field system is another question I would have to ask.

Loaning a left winger who seems more suited to play off the striker than an out and out left winger (he ain't he can't defend worth a fkcu) is again beyond me. It would seem prudent to figure out what players you have and what system fits them as opposed to the other way around. Zola's biggest mistake last year. (Well one of them !!)

:lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
As soon as we get another good result, say Arsenal...everyone will be saying how things have changed.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry.

Nope, can't help it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

AJ wrote:
Why not put in the full backs from the youth team like Brown or Spence, he doesnt have to play four centre-backs :think:
Muddy wrote:That's what i was thinking, or Winston Ried, or is he really that sh*t that he can't get near our first team?
Neither Reid or Spence are fullbacks. Ben Haim and Gabbidon are doing the best any CB can in the position but they wont keep it up all season. We need to buy 2 fullbacks or we'll keep suffering from the same errors.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Just got back from the grim North - unseasonaly warm up there btw.

Clearly we were not at our best last night . :lol:

Not too much to say other than to correct the impression a number of posters have that we started with 4 Centre backs last night, when infact it was 5 .

Gabbs, Tomkins, Upson, TBH and Kovac .Honestly lads he's a CB .

From our vantage point , somewhere close to the stratosphere, it was easy to see which of the two sides kept their shape the best , who had the better movement and who were passing to their own players more accurately .

They battered us .It could have been 8 - 0 .For the first hour we offered nothing at all , and for the last half an hour precious little .

Full marks to the two young lads behind us who sang their hearts out all night , I wonder if anyone other than Green, Parker and Upson understand that for many , a midweek game at Newcastle is two days off work - a more obvious round of applause from the other players wouldn't have gone amiss for the travelling support .

Credit to Newcastle though .They had a plan , played well and deserved their win .We wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

First trip up their can't believe how high up they stick you! Fair play to our support who went up their! I think everything that needs to be said about the display has been said bring on the two cup games now! :crest:
aaronwhufc

Post by aaronwhufc »

Muddy wrote: Isn't Reid a right back? We need a left back.
Who's bright idea was it to play Noble on the wing?
Yeah, that was a bad move. But Sears on the right and Spector in the middle made up for that :P
scotnob

Post by scotnob »

New Jersey wrote:
...I just want to see a Stuart Pearce type manager, or Martin O'Neill, someone who doesn't send out e-mails saying that we played well and we were unlucky etc. I want someone that can get in the players faces, someone who can motivate... .
This is the normal response from every club's fans when their team's in trouble: its an expression of our frustration, but I cannot believe that what we need is someone who can shout and rant and rave.

In the absence of better players you need someone who can get the best out of what you've got, and honestly I don't think you get that by screaming your anger at them. You may have to do it from time to time, but anyone who believes the ability to shout at people is the thing that distinguishes a good manager from a poor one is deluded. It may be a simple game, but its not that simple.
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Did the players come over and give you a round of applause?

That was awful today, had to take a load of stick from the c**** who hide behind manure and l'arse. Me and one Chelski just were in mourning.

Pisses me off how these c**** who claim to be East London through and through and how they aren't from Essex cause they're Londoner's can't take some ****ing pride in the area they come from and support us.

When I ask them they come out with b*llocks like "well, you can't win any games. i just don't like them. i don't like the stadium. i like the way manchester united play." Sorry needed to get that out my system Headbanger .
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Sorry fella's, I think there is a lot of over reaction to this game......historically haven't we always been belted at least once a season - every season ? 7–1 to Blackburn, 5–0 to Everton and 5–1 to Chelsea whilst under Roeder - yes he got sacked but the League wasn't tight like it is this year.....
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

Scotnob, you just highlighted part of what I wrote. I also said that we need someone that can not only motivate but have some kind of game plan that works. I think most of us agree that if we stay as is, with Grant in charge, that we are doomed, or hoping for a miracle. I think we should make the change, it really can't get any worse.
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Essex 'Ammer12 wrote:Did the players come over and give you a round of applause?

That was awful today, had to take a load of stick from the c***s who hide behind manure and l'arse. Me and one Chelski just were in mourning.

Pisses me off how these c***s who claim to be East London through and through and how they aren't from Essex cause they're Londoner's can't take some f***ing pride in the area they come from and support us.

When I ask them they come out with b***ocks like "well, you can't win any games. i just don't like them. i don't like the stadium. i like the way manchester united play." Sorry needed to get that out my system .
Exactly if they like how utd play then f*** off to manchester Headbanger