West Ham Utd 2 Manchester Utd4 (02/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester Utd: Match Thread

Post by carnage »

We were awful, and totally outclassed. Vidic should have gone, from 2 yellows if nothing else.
We deserved nothing though, one of the most one sided games I have seen. We deserved nothing. If I see 1 more fancy dan ****ed header in the middle of the park that goes to the opposition I am going to scream. How
many times did that happen today?
Totally outclassed, it was almost funny.
beckton

Post by beckton »

carnage wrote:We were awful, and totally outclassed. Vidic should have gone, from 2 yellows if nothing else.
We deserved nothing though, one of the most one sided games I have seen. We deserved nothing. If I see 1 more fancy dan ****ed header in the middle of the park that goes to the opposition I am going to scream. How
many times did that happen today?
Totally outclassed, it was almost funny.

Don't hold back, say what you really feel.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

It's difficult to remember us being so outclassed isn't it?
I am not complaining( except for those "headers") they are a better team than us. We were
terrible though, but we will stay up.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3019 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

We got battered today .

In all honesty , as just as the two penalties we scored were , they were our only real efforts .

A few of our team were below par , and Avram got his tactics wrong IN MY OPINION at half time - should have taken off a forward and slung on a midfielder .
beckton

Post by beckton »

I watched it on tele today, from four and half thousand miles away and I thought our midfield was ****.

We had to be at our best today and we weren't and that is simply why we lost, tactics smactics, too many players for us had poor games.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

beckton wrote:I watched it from four and half thousand miles away
Ah, warming up for Stratford already .....
beckton

Post by beckton »

Even I could see it wasn't handball by Upson. :shock:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Correct .That's because that was Tony Gale filling in for him today .
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Football is such a funny game. All my mates thought Da Costa had a good game but I thought he was average at best. Mis-read a number of headers, dived in and poor positionally. When Berbatov came on he made him look an absolute clown. Don't get me wrong, I rate the bloke, but his casual demeanour and lack or experience means he aint at the level some people, and himself, think he should be.

Positive for me, as every game he has played, is Demba Ba. This guy is mustard.
Singaporeiron

Post by Singaporeiron »

We simply didn't turn up today, 2-0at half time yet 100% dominated by manure, the writing was there for all to see yet Grant stuck with the same tactics, unreal, you cant sit back and defend against teams like manure but we tried and yet again failed. Doom and gloom certainly not and we have enough about us in the games left to get to 42 points, the problem is will that be enough...
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

westhamerica wrote:BO, I don't know where the overrated tag on Upson comes from. I think most people realize he's a good but terribly inconsistent center back.

The pairing of MDC and Upson worked early because we forced them wide and they were playing the ball in the air into the box. Once they got it on the ground and had three forwards moving about they were never going to be up to the task. Neither CB showed any positional discipline, probably because both weren't getting much help from midfield or the fullbacks. Too much space, and too much respect given.
It may hve worked in the sense that they didn't score in that time period, but Upson's decision making during that time was horrific & cost us posession on three ocassions needlessly, off the top of my head..

He is overated obvoously, he's represented England but hopefully never again..

I think it's tragic he's played for us for so long to be honest..
Bobby Orangeboom

Chazza wrote:Football is such a funny game. All my mates thought Da Costa had a good game but I thought he was average at best. Mis-read a number of headers, dived in and poor positionally. When Berbatov came on he made him look an absolute clown. Don't get me wrong, I rate the bloke, but his casual demeanour and lack or experience means he aint at the level some people, and himself, think he should be.

Positive for me, as every game he has played, is Demba Ba. This guy is mustard.
Mad isn't it, i thought Da Costa won the Ball a lot today & his only fault was getting done by Berbatov on the sideline.

& i thought Ba was Pants overall & nowhere near the Game..
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

Our midfield gave the ball away way too often, looked like they were nervous or something, too bad, **** happens.
Cambiasso
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

theflafson wrote:Our midfield gave the ball away way too often, looked like they were nervous or something, too bad, sh*t happens.
I'm not sure if they ever strung more than two or three successive passes together ...
Earl K

Post by Earl K »

I'd love to know what Avram says at half-time to get an unrecognisable performance from the first half.
Having said that, I thought we were hard done-by. Vidic should have been off, not once but twice, and the penalty against Upson was harsh, even if his 'nutmeg' for their last goal was laughable.
Luckily, we're still in with a chance of escaping, but these 'Jekyl and Hyde' performances have to stop, otherwise we've got no hope.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Singaporeiron wrote:We simply didn't turn up today, 2-0at half time yet 100% dominated by manure, the writing was there for all to see yet Grant stuck with the same tactics, unreal, you cant sit back and defend against teams like manure but we tried and yet again failed. Doom and gloom certainly not and we have enough about us in the games left to get to 42 points, the problem is will that be enough...
In order to do that, we will have to win all our three remaining home games and get 1 point from somewhere on the road. As goal difference might yet be the deciding factor, we cannot afford to get tonked at Bolton, Chelsea and Man City or perm any one from these three.
Bobby Orangeboom

Earl K wrote:I'd love to know what Avram says at half-time to get an unrecognisable performance from the first half.
Having said that, I thought we were hard done-by. Vidic should have been off, not once but twice, and the penalty against Upson was harsh, even if his 'nutmeg' for their last goal was laughable.
Luckily, we're still in with a chance of escaping, but these 'Jekyl and Hyde' performances have to stop, otherwise we've got no hope.
There was no Jekyll & Hype performance, we didn't play well really in the First Half no matter that we went in at 2-0 up & should have faced 10 Men in teh Secondd Half..

I have no doubt however that if the Referee would have implemented the Rules as he should have done but didn't, we would be 3 Points better off today..
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

.[/quote=i thought Ba was Pants overall & nowhere near the Game..[/quote]

Agree, the amount of pressure we came under because he kept trying stupid flicks and lay offs instead of getting hold of the ball would drive a Sunday morning manager nuts (likewise Cole!) and his runs off the ball are all in straight lines, so easy for defenders to track and mark him.
There is of course a huge gap between our players and theirs but at 2-0 up with them a player down I would have expected even us to have picked up all the points. For me yesterday also showed the gap between the management of each club, I dont want to knock Grant too much, he is our manager and I dearly want him to keep us up and suceed, but I have to admit I have never ever understood how he has developed a career as a Premiership manager.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Think you are wrong about Ba...

Balls were occasionally reaching him from all sorts of angles and he had a good stab at doing something with them...Was continually finding space for himself on the few occasions our midfield did have good possession... He impressed me.
dmyeo66

Post by dmyeo66 »

We were poor first half.....worse second half. But Vidic should have been sent off without a shadow of doubt. That would have forced Fergie's Assistant (as he aint supposed to be involved in tactical changes due to being banned) into making a big decision. Probably bringing on another centre half. The ref has to hold his hand up and admit he got it very wrong. Also I was very surprised at the lack of vocal support for West Ham by the home fans even when we were 2 goals up. And people are concerned about the lack of atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium!!

The main thing I noticed was the players heads dropped big time when Vidic didn't get sent off and other decisions went against the team. It looked as though they thought "we aint going to get anything here today"......even though we had 2 penalties!!!

Grant must also shoulder plenty of the blame as yet again his half time pep talk was poor.