West Ham Utd 1 Aston Villa 2 (16/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

vapourtrail

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa Match Thread

Post by vapourtrail »

Had some chats with hitz during this season. he was really suprised, that they've had no(!!!) tactic-sessions in training during their first 3 1/2 weeks in summer.

sometimes those things backfire, when you're playing against a opponent, who really causes you havoc and the teams simply doesn't know howto prevent this kind of trouble in switching the formation a bit. f.e. double up their dangerous wingers.
Avram's Lucky Scarf

Post by Avram's Lucky Scarf »

Whats this all about Collins having a blinder?

Young was their stand out player, but he wont get space like that every week.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Other than Gabs (who actually played very well), the defence was shocking. Upson did not win a single header. I could speak for hours about how much I can't stand Upson. He is the most overrated centre half in the country. He also carries this air about him that he thinks he is a real quality player.

Hiltz and Noble were extremely extremely poor. When is Noble going to just do the simple things rather than try and play like Fabregas or someone of superior quality to him. Just play to your strengths Mark - you are costing us games trying to be clever.

Cole - a joke. Hasnt had the ball under control at all all season.

Keane worked hard in all fairness to him.

I am starting to regret paying the £60 for my Chelsea ticket next week. What hope do we have.
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by polar »

Young tormented us throughout the second half.

Collins played ok - nothing more than that.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Avram's Lucky Scarf wrote: Young was their stand out player, but he wont get space like that every week.
Agree. His and Bent's movement was first class.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Young only really started tearing us apart though when O'Neil went off as Jacob had no protection and Young was mugging him off cutting inside and out and causing all sort of problems.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Both Defence's were a joke today, its understandable for us as we have a weak captain which filters through to the rest of our defence. I thought Jac and bridgy were both poor today, both wingers cut inside on their favoured foot 99% of the time(just like Sturridge last week) and they still didn't read it too block the crosses and shots that rained down on us.
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

One more thing.. The referee was pathetic. Villa should have been down to ten men after Dunne's foul on Cole. Last man, through on goal.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

When O'Neill was injured, should that have been a pen? Looked like it from where I was, but, by that time, I was hoping for anything.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

I last felt this crushed and defeated after the 4-3 v spurs.

What a clueless inept and throughly useless display that was from the whole set-up- this is no knee-jerk, its the reality that we are ****ing pony all over the park- dont give me injuries or a bad ref, we had no shape, no plan, no guile. no grit, no class...try and win the game--Obinna OFF and Hines ON!? Did Hines actually do anything apart from shank it for a corner.??

Noble-= another completely inept show. Upson- found wanting AGAIN ,...one after another ****ing useless

honestly, ive said it all season long, what do these guys do at training apart from compare cars, because it doesnt seem to me there's anything that they do that cant be learnt in the tunnel - tactic today were..err get it to cole as quick as you can.

When you need inspisration you look to the bench and you see wally ****ing downes with his hands on his hips...and that about sums us up, a championship club and set-up at best.

good night.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

prophet:marginal wrote:When O'Neill was injured, should that have been a pen? Looked like it from where I was, but, by that time, I was hoping for anything.
From my view point that would have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch so yes

That said, our physical presence was non existent. The first time we did dare to make a physical challenge it stood out so much that the ref thought it must be a foul and it continued in the same way for the remainder

Hate to say it but we are a very poor side and don't deserve to stay up )-:
lewisham-mer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by lewisham-mer »

Perhaps mr cole should spend more time sharpening his goal scoring skills rather than twittering every training session
m-h

Post by m-h »

When you call the Football Association out, what do you expect.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

w4hammer wrote:I last felt this crushed and defeated after the 4-3 v Sp*rs.

What a clueless inept and throughly useless display that was from the whole set-up- this is no knee-jerk, its the reality that we are f***ing pony all over the park- dont give me injuries or a bad ref, we had no shape, no plan, no guile. no grit, no class...try and win the game--Obinna OFF and Hines ON!? Did Hines actually do anything apart from shank it for a corner.??

Noble-= another completely inept show. Upson- found wanting AGAIN ,...one after another f***ing useless

honestly, ive said it all season long, what do these guys do at training apart from compare cars, because it doesnt seem to me there's anything that they do that cant be learnt in the tunnel - tactic today were..err get it to cole as quick as you can.

When you need inspisration you look to the bench and you see wally f***ing downes with his hands on his hips...and that about sums us up, a championship club and set-up at best.

good night.
Agree with all this.

Just got home and still find it hard to believe what I witnessed today, total shambles, totally gutted...
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

That 4-3 loss to Spurs was much more gutting to this. In that game we showed commitment, class and had direction and tactics.

This West Ham team tries hard but it just doesn't know what to do on the ball and puts far too much pressure on the defence. I was gutted when we gave up that goal to Agbonlahor but I wasn't heartbroken because we deserve to go down.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

I just got back.

That is without a doubt the worst second half performance in a good while.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

two crucial injuries and the absence of Parker - up against Young and Bent who are better than anyone we've got. Villa had a plan and stuck to it, worked hard.
We didn't have a plan and just didn't have the energy or confidence once they scored.
It's not all over yet, though. As long as Wolves don't go on a run, it's still all down to that Blackburn game.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Substitions.........we needed a midfielder.
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

I tried to be nice to Avram Grant but sod it, I want to kill the useless ****er.

Looks pretty desperate now, looks as though the relegation threatened clubs have reduced to four and one of those is in form.

I suggest the owners take a surprise gamble and appoint Tony Carr for the remainder of the season and let Avram have a little sunshine break.
lewis100985
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by lewis100985 »

Trap1 wrote:I tried to be nice to Avram Grant but sod it, I want to kill the useless f***er.

Looks pretty desperate now, looks as though the relegation threatened clubs have reduced to four and one of those is in form.

I suggest the owners take a surprise gamble and appoint Tony Carr for the remainder of the season and let Avram have a little sunshine break.
Will never happen, we'll hold on to the useless twonk until the summer now. January was the time to wield the axe.