Newcastle Utd 5 West Ham Utd 0 (05/01/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Finishing Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Finishing Hammer »

sammer wrote:My joint MOM for me yesterday was Scott Parker (say no more) and as crazy as it sounds considering he let 5 goals in, Robert Green. He looked very solid yesterday, wasn't at fault for any of the goals and was very confident and comfortable with crosses. I think its fair to say the old Robert Greens back, touch wood!
See I find that interesting. Has anyone else analysed that first goal? I was taken aback to see how far out of his goals Green was leading up to the goal. Consequently he had to retreat quite quickly and hence he was in a quandary as to whether he should stay or go, as Best finished his chance. Obviously he was not solely at fault, as our defence was left horribly exposed in the lead up, but I thought Green could have done better.

On a general note I do get frustrated by keepers nowadays. So many of them need a crane to get them off their line and given they have the advantage (hands as well as being over-protected) I expect more. Is that being too harsh?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

POP POP POP Robson wrote:Also on the Radio 5 Live commentary they were discussing the lunacy of using four center backs. They said it left us immobile.
That was one part of his team selection I could understand.
For one, we didn't really have many other options. And secondly, in our situation, I can understand the thinking that we need to be solid at the back.

And whilst Grant did well over xmas, with limited options, playing square pegs in round holes, his selection last night left me a bit befuddled.

What was Noble doing on the left? What was Sears doing on the right? Unlike the previous games, we had options last night.
I can understand, to a certain degree, in keeping the faith in the players who had played a part in our decent run of games over xmas. But we started out unbalanced, and the subs only seemed to make us more so
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Green was at fault for the first, he just stood there like a hatstand and did not even trying to get out and reach the ball. Otherwise it wasn't his fault, no.

The most embarrassing thing is not the result, it's that Newcastle was poor themselves. Saw them on telly aganst Wigan and thought that we actually going to win. Then they lost Ameobi and I told my friend that Best was dreadful against Wigan.....
Well,three goals later...

Sears and Hines - our future.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

PrinceH wrote:Green was at fault for the first, he just stood there like a hatstand and did not even trying to get out and reach the ball. Otherwise it wasn't his fault, no.

The most embarrassing thing is not the result, it's that Newcastle was poor themselves. Saw them on telly aganst Wigan and thought that we actually going to win. Then they lost Ameobi and I told my friend that Best was dreadful against Wigan.....
Well,three goals later...

Sears and Hines - our future.
Totally agree with Green being at fault for the first, although where were Parker and Kovac to challange for the second ball? (JTs header

Gabbidon looked shocking at LB too, totally out of position. Surely it would have been better to switch him and TBH who seems okay everytime he plays LB.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

we beat them 8-1 once

is the most positive thing i can think of
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

morganwhu wrote:
Totally agree with Green being at fault for the first, although where were Parker and Kovac to challange for the second ball? (JTs header)
Up the other end of the pitch, it's not their fault that Piquonne played a lazy ball and caught practically the whole team out of position.

If anything you could ask why both full backs were so far away from centre backs and why Tomkins took so long to get back up, although to be fair it probably wouldn't have made much difference but he may have been able to put Best under a bit more pressure.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What about their 4th goal. I mean what was that all about ? You couldn't even call it shambolic defending, it was worse than that. Where was Tomkins ? I couldn't even see him in the camera frame. he had gone so awol. He was nowhere near Upson in the middle where he should have been, leaving Upson completely exposed up against two men, one of whom, Best, was left completely unmarked and in acres of space. How can that happen at this level ? That was even worse than school boy defending and do Avram, or Downs not work on this at the training ground ? and what did it say about Upson's captaincy that he even allowed himself to be in that position ? Honestly, it was an absolutely horrid moment which no Premiership team, should ever find itself in and made me feel quite ashamed of my team
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by James P »

The fourth goal p*ssed me off more than the others. I know Upson was left stranded two against one, but just look how half paced he goes after Best once it's played to him. The guy just doesn't give a f**k. He's the captain of the side, no doubt calls himself an international and is picking up more in a week than most of those in our end earn in two years and he simply can't be @rsed. Absolutely disgusting.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Het-Field wrote:Havign seen Leon Best in the Green of Ireland, I believe we have the defenders to keep him under control. Lovenkrands will be more difficult, but far easier then many forwards we have faced previously.

