West Ham Utd 2 Manchester Utd4 (02/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerdivone

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester Utd: Match Thread

Post by hammerdivone »

the pink palermo wrote:A few of our team were below par , and Avram got his tactics wrong IN MY OPINION at half time - should have taken off a forward and slung on a midfielder .
He's losing the faith Ouston :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Just a point I have just thought of ~ I wonder how many of the other teams around and about us, had it been any of them who were 2-0 up against Man U on their own ground's with just half an hour to play would have gone on to lose the match ? I don't think any of them would have.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Personally I think we should have gone 4-5-1 , wit Piq up front, in response to their tactical changes. I cant remember whether he was on the bench but if he was, I would have had Barrera on to give Giggs something to think about.
Flooding the midfield may have stopped them bypassing it so easily.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

didn't see the game so I can't comment on the performance - but at 2-0 up at home with 25 minutes to play you should not be loosin 4-2.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Puff Daddy wrote:Just a point I have just thought of ~ I wonder how many of the other teams around and about us, had it been any of them who were 2-0 up against Man U on their own ground's with just half an hour to play would have gone on to lose the match ? I don't think any of them would have.
Blackpool?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Yes, Blackpool squandered a two goal lead against them, but West Brom wouldn't have, neither do I think Wolves would have, they beat them iirc. I don't think Wigan would have, nor Blackburn, nor Villa, they drew 2-2 with them and neither do I think Brum would have either. I know it's all hyperthetical, but I think that if any of these teams had got themselves into the kind of winning position that we did yesterday, their fight, commitment and desire would have seen them over the finishing line. They also, all have manager's who are able to read a game and make the on field changes necessary in order to keep the advantage they had built for themselves. Mick McCarthy is a case in point
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

dmyeo66 wrote:We were poor first half.....worse second half. But Vidic should have been sent off without a shadow of doubt. That would have forced Fergie's Assistant (as he aint supposed to be involved in tactical changes due to being banned) into making a big decision. Probably bringing on another centre half. The ref has to hold his hand up and admit he got it very wrong. Also I was very surprised at the lack of vocal support for West Ham by the home fans even when we were 2 goals up. And people are concerned about the lack of atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium!!

The main thing I noticed was the players heads dropped big time when Vidic didn't get sent off and other decisions went against the team. It looked as though they thought "we aint going to get anything here today"......even though we had 2 penalties!!!

Grant must also shoulder plenty of the blame as yet again his half time pep talk was poor.
The two penalties against Man U were blatant though - however neither of them resulted in bookings for the offenders. Vidic should have been booked for his intentional foul for the penalty and for scything down Parker(?) on the halfway line at the start of the second half. Two certain yellows that would have resulted in his dismissal regardless of whether he should have got a straight red of the last man rugby tackle on Demba.

Man Utd's bench had one defender - Gill and five attackers. Sending off Vidic might have thwarted Man Utd's plan B: all out attack.

The Anderson, Nani, Owen, Berbatov, Hernandez on the bench - 5 of 7 substitutes shows that Ferguson wanted nothing less than 3 points from that game. That makes a half-time decision to attempt to shut up shop very risky - the most likely way of conceding two goals is to invite a quality and attack-minded team upon you for 45 mins. And then if/when we do concede we need the forwards we took off back on. I also think Grant felt we needed 3 points - at 2-2 he went for the win and a dodgy penalty finished us.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:Just a point I have just thought of ~ I wonder how many of the other teams around and about us, had it been any of them who were 2-0 up against Man U on their own ground's with just half an hour to play would have gone on to lose the match ? I don't think any of them would have.
I think there is a good chance (the way some of their players played in the second half) that every team in the league would have gone on to lose the match
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

No way and not in the space of just 30 minutes.I don't except that every other Prem manager would have just sat idly by scratching his head not knowing what to do to counter act that. Wenger wouldn't have, :arry: wouldn't have, Ancelotti wouldn't have, Woy wouldn't have, King Kenny wouldn't have, even Curbs wouldn't ~ But Grant did because he is not a manager.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

As the song goes, Giggs tore us apart again. He played the second half from a defensive position so he could survey what was going on in front of him like some general on a hill. Had Berbatov and Rooney in front of him and he just kept feeding them to run at our non existent wide men.

