West Ham Utd 3 Liverpool 1 (27/02/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PrinceH

Re: West Ham Utd v Liverpool: match thread

Post by PrinceH »

It was not only a beautiful victory, but one of the first times this season where we constantly put pressure on their ball holding midfielders during 90 (or 80) minutes. If we continue to do that during our last ten games, we'll stay up (with the quality we got now).
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

I have had a great day so far winding up all scouse supporters.

lovin it.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

PrinceH wrote: but one of the first times this season where we constantly put pressure on their ball holding midfielders during 90 (or 80) minutes.
We pressured the ball all over the pitch but particularly in midfield. The midfield four worked their nuts off, won loads of second ball and when we coughed it up we won it back pretty quickly.

That's Spurs, Man Utd and Liverpool done, all deserved..........bit like the old days :thup:
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Best performance in the league for a long time. Hitzlsperger has slotted into the midfield nicely and with Parker, Noble and O'Neil make a very hard working skillful midfield quartet.

Must mention Upson, thought he had one of his best games for us yesterday was superb with Tomkins.

Onwards and upwards, come on you Irons!! :crest:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I think we are being way too modest .

We battered them, flippin' murdered them first half .

If it was a boxing match , the towel would have been tossed in by their corner .

Seriously , we were really good - a joy to watch . :thup:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:I think we are being way too modest .

If it was a boxing match , the towel would have been tossed in by their corner .

Seriously , we were really good - a joy to watch .
But our throw ins were **** and Grant made the subs at the wrong time :asleep:

I agree, quality performance by all. Special mention to Grant and Upson, two people at the club who get a lot of stick but both did great yesterday. Upson was ****ing immense
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

the pink palermo wrote:I think we are being way too modest .

Seriously , we were really good - a joy to watch . :thup:
I was watching it with my mate (spud fan) in the pub and even he (who usually doesnt have a good word to say about us, and was cheering Liverpool on the whole game) said we were all over them. He even said our first two goals were quality. I was quite shocked!!

The most important thing now is that we beat Stoke at the weekend. COYI!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Yea Why Not wrote: But our throw ins were sh*t and Grant made the subs at the wrong time .I agree, quality performance by all. Special mention to Grant and Upson, two people at the club who get a lot of stick but both did great yesterday. Upson was f***ing immense
1.Throw ins .I think are throw ins are poor in general - I made no mention of yesterdays specifically in the throw ins thread .

2. In my opinion I felt Cole should have come on about 15 minutes before he did .That ain't a criticism of Grant , it's my opinion based upon what I was watching .

3. And Upson played well yesterday ( and probably did so in considerable discomfort - without getting due credit for having done so)
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Upson was superb - fair play to the lad.

Let's see if he can do that consistently.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:
1.Throw ins .I think are throw ins are poor in general - I made no mention of yesterdays specifically in the throw ins thread .

2. In my opinion I felt Cole should have come on about 15 minutes before he did .That ain't a criticism of Grant , it's my opinion based upon what I was watching .
I wasn't aiming those comments at you. I was agreeing and just pointing out that people still had little moans about the game

I still disagree about the Cole sub though. If Grant would have made them changes 15 minutes earlier and then we was to concede I reckon we would have been under pressure for the rest of the game and knowing us, more than likely drew it. But he saved them, made the changes at the right time imo and it lead to us winning the game convincingly

I nearly pissed myself in laughter when I see that throw in thread yesterday. If thats all that people can pick out, we must have done something right
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Hugh Jargon wrote:Have to say Upson had a great game today considering he was not 100%. He is very camp though ..Pardon?
think hes trying to impress hitz? :lol:
BeastieBoy

Post by BeastieBoy »

Went to the game yesterday having been suffering from a dodgy wisdom tooth, broken eye socket, one broken rib and one bruised rib. Don't ask. 6-on-1 down isn't exactly "even numbers" after the home league Brum game.

Got bad news two days ago about a mate's cousin committing suicide, and that mate was round my house at the time he heard it. Had a row with my very clingy Mrs after I dared to then spend more time with my grieving mate than with her for an evening. Why do I bother? I have had a 'mare the last few days.

Anyway, to say I needed cheering up was an understatement. When we went 3-1 up I almost came in my pants, and I just had to bring my custom-made West Ham snood out for the second visit of its' life.

Then me and my mate went down Hamilton Hall outside Liverpool Street and got pissed with a bunch of Gooners, and what then happened was a story which could deserve its' own thread and which also shouldn't be spoken about in public.

Epic display. Epic result. Epic piss-up. Epic day. And my wisdom tooth then broke in half on a bacon sarnie this morning. Cue more ibuprofen. This is me.

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I went into work and was dying to slag off the Liverpool fans in my job. They are all cocky bastards and deserved a good going over. I decided to be modest instead ( being a hammer you know that we ain't gonna have bragging rights for very long ) and when I met the first one of them today he said, you beat us but you will still be relegated. The **** couldn't say well done and leave it at that he still had to have the usual dig. I met him and a few more of the pricks a few hours later. They said that i didn't seem to be very excited by the win. I shrugged my shoulders and said " well I expected us to comfortably beat Liverpool, I'm more concerned with picking up points against some of the better teams that we have to play yet, the likes of Stoke and such, you know actual good sides". :lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

the pink palermo wrote:I think we are being way too modest. We battered them, flippin' murdered them first half .
The two key differences yesterday were 1) Closing them down in their own half and 2) Getting the ball forward, quickly.

Fair to say - or too simplistic?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Up the Junction wrote: The two key differences yesterday were 1) Closing them down in their own half and 2) Getting the ball forward, quickly.

Fair to say - or too simplistic?
I'd add a 3) Intelligent use of the ball in the centre of the pitch.
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

I noticed a few times that Upson and the central midfield trio picked the pockets of the Liverpool players. Upson kept intercepting passes to Suarez, and thier midfeild never had much of a chance to settle on the ball. Was great to see.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i still have a hard on

great game, a bit concerned at half time for the possibility of one of those second half, but we were good in the second half as well.

goals aside, i really enjoyed that 15-20 minutes in the second half where our guys were running sooo much, either in possession or not, pressing them in their half, forcing mistakes, embarrassing carragher, playing quickly, having a go at the goal, building occasions and all the crowd shouting...

that was great.

we stayed focused all the game and played without fear or reverence, kicking their ass.

i'm not grant's biggest fan and i think piq is wasted on the wing, but yesterday he did great there, and at a certain point i asked myself which changes i would make, and wasn't sure.
i think grant got the game right. maybe not perfect, but wtf, we thrashed those red bastards, so more than good enough :raver:

i think confidence is the key, we're getting some and we can clearly see it on the pitch, i hope we don't get too much of it.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

BeastieBoy wrote: Image
Hey Beastie - I think those arms up behind you might be mine. LBM near 1st exit? Near to the bloke who shouts 'Sit Dahn' all the time?

If it is I'll say hello, but reading your post I might avoid going for a beer with you.

As Michael Caine once said - 'Those ****ing Zulus don't fight proper Sarge!'
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

warp wrote: i'm not grant's biggest fan and i think piq is wasted on the wing, but yesterday he did great there, and at a certain point i asked myself which changes i would make, and wasn't sure.
The position Piq played in was the key to our victory and is the right way to play 433. It let us outnumber them in midfield, if he had been moved up front alongside Ba it would probably have been a different result.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i agree bob, but in some other matches he wasn't that brilliant there.
maybe he's learning...

:thup: