West Ham Utd 1 Aston Villa 2 (16/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

West Ham Utd 1 Aston Villa 2 (16/04/11)

Post by -DL- »

Just thought I would start this up while everybody is imploding on today's match thread.

3-2 to us, in a scrappy game is The DL prediction, all 5 goals coming from blunders.
Zola4ever

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa Match Thread

Post by Zola4ever »

im going to this with GPH im dreading it now :(
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

It was bad today. However, we are forgetting that in recent months we have been performing quite well. Lapses in concentration, and dubious decisions cost us against Manure. We were sound against Spurs, Stoke, Liverpool, Blackpool, and Everton. I think we can take Villa, but the team, and tactics must be right.

----------------------------------------Green------------------------------------------------

Jacobson------------Da Costa---------Tomkins/Upson---------------Bridge

O'Neill----------------Hitzelsperger-------------Parker------------------Noble

-------------------------------------------------Obinna---------------------------------

-------------------------------Ba-----------------------------------------------------------

Boffin,Gabbidon,Upson/Tomkins,Keane,Spector,Cole,Boa Morte
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

we'll win this 2-1, if not we are ****ed.
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

i really hope we drop Upson
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Zola4ever wrote:i really hope we drop Upson
What makes you say that ??

His distrubition ??

His decision making ??

His being Subbed in a Game, against Kevin Davies again, when it's going wrong & because he cut his eye ??

What is it ??

I think we'll lose this Game with or without Upson.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Going to this one. Needless to say if we don't win we're relegated, that's the way i see it anyway.
PA_Hammer

Post by PA_Hammer »

I think the term must-win is overused, however in this circumstance it is not. This game is a MUST-WIN to give us a good chance at staying up. If we drop 3 points at home to another relegation side we are ****ed. We need to forget about the last two get all 3 points.

We also need to park Piq on the bench and play Gary O'Neil.
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
What makes you say that ??

His distrubition ??

His decision making ??

His being Subbed in a Game, against Kevin Davies again, when it's going wrong & because he cut his eye ??

What is it ??

I think we'll lose this Game with or without Upson.
watching him at the moment mate i think his leadership is awful, i think his awareness in the box is poor and i really think his worst than do costa and tomkins at cb at the moment
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Zola4ever wrote:watching him at the moment mate i think his leadership is awful, i think his awareness in the box is poor and i really think his worst than do costa and tomkins at cb at the moment
It's been much, much longer than that Mate, trust me..

His leadership is quite obviously p*ss poor, his awareness is awful, his distribution doesn't belong on a Premiership Football Pitch & his decision making iss at times worse than all of them..

A big part of the reason we've been so poor for the last 2 Seasons, at least..
Last edited by Bobby Orangeboom on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If we're going 4-4-2 then he has some big decisions:

Centre Back: Upson, Tomkins or Dacosta - perm 2.
Centre midfield: Hitz or Noble - pick 1 to partner Parker. Other one to the bench.
Wide right: O'Neil I guess
Wide left: LBM or Obinna
Forwards: Cole and Ba for me - Keane and Piq to the bench
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

must win game, 3 points desperately needed
COYI :crest:
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

As long as Grant (I think thats how its spelt ! Seem to remember a C in there somewhere) stays in the ****ing stand and goes nowhere near the team and the tea lady controls the technical area for us we'll be OK.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Just don't have a good feeling about this one. Hopefully thats just down to todays result and my optimism will return
during the week. 4-4-2 with Cole and Ba up top and a midfield four that can provide them the ball to feet or provide
them crosses. From a defensive standpoint the extra midfielder should be Oneil, from an attacking standpoint, put Searsy in.
We really need some width and pace, we've gone all Zolaesque again. Oh and Hitzlsperger, being left footed mate you may want to try and cover your fullback every now and again. Score draw.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Right I want to see a 4-4-2 formation for this game my team would be

...............................................Green..........................................

........JAC......................Da Costa.............Tomkins............Brigde.......

........O'Neil.....................Parker................Hitz....................Obinna....

.......................................Cole.................Ba........................................

Bring on Noble around the 65th min for either Hitz or Obinna depending on how they are playing or the score at the time.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

After a brief period of games where I've looked forward to the weekend's match, I've slowly sunk back to what it was like at the start of the season - feeling a mild sense of dread
bigskool

Post by bigskool »

this is 1 scary game villa are a good side on there day and have the potential to beat any 1.

we cant allow service into bent because he is a machine so that means pressure on young, downing and albrighton no free crosses for them or the freedom of the pitch lets put the squeeze on this lot and if the team can start fast the crowd will get right behind us and i can see us getting a few lucky decisions along the way to a nail bitting win

2 - 1 ( fancy bridge getting a goal )
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by ottsands »

Zola4ever wrote:im going to this with GPH im dreading it now
Don't blame you mate.

Oh hold on, you're talking about the team being crap. :wink:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Never a dull moment supporting this great club of ours! We cannot assume it's ok for the last 3...it won't be and we're sleepwalking into relegation if we think otherwise. This IS the pivotal game; the one where we know if the players are genuinely ready to fight for our PL lives. I don't get this apathetic acceptance that we write off getting anything from Citeh or Chelsea. We must fight for it and we can.

What we don't need, are old player grievances coming to the surface; no sulking because they are going to be asked to step outside comfort zones for half a dozen games...and I don't want to hear good games being talked up in the media; it's bollox; I just want them to go out and do it..prove it; let the talking be done on the pitch without the need for bleating excuses afterwards. 2-1 :crest:
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

I don't want to write off the Chelsea and Man City away games, I'm just going by the comments about the last two games. 2-0 up against Man Utd until the 64th minute, but we all expected it to end up 2-4, and we never get anything at Bolton. Why? But, it's not just the results, it's the performances that I've been disappointed with. Today it seemed like we were beat before the game started. Why was that?

Somehow, Grant has to lift the team, put out the right players in the right formation, and then make the necessary changes if things aren't going right, against Villa. Just looking at Grant's previous form, it's not looking good. It's the game of the season, maybe one of the most important games in our recent history. We need three points, I'll be praying it happens.