West Ham Utd 2 Manchester Utd4 (02/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester Utd: Match Thread

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

On a positive note: I hope we keep Hitz.

What a player.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

The reason we lost today was because Grant was reactive rather than proactive.

At 2-0 up, should of took Cole off and bought on Keane and played him in the pocket just in front of the midfield, basically a midfield 5.

Waiting to go behind then chucking 4 up front is a bit Sunday League really.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

beckton wrote: In your opinion but a dodgy opinion from an armchair.
Hows it an opinion from an armchair when I am season ticket holder? Mug.
beckton

Post by beckton »

stubbsy07 wrote:The reason we lost today was because Grant was reactive rather than proactive.

Not that Man U have better players, an interesting theory. :think:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I'm laughing because apparently we were awful first half, 2-0 up against one of Europes best sides. I'm laughing because one of our goals resulted from a long pass to Cole, a tactic which apparently doesn't ever work.

Apparently, we knew Man U were gonna attack (no ****!?) 2nd half but we just hoped to 'hold them off', something we did very successfully until 62mins. I suppose we should have attacked like madmen 2nd half then? Grant then gets stick for throwing one a couple of strikers and going for it.

I was laughing at the whole tone of the post, desperate finger-pointing and some top notch hand-wringing with a little bit of anger at early leavers thrown in. A classic post-defeat post :thup:
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

beckton wrote:

In your opinion but a dodgy opinion from an armchair.
your point? i saw exactly what you saw, just cos i cannot afford to go doesn't make my opinion less than yours. Grant brang on 3 strikers for what exactly? man u went up the other end and scored. Not to mention the fact we had our whole team in our own half for large periods of the game.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Playing the long ball up to Cole never works but he did quite well in the first half in spite of that. We played long balls because we didnt have the movement in midfield, Noble isn't quick, Parker was knackered and Hitz wasn't his usual self. As I said before, hopefully its just a blip. Perhaps Spector or Boa Morte would have been better to pack the midfield but its all hindsight, and to be fair we were 2-0 up until 65 minute playing 4-4-2.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Of course they have better players and on paper you would expect them to win.

But at 2-0 up Grant could of and should of added another into the midfield, he didn't and we were continually over run.

Just because they have better players doesn't mean we should make it even easier for them!!
Last edited by stubbsy07 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beckton

Post by beckton »

lukeWHU wrote:
Hows it an opinion from an armchair when I am season ticket holder? Mug.

I have a season ticket too but I'm on holiday but I'm still talking more sense than you. :D
KierZ
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by KierZ »

well done to the lads (and ladies) of the STBL staying, standing and singing "we are west ham's claret and blue army" even after the final whistle
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Our 1st goal came from a long ball to Cole.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Denbighammer wrote:I'm laughing because apparently we were awful first half, 2-0 up against one of Europes best sides. I'm laughing because one of our goals resulted from a long pass to Cole, a tactic which apparently doesn't ever work.

Apparently, we knew Man U were gonna attack (no sh*t!?) 2nd half but we just hoped to 'hold them off', something we did very successfully until 62mins. I suppose we should have attacked like madmen 2nd half then? Grant then gets stick for throwing one a couple of strikers and going for it.

I was laughing at the whole tone of the post, desperate finger-pointing and some top notch hand-wringing with a little bit of anger at early leavers thrown in. A classic post-defeat post :thup:
Were you at the game? I suspect not. We had 3, possibly 4 attempts at goal in the whole match. We didnt hold a deserved two goal lead at HT. Our first goal was from a hand-ball - I am not sure you can put that down to a long ball.

If games lasted 62 minutes, we would be fine. Unfortunately, there was still 30 minutes to go, so attempting to "hold them off" wasnt a great idea was it....?
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Will we be first on MOTD now ? :think:
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Denbighammer wrote:I'm laughing because apparently we were awful first half, 2-0 up against one of Europes best sides. I'm laughing because one of our goals resulted from a long pass to Cole, a tactic which apparently doesn't ever work.

Apparently, we knew Man U were gonna attack (no sh*t!?) 2nd half but we just hoped to 'hold them off', something we did very successfully until 62mins. I suppose we should have attacked like madmen 2nd half then? Grant then gets stick for throwing one a couple of strikers and going for it.

I was laughing at the whole tone of the post, desperate finger-pointing and some top notch hand-wringing with a little bit of anger at early leavers thrown in. A classic post-defeat post
yeah, 2 pens and we were pinned back in our half for most of the game, and yeah we did defend well in the first half. The second half we played way too deep and invited man u to attack us, too add to that we couldn't retain the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes. When you invite the top team in the country only one thing is going to happen, and look what happened. Then Grant meaninglessly brings on 3 strikers and that's it. What the f*** is the point in 'holding them off'? instead of taking control of the midfield and stop them moving the ball onto the wings, we let them do all that.

we'll get something out of the bolton game i think, but if we play like this against them, we won't.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

We got what we deserved today. We sat far too deep and gave them too much room.

Evra should have gone for the first pen.
2nd was not a pen
Vidic was not a sending off.
Their pen was not.

They were not that good today, we were poor.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:Will we be first on MOTD now ? :think:

I bet the are rubbish.
Last edited by beckton on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

I love a match thread after a defeat. It eases my depression. Thanks for the Lolz lads
beckton

Post by beckton »

wayneo1974 wrote:I love a match thread after a defeat. It eases my depression. Thanks for the Lolz lads

So you don't blame Upson for our defeat. :D
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

lukeWHU wrote:Were you at the game? I suspect not. We had 3, possibly 4 attempts at goal in the whole match. We didnt hold a deserved two goal lead at HT. Our first goal was from a hand-ball - I am not sure you can put that down to a long ball.

If games lasted 62 minutes, we would be fine. Unfortunately, there was still 30 minutes to go, so attempting to "hold them off" wasnt a great idea was it....?

No I wasn't at the game. I've seen the game and all its incidents from angles which you haven't. The first goal was the result of a ball from Hitz on the edge of our area to Cole, stood some 70yds away. If thats not a long ball then I don't know what is.

Man Utd had less clear-cut chances than Spurs did two weeks ago. We played the same team and set up in the same way as that match. With a 2-0 lead and some disciplined defending holding them off was the best course of action.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Denbighammer wrote: No I wasn't at the game. I've seen the game and all its incidents from angles which you haven't. The first goal was the result of a ball from Hitz on the edge of our area to Cole, stood some 70yds away. If thats not a long ball then I don't know what is.

Man Utd had less clear-cut chances than Sp*rs did two weeks ago. We played the same team and set up in the same way as that match. With a 2-0 lead and some disciplined defending holding them off was the best course of action.
I was quite able to see that Cole didn't win one flick on from long balls. ManU had about 20 corners before their first goal. It was totally inevitable what was goin to happen. We rode our luck against Spurs.....surely Grant didnt think the same would happen today?

"Disciplined defending".....when have we actually achieved that this season? We have one of the worst defensive records in the league. Attempting to defend on the edge of our 6 yard box for 45 mins against one of the best team in the world is doomed to fail.....as it did today.