West Ham Utd 2 Manchester Utd4 (02/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Awbis

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester Utd: Match Thread

Post by Awbis »

3times wrote:We got what we deserved today. We sat far too deep and gave them too much room.

Evra should have gone for the first pen.
2nd was not a pen
Vidic was not a sending off.
Their pen was not.

They were not that good today, we were poor.
1 yes without doubt
2 yes it was, it was in the area, right in front of me
3 of course it was he was last man and denied a goal scoring oppurtunity
4 Agreed the linesman was correct witht the award of the corner. It hit Upsons chest and Lee Mason would not even acknowledge his own assistant once he gave the phantom penalty

We were not brilliant but it is united. but the referee was a complete bottlejob and to use fergies language a cheat
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

And when Vidic pulled down Ba on the half way line that was a blatant secnd yellow card offence. You don't get **** all against Man U.
Awbis

Post by Awbis »

lukeWHU wrote:And when Vidic pulled down Ba on the half way line that was a blatant secnd yellow card offence. You don't get f*** all against Man U.
Oh I forgot that, not even a warning!!
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

lukeWHU wrote:"Disciplined defending".....when have we actually achieved that this season? We have one of the worst defensive records in the league. Attempting to defend on the edge of our 6 yard box for 45 mins against one of the best team in the world is doomed to fail.....as it did today.
We've defended in a disciplined fashion since half time at The Hawthorns barring a couple of silly lapses in the easy wins against Liverpool and Burnley and a slightly off-key all round team performance against Stoke in the FA Cup.

I'm not sure what you were expecting against Man Utd?

I agree that we attempted to defend too deep but I feel that was because we had some very tired legs out there and the midfield dropped too far back as a result. I think that if we'd kept our discipline and pushed the midfield out another 10yds to give two banks of four we would have hung on for something. I think the tactic was right, the execution should have been better.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Haven't seen this anywhere else, but Manchester United had 16 corners in that game.

Guess how many we got.....?

Zero, None, Zilch.

Says it all really and we would have been incredibly lucky with getting even a point from that game.

Another stonewall loss coming up, however, Bolton away! Put your house on Kevin Davies to score....
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

James P wrote:
No it wasn't a penalty but the missed slide tackle a half second before which allowed Fabio to play the ball back and strike his hand was disgraceful. This guy considers himself an England international and has ambitions of playing European football. I wouldn't have him in my West Ham team. The sooner we're rid the better!

I am not sure it was even a slide tackle. He went down in front of the guy so early there was no hope of getting the ball. as soon as he did it, i assumed the man u player would just go over his legs and be awarded a penalty. In fact the only hope was that he would be so confused thinking about the many ways he could now get a penalty, set up a goal that he would fluff it totally!

And this was hardly the only piece of rubbish defending from Upson. yet this is the same player who was (Imho anyway) excellent against Liverpool. If he were a youngster, it would be understandable, but this is a senior pro
Last edited by upton o'good on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

lukeWHU wrote:And when Vidic pulled down Ba on the half way line that was a blatant secnd yellow card offence. You don't get f*** all against Man U.
That for me was THE turning point in the game !
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Just got back.

**** ref, **** second half, **** manure fans.

**** feeling. Headbanger
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Its done and dusted. We were outclassed at the end of the day, despite the decisions that went against us. Thats the bottom line unfortunately :thdn:
m-h

Post by m-h »

sjb958 wrote:Haven't seen this anywhere else, but Manchester United had 16 corners in that game.

Guess how many we got.....?

Zero, None, Zilch.

Says it all really and we would have been incredibly lucky with getting even a point from that game.

Another stonewall loss coming up, however, Bolton away! Put your house on Kevin Davies to score....
Yep, they ripped us to pieces down the right flank. I actually stopped counting after the 15th corner, so a little surprised it only ended up at 16. we didn't concede from one though. :) . Up 2-0 at home for 60 mins, but you knew the moment Rooney's free kick went in we would be on the ropes. Didn't understand the substitutions today, thought Cole was having a good game, only to take him off and bring on Piq. Also we were crying out for an extra midfielder (30% possession) and then to take Noble off i didn't understand. If i'm honest Super Scotty was shattered all game (thanks Capello you twat) it should have been Scotty to go off not Noble. All in all thats West Ham United isn't it, two up against the top of the league team and in control, they look disheartened for 45 minutes and then the 2nd half.................................
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

beckton wrote:I LOVE YOU ALL
I love u too although you don't know me so I can't trust your judgement but your voice will be heard.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

The optomism/delusion of some of you lot here beforehand was, frankly, embarassing.they were way too good for us today.

As a team we looked knackered all over today. Why, with a strong three in the midfield, do ALL THREE sit so deep, I do not know!?

Our RHS with jacobsen/o'neil has to be the slowest/carthortiest duo in the league- o'neil's brain isnt good enough at this level, end of.

Man U were always going to score. Worst performance of the day was Grant - didnt react to their subs at half time, thought he could scalp a draw- fukd it up totally. He subs slower than Zola, and thats saying something.

Football's a funny game. Noble scored two goals but had a ****ing awfull game today...cheap balls, gave away possession time after time- seriously, I gave up counting at six about 30 minutes into the first half- same as he has done too often this season...still, he's WEST HAM so he gets clapped off..

