West Ham Utd 1 Aston Villa 2 (16/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa Match Thread

Post by mushy »

For the first time in ages I was not there today, but am very confused about the football experts on this site who went to the game.
Was Cole any good or not? Half seem to say he had a decent game and the other half seem to say he was cack.
Were we all at different games or something?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Pathetic display...we made a cack Villa team look like Barcelona.

Poor tactics...awful game from every single player apart from Upson.

lucky to only lose 2-1

Ref was dire too :thdn:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Romford wrote:Pathetic display...we made a cack Villa team look like Barcelona.

Poor tactics...awful game from every single player apart from Upson.

lucky to only lose 2-1

Ref was dire too :thdn:
Add Upson to my 'confused' post.
Like I said, I never went today but most on here have been caning Upson,
Not having a pop at anyone but am constantly amazed at how far apart different posters opinions are of players.
Cole being the obvious one, seems like we either love him or hate him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Mushy

Think he is a victim of circumstances. Great though ball from Keane, good shot well blocked by I think Luke Young. Another good ball can't remember who gave it to him, great shot very good save from Friedel. Second half got a glorious chance Friedel and I think Dunne got confused between them, difficult chance but should have side footed it over the keeper with the whole goal to aim at, ended up in the crowd.

Other than that we gave him a load of hoofs upfield to do something with but he didn't and/or couldn't ~ service was *****...

Usual devoid of ideas, halfway line pass back to Green to hoof it up front. The more desperate we got the more we hoofed it.

Grant says "we were nervous." Fkcuing masterful grasp of the obvious. Tactics were dire. Hitz should have gone left, Noble and maybe Specs or LBM maybe LBM left and Hitz in the middle with Noble. Obinna offers absolutely nothing defensively and of course we got the "Diamante" when he got fouled and sat there pounding the ground holding his leg. Was a foul definitely but it doesn't help when they are attacking and we are down to 10 men and a pouting child. And Diamante got lambasted for that (quite rightly) last year.

I give up. (and so has the team and manager evidently).
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

Just got back and what a ****ing disgrace that was.... Upson is the weakest and most lacking in commitment of any paltry I have ever seen in claret and blue. I was counting and in the whole entire game so you know how many headers we won in our own 18 yard box?? 2!!! 2 ****ing headers all game. Villa won every other!

When upson wasn't losing headers through his lack of committtmment, he was dragged horribly put of position. Further forward it didn't get any better. Bridge had no support on his wing from ribena, he was left 2v1 countless times. Noble lost possession regularly. With no ba up front we had no movement and the amount of times we had the ball in midfield with nowhere to pass it to was embarrassing!
Cole was his usual self, won a few long balls and looked a threat at times, but again quite lazy off the ball and clumsy on it. Keen was a weird man of the match for me. He ran around a lot but apart from his goal he did nothing. However this could be blamed on the quality of service as much as anything else.
The ref made some shocking decisions not least giving every villa dive a free kick but allowing our players to be chopped in half from behind or pushed over.

All in all villa were ****. We however were a hole new brand of excrement.

Yes mathematically we can stay up and the table doesn't even look that bad, but trust me for anyone who wasn't there we won't.... 100% going down, and deservedly so.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

I wouldn't say Villa were bad.

They got numbers forward and numbers back. They kept their shape and attacked us with pace. Look at the goal attempts and the possession - it was one way.
They looked fitter, stronger and knew what they were doing. We were the complete opposite - and at this stage of the season, it's a bit late to start having a bad run of successive defeats.

Tactics? The manager? It's the players for me. Can't blame the manager for Noble making a schoolboy error of trying to dribble in his own area. Can't blame the manager for no one following up on Green's ounch out towards the corner flag. All stood and watched as Young followed it out there and kept it in unchallenged. Two incidents of lazy professionalism that cost us the game. Not that we deserved to win of course.

We are very poor. We make other teams look good. We do not pressure players on the ball. We do not do enough running off it to create chances and open up play. We do not look fit enough to compete at this level. We always look tired following any spell of effort. We are slow. We do not attack with pace anymore. We have totally lost confidence and look like we do not know where the next win is coming from.
We have Chelsea and Man City away next :?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Old Mile End wrote:We have Chelsea and Man City away next :?
Knowing our lot, we will get something out of both of those.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

What disappointed me, was that every man and his dog knew how Villa would play and we did nothing to counter it.

Noble was gash today and Wayne Bridge was left more exposed than ever.

Even us amateurs over on the tactics thread predicted that we would need to protect our full backs, but our "one step away from a cup" manager couldn't.

Disgraceful
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

No brains, no bottle, no tactics, no heart, no belief, no leadership! Utter utter b*llocks!

Unfortunately yesterday wasn't the day West Ham were relegated but it was certainly the first paragraph of the obituary penned!
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

Great day out yesterday with GPH, god that man drinks like a goldfish lmao.

