Blackpool 1 West Ham Utd 3 (02/02/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hambrosia Stu

Re: Blackpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Mr.Miklosko wrote: Harewood and Beattie caused us real problems and we just lost that 1st half desire slightly. We can't afford to do this against the bigger teams. Is it a lack of confidence? Cockiness? inexperience? Ineffective half time?
I guess there probably is an element of all those, as it's been an issue for a while, but I'd say last night it was more a case of a big, experienced lump of a striker, using all the tricks in the book, against 2 young CB's, neither of whom are particularly big or physical.

Once Beattie came on, he constantly roughed up Tomkins (and got away with more than he should have, imo), and won a lot of the ball. Up until that point Tomkins had barely been under threat, so once Beattie started winning those battles, it helped put them on the front foot, and us more on the back foot
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Morocco Mole wrote: Yep. He still looked good in spells last night but you can tell he's trying to literally do everything to carry that team.
Class act but came up against Super Scott and The Cockney Pirlo last night and came off second best. No shame in that folks.... 8-)
He did come off second best too but he's alright, i like him..

Got a good attitude, don't take no sh*t, one of his reactions to beign Fouled ( by Parker ) wasn't great as he seemed to try to pressure teh Ref for a Booking..

Is simply carrying them though, it all seems to go through him, from very deep too.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

A must win won. But one swallow...............
farmergiles
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by farmergiles »

MS in the West wrote:A must win won. But one swallow...............
...Doesn't mean you should marry her...??
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Yep. He still looked good in spells last night but you can tell he's trying to literally do everything to carry that team.
Class act but came up against Super Scott and The Cockney Pirlo last night and came off second best. No shame in that folks.... 8-)
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: He did come off second best too but he's alright, i like him..

Got a good attitude, don't take no sh*t, one of his reactions to beign Fouled ( by Parker ) wasn't great as he seemed to try to pressure teh Ref for a Booking..

Is simply carrying them though, it all seems to go through him, from very deep too.
To be honest I think he suffers from being a big fish in a small pond and thinks he is better than he is, "how dare they tackle me I'm going to get in lots of dirty little kicks after the ball has gone." In a good team with a good manager he could grow into something special but at the moment what I see is a tidy player with potential.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Just remember he was up against the best spoiling midfielder in the business!!!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

stubbsy07 wrote:Green? wtf was going on with that corner? He should be dominating that. A big shout from him and the geezer at the near post (can't remember who it was!) would of left it.

i think a keeper on corners should dominate the air in the small box, attempts like adam's one are the reason why you put someone on the post. unfortunately piq missed it.

i'm quite puzzled now. we did look much more organized and we played well, so i'm happy, but i can see some analogies with the st.andrews matches: dominate the first half or more, then sit back and try to survive the opponents assault.
we managed to do that yesterday, but we weren't perfect in defense.
we were better than usual tho, and also had a few chances on the counter, which is encouraging.

i know that there's another team on the pitch, but we should be able to release the pressure much better than we currently do, at least against blackpool, brums, baggies and the likes.
I hated the "we give up with your half part of the pitch" substitutions, same reasons.

anyway, seems we're improving. we're still far from OK and I hope the team realizes that and stay bloody focused, but there's a few space for optimism.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Holloway is no mug, he must have known they gonners if Adam was sold irrespective of whatever the money was. As people have said he is the inspiration of the team and the one around which all there play and momentum is built - and a big cgaracter by the looks of it.
I rather rate the chap and would take the view that he'll still be a decent prem player for a bigger side in 3 years time. And a future Jock captain I'll wager.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Anyone got a link for highlights?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

page 50, bottom half
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers Fella
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Good performance, rode our luck a little second half but we did enough for 3pts and the result was deserved.

Really pleased with how well O'Neil and Jacobsen combined down the right, pleased with how Obinna, Keane and Piq looked going forward, although Piq's personal performance was pretty disappointing IMO. The back 4 played well, Jacobsen makes a real difference IMO, although they still go to sleep on occasion.

I thought their goal was a shame, spoiled it and knocked our goal difference down a bit. Fwiw, I thought Piqionne was more at fault than Green - he was on the post and left it and then went back towards it and fluffed his clearance.
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

Piq is used to clear the headers at the near post, killed him when it cam rolling on the floor.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 223 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

I think 9 time sout of 10 Piq would've cleared that corner...well maybe 8 times outta 10.

Biggest factor for me is that we didn't conceed in the second half...that should give them all some confidence. Now we've got plenty of options up front we should be able to use subs to ease the pressure off when we have a lead...rather than JUST add Kovac to the mix.
squatski
Massive virgin

Post by squatski »

fair play to keane!
I am Legend
Has liked: 1553 likes
Total likes: 1619 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Finally, a balanced team! with correct players in correct positions

i know we've not had the players for it but with Jacob, Bridge, we now have full backs who do what they are meant to do.

O'Neil a right sided hard worker who can actually pass and cross as well as close down fast. Obinna learning how to play Prem football on the left, and scoring lots.

Keane, a creative goalscorer, poacher. What we have needed since Bellamy left. To play along side a tall strong striker Piq

its a proper 4-4-2 team, square pegs for square holes, for the first time in a long time. And see what happened?

Ba, Da Costa, Hitz, Collison to come back as well, things looking up!, for a few days anyway, so lets enjoy it.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Denbighammer wrote: Fwiw, I thought Piqionne was more at fault than Green - he was on the post and left it and then went back towards it and fluffed his clearance.
TBF I think it was Parker who was on the post and went out to pick up one of their guys, Piq is there for the header not covering the post.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

BaggioBergkamp wrote:obinna on the left
piq up top with keane in the hole is how we are starting
Posted the night before and spot on again BB :thup:

Well done last night lads I must admit when they pulled one back I feared the worst.It was also great to see a vocal player on our side in Keano combined with great movement off the ball and work rate.
JimmyGhana

Post by JimmyGhana »

I am Legend wrote:Finally, a balanced team! with correct players in correct positions

Ba, Da Costa, Hitz, Collison to come back as well, things looking up!, for a few days anyway, so lets enjoy it.
KUMB needs a like button... I like this post!
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

*yawns* Just got back - well pleased i made the late-late decision to go. Has the feeling of the wigan 3nil in 06/07- lets put a decnt run together now please! everyone was up for it and the movement of Keane is something we havent seen for YEARS. Given three players effectively making their debuts, It was massively promising- what a pigs shame wed fukd it up last week!

Thought Piquionne had a great game - will be interesting to see how cole fits in this formation.

The only gripe Ive got is as mentioned elsewhere, why wse fall into this trap of having a back eight, with an open midfield is beyond me- surely at least one of the two should be in front of the defensive line!? Its what fukd us up last week- and could have again!

Thought we looked much better defending set-peices too.

Restored my faith in football and west ham after last week! :crest: