West Ham Utd 3 Liverpool 1 (27/02/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Liverpool: match thread

Post by sendô »

BeastieBoy wrote:Then me and my mate went down Hamilton Hall outside Liverpool Street and got pissed with a bunch of Gooners, and what then happened was a story which could deserve its' own thread and which also shouldn't be spoken about in public.
You can't write things like that and then not share the story...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:I think we are being way too modest. We battered them, flippin' murdered them first half .
Up the Junction wrote:
The two key differences yesterday were 1) Closing them down in their own half and 2) Getting the ball forward, quickly.

Fair to say - or too simplistic?
Fair .The workrate from O'Neil, Hitz, Noble and Parker was excellent : played a good pressing game with Piq also helping out .

Noble sat deepish in the first half - his passing was good - ish .Sometimes when he gives it away it's because he has tried to create something which some fans appear not to appreciate .

Mostly though their appeared to be real desire : Upson was simply superb yesterday, and Green pulled off at least one save that would have been no embarassment to concede a goal for .

I was shocked at how hard O'Neil and Hitz worked .At one stage Hitz sprinted full tilt 70 metres to shore up our defence - a good pro demonstrating a will to win .What a boost to our better players to have one or two reinforcements to help out .

That was a team on a good run we beat yesterday .Can anyone remember us beating a Liverpool side more comprehensively ?

In not too many weeks we could have Keane, Cole, Collison , Dyer, LBM, Obinna all on the bench.......no defenders obviously :lol:

If only we had started the season with this squad , think of the heartache and aggro that could have been avoided ...................

I've consistently backed Grant and said we won't go down , and I'm happy to say we appear to be hitting our straps at exactly the right time .
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Up the Junction wrote: The two key differences yesterday were 1) Closing them down in their own half and 2) Getting the ball forward, quickly.

Fair to say - or too simplistic?
That was the key and what we've lacked all year, Defending from the front and non stop hassling. Work rate was amazing yesterday.
Fare-hammer

Post by Fare-hammer »

Think the wide roll might be better suited to Obinna when he's fit, but does that mean both Cole and Piq start on the bench?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote: Upson was simply superb yesterday, .
Which was a pain really because.......The No.6 shirt is coming out of retirement for one game so someone more worthy can be the last to wear it.

I think that's what's happening anyway........ :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I have walked around on air all day today. Crazy how one result can have such effect...

...but it was the Scousers after all.

:crest:
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Easily best day at The Boleyn this season. Probably the best day in the last 2.

I'm so ridiculously hung-over today :lol:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

prophet:marginal wrote: Crazy how one result can have such effect...
Don't think it was just the result proph, it was the manner and the football played. That was what gave hope for the future. Replicating it is now the task....
Pers

Post by Pers »

On saturday a scouse fan at work said they were going to smash us. I've had great pleasure in winding him up all day.

Hoping for more of the same with Stoke and the great escape begins.
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

Pers wrote:On saturday a scouse fan at work said they were going to smash us. I've had great pleasure in winding him up all day.

Hoping for more of the same with Stoke and the great escape begins.
Does it mean you have Stoke fans at work? Hard to believe to be honest. :lol:
Last edited by theflafson on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westhamerica
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Pers

Post by Pers »

theflafson wrote:Does it mean you have Stoke fans at work? Had to believe to be honest. :lol:
Yea we have one. I work for a northern firm sadly.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I think DC had it about right ...it was how we played yesterday that was so good. Best match I've seen us play for a couple of seasons - a first choice midfield and a forward line with genuine options. O'Neil is a good grafter and Hitz is a clever player ...both of whom compliment and take pressure off Parker.

8 goals in 2 games too.

Ridiculous to think that I can be so fickle as to feel so good after one result but that is one of the bizarre and mysterious powers that football has ...naturally I will be ****ing everyone off when we lose next week!!! :lol:
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Our first choice XI is pretty decent....and yesterday proved it.

As soon as the likes of LBM,Barrera,Stanislas,Hines and Reid start getting in it though....that's the time to worry.
BeastieBoy

Post by BeastieBoy »

Doc H Ball wrote:Hey Beastie - I think those arms up behind you might be mine. LBM near 1st exit? Near to the bloke who shouts 'Sit Dahn' all the time?
Are you the geezer who sometimes shouts "DON'T PANIC!!!" ?

I'm Row M. Front row of the lot who refuse to sit down. Always pissed by the time I get there. Always loud. Always trying to unsuccessfully start songs.
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Aaaah, I've heard It all today. Apparently Ba fell over for his goal and it was all sheer luck :lol: .

Brilliant, ****ing brilliant West Ham, more of the same please.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Glad to see the KUMB massive has chipped in with their votes.... :lol:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

BeastieBoy wrote: Are you the geezer who sometimes shouts "DON'T PANIC!!!" ?

I'm Row M. Front row of the lot who refuse to sit down. Always pissed by the time I get there. Always loud. Always trying to unsuccessfully start songs.
I'm in row R so a few rows back from you Beastie - I'm right by the 1st exit.

I'm not the bloke who shouts out 'Don't Panic', but i know who he is. Will look out for you.

As i said, avoid Zulus mate...
thal

Post by thal »

the pink palermo wrote: I've consistently backed Grant and said we won't go down , and I'm happy to say we appear to be hitting our straps at exactly the right time .
I hope you're right Pinky and I admire your optimism. The performance was excellent and hopefully we'll build on it but in the back of my mind I'm reminded of feeling similar after the Blackpool game. A good win away from home with the new players settling in well and the team scoring goals! We lost at home to Brum next game up.
It's similar to after we beat the Spurs way back when. I thought that game was going to be the foundation of us moving up the table. We drew with Fulham and Wolves and lost to Newcastle in our next 3.
The big game is Stoke this weekend. We're scoring goals, we've got injured players back. We must for the first time this season back up a good performance with another. If we do that i'll start to believe!
westhamerica
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

AlfieG wrote:Glad to see the KUMB massive has chipped in with their votes.... :lol:
Haha, looks like the Asians got a hold of it. Oh well.