I respect faith and loyalty, but anyone who thinks that the Gravedigger is alright needs their heads testing. At half time the people I was with were talking about how we had to change our set up cos Manure certainly would. Maybe bulk up the midfield, play a third central defender and/or change the front line to attack a back three. Sadly Avram's a man with no plan - whether we go down or stay up, we should give him his spade and ask him to dig elsewhere.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hopefully everyone keeps their heads up - there's no shame in losing to Man U at the best of times, let alone when they hit a bit of form which unfortunately they finally did yesterday - Rooney's first two goals were mustard, much as it pains me to say it about the grannyknobber and his jesus christ pose celebrations.

I think the other results over the weekend make this hurt more than the game itself
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Puff

Blackpool did a few weeks ago. WBA lost to them late on. As did Stoke. They slaughtered Wigan.

Not many teams get two up against them, and it was absolutely against the run of play.

I had an appointment in Piccadilly at 2.30 yesterday and left home as the second Noble goal went in. I said to the missus "We aren't playing well...they are...we'll lose this".

Maybe he should have had a Boa Morte type character on the bench to help close the game out......rather than Reid... but then again I doubt that he, or many of us, expected to be two up.

I looked at their squad and saw Rooney, Berbatov, Owen, Hernandez with Nani, Valencia, Giggs etc.......that's perhaps as strong an attacking squad as they've had available all season.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

West Ham in not being as good as Manchester United shocker. This site. :lol:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

miles wrote:West Ham in not being as good as Manchester United shocker. This site. :lol:

Summedupinonepostlolz.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Disappointed with the score yesterday. I was hoping for something like 11-0 with every player (including Robert Green) on the scoresheet.

If only the Ref had the balls to send Vidic off for that challenge on Ba. It could've been a completely different match.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Well after drowning my sorrows after in the 66 Suite and down the Black Lion, I can honestly say it was on the cards by half time. :cry:
Most teams leading 2-0 at half time look forward to enveloping the other side and addng more. West Ham leading 2-0 at half time means switching off and never getting the job done. Seen it so many times.
It wasn't because it was Manchester United playing outstanding that we lost, it was because we simply never pushed and applied ourselves to finish what we started. They were completely luckless in the first half and should have had a man sent off and we were excellent, but we stopped playing football once the second half began - played ridiculously deep and it cost us. I have to say their penalty was never one, but **** happens I guess.
I am confident we'll still beat Villa, Blackburn and Sunderland at UP though and that will be enough for me to keep us in the PL next season (I hope).
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

miles wrote:West Ham in not being as good as Manchester United shocker. This site. :lol:
Amen.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:
Most teams leading 2-0 at half time look forward to enveloping the other side and addng more.

Against Wigan or Wolves maybe but not a side like Man Utd. Our high-tempo style and lack of midfield reinforcements basically rules out anything apart from disciplined containment with an eye for hitting them on the break. It worked for a good while but its hard to carry on playing like that when you've got 3 or 4 players so obviously out on their feet.

An expected result, some unexpected other results means a bad day for West Ham. We've got a long way to go but we're not ****ed yet by any means.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Denbighammer wrote: lack of midfield reinforcements
To be fair to Grant he did want Sidwell but the powers that be vetoed it. I guess he may have made a difference as a 5th midfielder when trying to close down a game not only yesterday but in quite a few others as well.

He did have Specsavers and even Dead Snake available 'though and certainly should have changed the shape at the outset of the second half.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Should have started with Sears instead of O'Neill.....Badly needed a bit of pace and guile in that midfield.