Ive said for a while April will be pointless...prove me wrong, please West Ham :crest:
Last edited by w4hammer on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Denbighammer wrote: I agree that we attempted to defend too deep but I feel that was because we had some very tired legs out there and the midfield dropped too far back as a result. I think that if we'd kept our discipline and pushed the midfield out another 10yds to give two banks of four we would have hung on for something. I think the tactic was right, the execution should have been better.
At least we agree on something.....!

Just releasing some anger really. Just gutted we had a two goal lead and let it slip.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

beckton wrote: So you don't blame Upson for our defeat. :D
Of course not, I am not retarded, doesn't mean he had a good game though.
Best way to sum it up, typical west ham. We couldn't retain possession. Hits seemed to be more left side, and I think we should have been 451. Stay compact, I fancied Ba against fabio. Don't defend deep but like I say, stay compact.

I would have liked Parker to have emulated his England performance and kept it simple.

Giving away possession cost is this game, we gave it away as a team. From grant to the players, 2nd half fail
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Claretdave wrote:If he had done just that, and gone on to lose, you, along with plenty of others, would have crapped on about not changing a winning team etc......
So it's wrong to criticise at all then on that basis?

Clearly we needed to change tactics at half time and we didn't react to their sub. From then on it was one way traffic and he didn't change things until 68 mins which was a straight swap. He brought on Keane and Obinna to try and salvage something from the game.

As much as we were lucky against Spurs, we were unlucky today. The Vidic decisions particularly helped them back in the game.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

wayneo1974 wrote: Of course not, I am not retarded, doesn't mean he had a good game though.
Best way to sum it up, typical west ham. We couldn't retain possession. Hits seemed to be more left side, and I think we should have been 451. Stay compact, I fancied Ba against fabio. Don't defend deep but like I say, stay compact.

I would have liked Parker to have emulated his England performance and kept it simple.

Giving away possession cost is this game, we gave it away as a team. From grant to the players, 2nd half fail
This

:thup:
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Mancs are now claiming Ba would have never gotten to the ball before the goalie.
Oh, that makes it ok Headbanger
Keepers
Location: If we could play Arsenal every week , everything would be great.

Post by Keepers »

This is the type of game that can drive me mad.

Man u had fresh players who worked hard all game . A bench full of quality (that the red nose used well) and lets face it

a team that never gives up and knows how to win.

So we work hard and against the run of play (our passing was poor) end up 2. 0 at half time.

Now we all know they will come back at us, been there, seen it, got the badge. We also know we will sit a bit to deep.

So we have 45 mins to get through and we are not playing our best football.

Time to change the 433 to a 451 or even a 5 5.

f*** it i would have been happy to watch anti football for 45 mins for a point or 3.

It may not have worked and i have seen many teams crumble under the pressure from man u but i really started

to think we might just get lucky and beat the c****.

IMO we kept trying to play football when it was never going to be our day.

We needed to get in their faces play hard and dirty for for 45 mins .

Still proud of the lads just a bit pissed off with the result.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Keepers wrote:This is the type of game that can drive me mad.

Man u had fresh players who worked hard all game . A bench full of quality (that the red nose used well) and lets face it

a team that never gives up and knows how to win.

So we work hard and against the run of play (our passing was poor) end up 2. 0 at half time.

Now we all know they will come back at us, been there, seen it, got the badge. We also know we will sit a bit to deep.

So we have 45 mins to get through and we are not playing our best football.

Time to change the 433 to a 451 or even a 5 5.

f*** it i would have been happy to watch anti football for 45 mins for a point or 3.

It may not have worked and i have seen many teams crumble under the pressure from man u but i really started

to think we might just get lucky and beat the c***s.

IMO we kept trying to play football when it was never going to be our day.

We needed to get in their faces play hard and dirty for for 45 mins .

Still proud of the lads just a bit pissed off with the result.
ferzackly. simply awfull show from Grant ( again)

A bench full of fit players he doesnt even try out until the game has gone away from us

Sorry lads, this bloke is going to relegate two teams in two years.
simon1982
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

lukeWHU wrote:Tactically naive from Grant. We were awful in the first half - our tactic of trying to hit Cole with a long bll for him to flick it on was not working (no surprise there, being that Cole has never ****ed a ball on in his life). We were getting totally overrun in midfield and Cole/ Ba were simply not able to hold the ball up.

Everyone knew that ManU were going to go all out attack in the second half, yet Grant refused to change it and was hoping we would be able to "hold on". When is he going to realise that defending is not our strong point. Playing on he break at home - how negative. Grants "plan B" is to wait until we start losing and then put 4 up front! Pathetic.

I was also DISGUSTED at our so called fans who got up after the 4th goal went in and left the ground. Sickening. You should be ashamed of yourself. Would you have left after 35 minutes of the 2nd half if we were still winning....?
spot on, i don't like digging out the manager but he should have known more then anyone that we were dead lucky to be 2 up, we were playing a rigid 4 4 2 and it didn't work, that's why fergie is a top top manager, he recognised that we had no width in our game and put giggs at full back. Piq shouldn't be in a full back position, we should have changed it after 60 minutes as there full backs were walking up to lars and bridge creating a 2 on 1. hitz or any midfielder shouldn't be sprinting 20/25 yards to block a full back, we were naive and in my opinion gave them that win. I actually thought we defended alright, it was just our midfield were being sucked out of position the whole time with them picking us off. Spector should have been the sub for cole, he would have added balance to the team. you should not be lsing from a 2 goal start, don't care who it is.