Was a poor performance really, although Kean scored he really did f*** all after that thought he was pretty poor, Noble well nuff said the guys poor at the moment and needs a few games on the bench.

Shame about the mass fight i witnessed after the game by priory road was not nice at all, not old bill about aswell so 2 fellas just got there heads smashed in :thdn:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

mushy wrote:For the first time in ages I was not there today, but am very confused about the football experts on this site who went to the game.
Was Cole any good or not? Half seem to say he had a decent game and the other half seem to say he was cack.
Were we all at different games or something?
Cole is a player who throws up a range of opinions, though. The bloke in front of me yesterday was clearly looking for every little mistake to stand up and give him a ranting.

I'd think that the best way of summing him up was that

(a) he and Keane were the best two forwards we had on the pitch (Hines was a bizarre gamble and he didn't seem to know what he was on the pitch for and Ba was way off the pace)
(b) he didn't do too badly, but also didn't do as well as he might have done. He had one decent effort which was well saved. He brought down some of the balls pumped forward and retained/moved on some of these.

The reality though is that the longer the game went on, the more wildly the ball was just being booted up in the air for him. We needed to engage Keane to force their CB's to commit with their feet, really.

Our tactics were worse than any given player.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Cole and Keane were our best players when we weren't playing like Stoke.

Long balls to Collins and Dunne only had one outcome.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Essex 'Ammer12 wrote:Did anyone else see Chris Kamara running along Green Street after the game :lol: .
Unbelievable!
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

The Old Mile End wrote We have Chelsea and Man City away next ?

Knowing our lot, we will get something out of both of those.
In years gone by I'd fully agree but we are going to get so badly demolished, I can see us conceding 10 in these 2 games.
If they can't be motivated to play in front of their own support, against a team around us in a game that was dubbed "must win" long before the kick off, I can't see anything other than a huge defeat away to clubs infinitely better than we are.

0-1 it is then :D
Avram's Lucky Scarf

Post by Avram's Lucky Scarf »

Muddy wrote: Young was a diving, time wasting c***. A discrace.
Always has been. Dont disagree with that. Think he has won the most free kicks in the league.

The team has nothing and for me its just reflecting the manager. We kept up last year due to other sides being woeful, this time around we aint going to get that luck.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I really cant understand how a succession of managers and owners have left our team so devoid of pace in any area..

Villa have a very strong squad..put in Stephen Ireland at his best instead of Reo Coker and on paper they belong in the top third.

I was so envious of their right back...a 20 year old loanee from Sp*rs who was sprinting 60 yards at the sniff of a chance to join in the attack.

We have no one with the pace to overlap our forwards or get back quickly enough to help out the defence.

Not criticising O'Neill but surely we should have gone for a quick player if we wanted to strengthen the midfield.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Essex 'Ammer12 wrote:Has it crossed anyone elses mind's that the home game against Sunderland may be the last ever top flight game at the Boleyn :cry: ?
Gulp. Anybody know the result of our first ever game at the Boleyn ? Bet we lost it
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

They should have had a man sent off with the push from Dunne. Would have changed the game.

Still, tactics in the second half were mindless. Four strikers, no outlet in midfield, ridiculous.

Keane "man of the match", what the f*** did he do except for score a tap in? I can't stand that bloke. People get on Cole's back (literally everyone around where I sit) for not making the effort, but that Robbie Keane did nothing for 85 minutes. Don't even get me started on Obina. How he was anywhere near the starting XI is beyond me. And people booed the decision (I presume that's what it was) to take him off instead of Cole. There's some braindead muppets over there.

Upson made a world class block when Young skinned Jacobsen. Apart from that he looked second best most of the day. Saying that, Heskey can do that to the best defenders in the league, so you can't blame the defender completely.

In the pub before the game I said we would lose, meaning we'd have to win the last three games to stand a chance of staying up. I also said a) I don't think it'll be enough and b) I don't think we'll do it anyway. Our goal difference is also gonna be minus another 6 or 7 after the next two game.

I'm usually very optimistic but we're ****ed, get used to it, start looking up those away game trips.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Probably the worst performance I've seen at UP this season. 1st half pretty even, but right from the start of the 2nd Villa could smell blood and we let them have it.
No leadership, no desire, no bottle, no gameplan - apart from that we were ok.
We got what we deserved from the game - nowt.

I think we will need to win our last 3 games to stay up, and who's to say it won't happen?

COYI

P.S. Ashley (swan lake) Young is a disgrace.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Matt of iron wrote:Cole and Keane were our best players when we weren't playing like Stoke.

Long balls to Collins and Dunne only had one outcome.
agreed...sadly this was pointed out by just about every poster in the tactics thread....and is the same every game to be honest..