West Ham Utd 2 Manchester Utd4 (02/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

joyful

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester Utd: Match Thread

Post by joyful »

A ref would have to have balls the size of a small planet to give two pens against Man Utd AND then send off their captain who has only just returned from injury. So I'm not surprised Vidic stayed on the pitch.

The key to this game is going to be how we react to this defeat. On the positive side, we''ve put the "haven't scored against them in last five league games " to bed and we did have enough to force them to use their rested players and make a game of it.

They were miles better than us and that's not surprising. We showed fight, togetherness and effort across the pitch and made a game of it. So, so, much better than some of the pathetic surrenders in earlier games this season.

so let's not pull every player apart and micro analyse this game. Let's just have a positive reaction next week and in the remaining home games especially, all of which are winnable if we keep our nerve. :crest:
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Surely, and I mean SURELY this league is bent. Man U get decision after decision.

1st pen was clear, and he should of walked, blocked a shot.
2nd was also clear.
Vidic should walked, the first challenge was a red, the second was a second yellow.
The free kick was NOT a free kick, Noble won the ball clearly and cleanly.
How the penalty could be given I shall never know.

But, we won't hear about that on match of the day, we'll only hear about it being a 'Champion's' comeback.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Ref was a joke, O'Neil didn't stop running, thought Hitz should of supported Bridge more, we could of done with another midfielder or defender when they stuck three upfront, Cole was vital today won two penalties.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Twice this season we have had refs looking through our players and giving handballs wrongly.

Whether it is handball or not, the ref has had to guess both times and both shouldn't have been given. Even the lino today gave a corner.

Vidic definately should have gone, though probably for 2 yellows rather than a straight red.

If Piq gets sent off for celebrating with his fans, how on earth did Rooney not get booked for his actions towards hammers fans after his third?

The ref (from Lancashire apparently...) gave us two decisions that he had no choice to give, but other than that, he might as well have been wearing a Man Utd shirt.

Losing to Man Utd shouldn't result in relegation, but coupled with today's results, it is going to be hard to stay up.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

fmgod wrote:Ref was a joke, O'Neil didn't stop running, thought Hitz should of supported Bridge more, we could of done with another midfielder or defender when they stuck three upfront, Cole was vital today won two penalties.

apart from the twp penalies they gifted us we didn't work their goalkeeper once, 16 corners to nil, 37%of the ball

don't even try to blame the ref...................................
sion

Post by sion »

We were beaten by a team full of quality but it should have been different both evra and vidic should have gone and the pen against us was tough to take however if we go down it won't be because we were beaten by Man utd it will be for run we had at the start through to late autumn.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

Just like to offer some balance about the ref. I think the 2nd pen was just outside. I do think the ref gave theirs to even it up.

We could have easily got vidic sent off if we pressed him 2nd half. I reckon he was 2 fouls away from a 2nd yellow. Unfortunately we didn't go near him.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Iron Mark wrote:
If Piq gets sent off for celebrating with his fans, how on earth did Rooney not get booked for his actions towards hammers fans after his third?
Yep that piquionne sending off cost us 2 points and possibly a cup final appearance but Man Utd can do what they want :thdn:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Would have taken the draw, even at half time. As much as our two penalties appeared correctly given, we didn't deserve the lead. Which says a fair amount, because Man United were poorly drilled and sent out in an unusual formation.

We've got to go into the next game as if this one never happened.

It was slightly worrying to watch both Ba and Piquionne both look a bit laboured despite a two week break since the last match.

I hate Rooney just a touch more than I did before the game. His dive for a pen in the first half was disgraceful. It was one of the worst dives I honestly have ever seen.

Glad that's the last I personally will see of him. Makes me cringe to think he represents England.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

old fart wrote:
apart from the twp penalies they gifted us we didn't work their goalkeeper once, 16 corners to nil, 37%of the ball

don't even try to blame the ref...................................
Is the correct summation of todays game.

What is it about people nowadays that they cant just admit that we were beaten by the better team?

How many people wernt sitting there at half time and thinking about how the hell we were winning 2 nil?

Hardly surprising when you look at the money they have spent and the players they can attract is it.?

Yes Vidic could/should have been sent off and Upsons 'handball' is debatable, but im not certain even that would have made a lot of difference because we barely touched the ball in the second half.......

But hey, we let in four and its all the refs fault. :asleep:
Ercans
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Ercans »

Just got back. well gutted. I thought we'd do it at halftime but it all went horribly wrong. Once hernandez came on we sat well deep allowing carrick to run the show. Upson should've stepped the line up and Grant should've got spector on to sit on carrick. Once rooney's freekick went in it was only going one way.

I thought our support was good. decent atmosphere. and to all the manc scum giving it the big one when rooneys hatrick went in, you were nowhere before that.

:crest:
Guv'nor

Post by Guv'nor »

Even at half time, people with me in the BML were getting a bit too carried away, in thinking its a job done. I knew we was in for a jekylll and hyde 2nd half
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Awbis wrote:We got what we deserved today. We sat far too deep and gave them too much room.

Evra should have gone for the first pen.
2nd was not a pen
Vidic was not a sending off.
Their pen was not.

They were not that good today, we were poor.

1 yes without doubt
2 yes it was, it was in the area, right in front of me
3 of course it was he was last man and denied a goal scoring oppurtunity
4 Agreed the linesman was correct witht the award of the corner. It hit Upsons chest and Lee Mason would not even acknowledge his own assistant once he gave the phantom penalty

We were not brilliant but it is united. but the referee was a complete bottlejob and to use fergies language a cheat
2 - look at the replays when you get a chance - contact was outside.
3 - last man has nothing to do with it. the offence is 'denying of a goal scoring opportunity'. he did not have control of the ball, which would have still got to the keeper anyway. should have been a yellow though, which means a red with the 2nd one.
4 - it did hit upsons arm, but was still not a pen as his arm was pretty much by his side and moving backwards.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

what did that prick Rooney do anyhow? They were saying on Talkshite he swore at the camera?

Also why was the little **** not booked fir his pathetic attempt at a dive at the end of the first half?
VD-Jonnie

Post by VD-Jonnie »

Don't know what I would have done different really. We did good, then couldn't hold against a great side. One good tackle and we may have won. We do not support man u here, we support West Ham. They do this all the time.
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

At the break all i did was hoping that ManU wouldn't do us like they did Blackpool and sadly they did and more.

Sure i want to cry, will it help us? No.

Just need to hope they boys didn't lose hope cause of that and make sure they push harder for the next one.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Rooney has apparently released a statement apologising for his celebration.

still a dick though
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

Mart13 wrote:Rooney has apparently released a statement apologising for his celebration.

still a dick though

what did he do?
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

FurryDice Upton Boy wrote: what did he do?
Didn't make out what he actually said but there were a few naughty words shouted [towards the west ham fans?], commentators on the TV had to apologise to us viewers.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

I started reading the last few pages and just gave up. Forget giving up a 2 0 lead. We were battered. We can not cope with pace. We have seen the same all season against the like of Citeh and Arsenal. We are teared a new ****hole whenever teams attack us with speed.

Negatives - See above, and the fact that Grant was too slow to react to the problems we were facing when we could just not hold the ball. I have a lot of time for Grant, but was he the only person at the Boleyn that could not see that Ba looked ****ed.

Positives - Da Costa was immense for most of the game.