FAC4: West Ham Utd 3 Nottingham Forest 2 (30/01/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

King Guy

Re: West Ham United Vs Nottingham Forest match thread

Post by King Guy »

theflafson wrote:Ba to do his knee in before Blackpool? :wink:
fixed for you
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

miles wrote:Strongest possible team please. Why people think throwing away a chance to continue in the oldest and greatest domestic cup competition in the world would help the league cause is a complete mystery to me.
This. :thup:
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Match preview from BBC....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 379085.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Puff Daddy wrote:Forest haven't lost since October
I'd be more worried if they hadn't won since October... :lol:
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:I'd be more worried if they hadn't won since October... :lol:
Funny f*cker Stu!!

I agree.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

An important game but so is Blackpool hard to call who to play.........

Green

Jacobson
Gabbs
Reid
Bridge

Sears
Spector
Noble
Boa

Piq
Ribena

Subs:
Boffin
Tomkins
Hines
Ba
Kovac
Barrera
Ilunga

Out of the above only Noble, Bridge and Green completed the 120mins on Wednesday. So pretty fresh starting 11.

Parker looked shattered Weds so drop him from the squad, along with Cole.

So on Wednesday we will have Cole, Parker, Tomkins, Upson, Faubert, O'Neil, Hines all fit.

I dont understand why footballers get shattered after 2 games in a week but ours seemed shagged Wednesday.I used to play 6 times in 7 days, which included 2/3 matches never affected me......
Woans Left Peg
Dreaming of Malmo
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Woans Left Peg »

Morning all, hope you're well.

Could be a good match up this weekend, expect to see Forest use a few reserves and rest some of the more important players as we have a relatively small squad, we're currently a point off second in the League with a game in hand, and we have an important match on Tuesday. That having been said, Forest's strength is fitness and organisation rather than a major reliance on any one or two particular players, so it tends to impact us a little less when we use squad players.

Big strengths for Forest:

- a combative and effective midfield. Watch out for Guy Moussi if he plays, he's a great big Frenchman who sits in the middle of the park and breaks up play. If Moussi is rested, as he might well be, it will be for Paul McKenna who is a similar but not quite as effective player

- set pieces. We've got very good direct free kick takers in McGugan, Majewski and Earnshaw, and our centre half Luke Chambers is in blistering goalscoring form with his head. Corners and free kicks are a great source of threat for us

- pace. Shitloads of it. Nathan Tyson, Paul Anderson and Garath McCleary on the wings will absolutely turn anyone inside out with their pace. If any of them had the ability to a) cross, b) pass or c) finish they'd be lethal, but every now and again one of them gets it right.

- close range finishing. Robbie Earnshaw and Marcus Tudgay are both great finishers from anywhere inside the box.

Weaknesses:

- final ball. Given the amount of time Forest have the ball in some games, it's a wonder how few chances we create. There's too much pressure on the forwards to finish every chance they get, because they don't get many.

- link up. Three quarters of our defence (Chris Gunter excepted) has zero passing ability. If they're pressured by the opposing forwards then we struggle, you need to defend from the front against Forest.

- defending against pace. The same three quarters of our defence is huge and they love a physical confrontation with a forward, Morgan particularly is built like a heavyweight prize fighter. Put the ball in the air at them and they'll have a great afternoon. Put the ball into channels behind them and ask smaller, quicker forwards to play on their shoulder and we're well on our way to being ****ed.

Shame it's not on TV, I'll be listening in on t'internet - hope for a good game.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Woans Left Peg wrote:- defending against pace. The same three quarters of our defence is huge and they love a physical confrontation with a forward, Morgan particularly is built like a heavyweight prize fighter. Put the ball in the air at them and they'll have a great afternoon. Put the ball into channels behind them and ask smaller, quicker forwards to play on their shoulder and we're well on our way to being f***ed.
Could be a good game to play Hines up front then? Maybe off Cole or Piq, with the big man occupying defenders, leaving space for Hines to exploit

Nice one WLP. A good read :thup:
KernowHammer8
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by KernowHammer8 »

Think a few players should be given a rest ahead of Blackpool and Birmingham games

---------------------Green
Faubert - Tomkins - Reid - Jacobsen
--------------------Spector
----------O'neil------------Noble
Sears---------------------------------Ba/Obinna
-----------------------Piq
ParisTheHammer

Post by ParisTheHammer »

I'll be honest i think the whole team know how much of a disaster that result was on WED for us the fans, and i think they are going to put in a good show this week with a 4-0 win..............hopefully :lol:
Woans Left Peg
Dreaming of Malmo

Post by Woans Left Peg »

ParisTheHammer wrote:I'll be honest i think the whole team know how much of a disaster that result was on WED for us the fans, and i think they are going to put in a good show this week with a 4-0 win..............hopefully :lol:
It's possible, but Forest don't really do big scorelines one way or the other (the mutton worriers notwithstanding). We're organised and effective without being especially talented, we don't tend to run riot on teams nor do we tend to collapse. I think it will be a close scoreline either way - I just hope we have a result, as our fixture list is congested enough as it is.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I Hope Paul Mckenna doesnt use any of that hypnosis **** on us we've got enough problems as it is.
manstev
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by manstev »

Woans Left Peg wrote:- Corners and free kicks are a great source of threat for us
That's us bollocksed then.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Paid a visit to my dentist this morning who supports them and were gonna win and d'ya know why ? because he reckons we will !! and his forecasts are pretty accurate about his own team. At the end of last season, I asked him what he thought for his team's promotion chances and he said, They will lose in the play offs and they did, so I tell yer, irrespective of other forecasts, if he thinks his team will win a match, or lose a match he is invaraibly right, so there you have it We will win this match
Woans Left Peg
Dreaming of Malmo

Post by Woans Left Peg »

Puff Daddy wrote:Paid a visit to my dentist this morning who supports them and were gonna win and d'ya know why ? because he reckons we will !! and his forecasts are pretty accurate about his own team. At the end of last season, I asked him what he thought for his team's promotion chances and he said, They will lose in the play offs and they did, so I tell yer, irrespective of other forecasts, if he thinks his team will win a match, or lose a match he is invaraibly right, so there you have it We will win this match
If it were at the City Ground I'd fancy us as our home form is amazing, but away we're a different side so I make him right.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Good job the tickets for these were bought before I set off for Birmingham on Wednesday, otherwise I probably wouldn't be bothering :lol:

Reckon we will nick it 2-0
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hammer Laffers wrote:Good job the tickets for these were bought before I set off for Birmingham on Wednesday, otherwise I probably wouldn't be bothering :lol:

Reckon we will nick it 2-0
Absolutely no way will we keep a clean sheet. The slightest but of pressure on our defence and it's panic stations !!. You should know this
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

MEH
just cannot engage any concern at all about this.

In fact, I hope we lose.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

I think we can rest a few and still field a fairly strong side:
----------------------------Boffin
Faubert--Gabbidon----------Reid--------Ilunga
Barrera--------Spector--------Kovac------Boa Morte
------------------Obinna----------Piq
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

prophet:marginal wrote:MEH
just cannot engage any concern at all about this.

In fact, I hope we lose.
i hope we lose on the basis that I hope we play an understrength club with as many young players in as possible and rest players for the blackpool game which is absolutely more important.....if we play a decent strength side then i hope we don't lose but we'd be ****ing stupid...if that makes sense.....

3 points away at blackpool would be massive