Really made me ****ing chuckle............ :lol:
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Our team last night completely lacked not just pace but anykind of mobility! if you are going to have a back four made up of lumbering centrebacks then there is absolutely no way you can have a midfield four that has three centre midfielders in it, with probably the slowest of the lot playing out wide, it's complete madness and you are almost certainly going to get overrun!
Too many times last season we played parker, noble and kovac in the same team and it just doesnt work, with a backline of centrebacks it's suicide! If somebody is prefferred to noble in the middle ( there shouldnt be) then noble shouldnt play!
1all

Post by 1all »

When Carlton was clean through- he should of put that away - 5 nil down no pressure - i actually like Carlton but i think his time is up (just one of those things)

These sort of results really do damage the mind -

- One day Obina is going to score the best goal ever seen to man

Come on West Ham forget last night

FA cup Win and top 10 finish :raver:
vind

Post by vind »

I can take a defeat i.e a battling 2-1 but 5-0 to Newcastle missing Carrol and Ameobi, no way. The problem has been that in too many matches, Newcastle - H, WBA - H, Blackpool - H we have drawn or lost when we should have won. After last night I think Grant's position is very tenuous.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

"]quote="Het-Field"]Havign seen Leon Best in the Green of Ireland, I believe we have the defenders to keep him under control. Lovenkrands will be more difficult, but far easier then many forwards we have faced previously.[/quote]

Still ****ing pissing meself laughing.......... :lol:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Bringing in a new manager will give us every chance of staying up, even if its someone on a 5/6 month contract. Grant has no people skills!! This club is a lot bigger then G&S Ego's.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Puff Daddy wrote:What about their 4th goal. I mean what was that all about ? You couldn't even call it shambolic defending, it was worse than that. Where was Tomkins ? I couldn't even see him in the camera frame. he had gone so awol. He was nowhere near Upson in the middle where he should have been, leaving Upson completely exposed up against two men, one of whom, Best, was left completely unmarked and in acres of space. How can that happen at this level ? That was even worse than school boy defending and do Avram, or Downs not work on this at the training ground ? and what did it say about Upson's captaincy that he even allowed himself to be in that position ? Honestly, it was an absolutely horrid moment which no Premiership team, should ever find itself in and made me feel quite ashamed of my team
ive mentioned it several times, against both everton and fulham he was the man who was out wide trying to close down their winger and they subsequently scored because they had a 2v1 in the box, the same again yesterday, he was on the touchline near the halfway line, terrible back 4 positioning. We need our back 4 to stay as a flat back 4 and not let the fullback go forward until we get fullbacks who can get back.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

[quote="sendô"]All that hard work over Christmas undone by one terrible result.

Can everyone do me a favour - I'm going to ignore everything West Ham related for the rest of the season, I'm not sure I can be doing with any more of this relegation battle s***e. Just let me know at the end of May whether we stayed up or not.

Makes you feel that way doesn't it....
smacks of dissociation where one goes somewhere else in order to avoid the trauma... :?
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

all of us who have played any level of football know talking on the pitch is a must. if a player is out of position you get him back in position by communication. when you watch our side nobody seems to talk out there.lucas neil used to be shouting all the time organising etc bonzo was the same and dicksy. it makes me wonder if this so called team spirit is realy there!. last night i reckon seriously they had all had a row on the team bus.grants selections amaze me ( noble on the left) for cne but i dont think the buck stops there. we need a leader on the pitch upson for me is never a captain cannot inspire players to raise their game. we in my opinion desperately need a bonzo, dicks type in the side to galvanise them :crest:
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Where should i direct my letter/email showing my absolute disgust of going all that way last night to watch that pile of *****?
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Low point of the season :eh:
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

I make no excuses everything went wrong last night but we must remember the form shown in four previous matches unbeaten.

Of course we are not happy with the performance and not happy with the result, but we did well before now and we will get back to that.

It is difficult to explain what happened. It was a bad day at the office. Of course, we are disappointed to be back at the bottom but all that matters is where we will be at the end of the season. Our points situation has improved with the teams around us.

I am certain we will see a positive reaction from the team and we have an FA Cup third-round tie with Barnsley and then a huge Carling Cup semi-final first leg with Birmingham City to prepare for now and most importantly the game against Arsenal a week on Saturday.

Click here for Cup tickets v Barnsley on Saturday and v Birmingham on Tuesday night

We are confident in ourselves because we know the football we are capable of playing and that we can take points. We did well in difficult games recently away to Blackburn Rovers and Fulham and you can see this week how good those results were.

I am sure we will get back to that form quickly. We will stay positive. We know not to judge things on one performance. We have bounced back before after difficult results and this will be the case again. I don't like how we played but we know this can happen. Sunderland lost 6-0 at Newcastle and after that came back strong.

It is really frustrating because we had a good Christmas and New Year period but this is football. Everything we did went wrong and everything they did came off. We didn't play like we had before when we put pressure on the opponents and passed the ball well.

I must again hail the travelling support - you deserve full respect. I am sorry for those of you who came a long way. I am disappointed for you to see that performance after what we had given you in the previous two games. We will return to that form this week - I am certain.

Thanks again for your unwavering support
Avram Grant

Avram Grant
Manager

What a delusional ****