West Ham Utd 1 Aston Villa 2 (16/04/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa Match Thread

Post by nickkarkie »

I didn't see the match as I was at Queens hospital for the birth of my daughter but from the highlights it seemed that Villa were much the better side and did not have to do much to get at our full backs, a simple ball to bent or heskey, lay it out wide and hey presto 1v1 with our fullbacks.

I will say though that the referee made some really poor big decisions, Dunne certainly fouled Cole and Agbonlahor blatantly pushed gabbidon forward before the ball arrived thus giving him a free header, Reo-Coker went right through O'Neil, ball or not it was a nasty stud-showing tackle similar to Legiertwood's "foul" on Carrick in the playoff final.

I will say it time and time again, WE HAVE NO SHAPE, our players are randomly spread all over the pitch when we lose possession, there is absolutely no organisation at the breakdown, something Cuenca has alluded to on here many times.

Noble does not have the energy to play in a midfield 2, he never has and he never will, certainly not alongside another player with no dynamism in Hitzlsperger, Obinna should not play in a wide midfield position - something us fans established months ago because he offers the fullback absolutely no help.

We are going down without a whimper, I predict defeats to Chelsea, Man City, Blackburn and Wigan unless Avram miraculously stops making the decisions he has been making all season.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Oldun wrote:Saw Mervyn Day as i came out today, anybody know who he is working for now?
Was told a while back that he was doing some scouting whilst he waits for Curbs to land a job :wink:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

was at Queens hospital for the birth of my daughter

congratulations mate

Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

collins and dunne must have gone home with kin headaches. ffs someone tell grant arial bombardments are NOT the west ham way! its bad enough losing but to lose playing like that is not on. i honestly would rather see us lose playing proper football than like that yesterday.lets get the proper west ham back losing yes but at least with a bit of style ffs. :cry:
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Thanks :thup: Everyone was telling me we would win because she would bring us good luck, we left the hospital at 4.50pm, had 5live on and hear "and another result that heavily affects the bottom of the table at Upton Park" (and loud cheers as if the home fans were celebrating a late goal) "West Ham 1, Villa 2", Oh no!

jimjimminy

Post by jimjimminy »

We always hoof the ball when Cole is up front. It's a nonsense because he's hopeless in the air and far better when the ball is played to his feet. It's just another example of the ineptness of the forever clueless Avram Grant.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

nickkarkie wrote:I was at Queens hospital for the birth of my daughter
:D congrats! Image
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Zola4ever wrote:Great day out yesterday with GPH, god that man drinks like a goldfish lmao.
:

Great meeting you mate.....but you are mistaken sir, I had a mere glass of sherry to calm the nerves :wink:
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

thanks hammer, much appreciated :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote:And then I got depressed and got another beer in.

Its only a game, y'all!

*cheesy grin*
:lol:
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

GideaParkHammer wrote:
Great meeting you mate.....but you are mistaken sir, I had a mere glass of sherry to calm the nerves
Lol i couldnt keep up with you mate, lmao im not a big drinker at all.

Was great meeting ya aswell dude we will have to do it again :raver:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

The amount of abuse being throw about after the final whistel was unbelievable (but not undesereved). Green turned around and was froze to the spot for a while looking gobsmacked.
ponder

Post by ponder »

Green seems to be one player who actually cares. After every shot on goal yesterday he was shouting at his defence, telling them where they should be, where the danger is. It must be really, really frustrating to be sat behind that defence week in, week out.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

More "not caring" nonsense.....

They aint good enough but that is such a cheap jibe.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

ponder wrote:Green seems to be one player who actually cares. After every shot on goal yesterday he was shouting at his defence, telling them where they should be, where the danger is. It must be really, really frustrating to be sat behind that defence week in, week out.
I do not have à harsh word for Green, one of very best players in last years. But once again he got stuck at his goalline. Could have saved Gabbs when he got pushed by Agbon (. Maybe Jac as well)
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

upton o'good wrote:
4-3-3?? Granted the players swapped positions quite a bit, but taht was a 4-4-2 for me. Obinna clearly was sppsed to be playing wide not up top.
The Gibbins wrote: Nothings changed since Liverpool away though has it? Obinna cannot play Left Midfeild and never will.

Not once did Bridge get any help as Obinna does not come back and help out. May not have intended to be 4-3-3 but it looked like it, as we had 3 men standing on half way line with hands on their hips whenever we didn't have posession. We were so badly organised and lacked shape all day.

A-ha. I agree obinna was an utter waste of space. The team instructions were clearly 4-4-2, and he failed to do the job of dropping back to help Bridge. (Had it been 4-3-3 then oNiell would have been central). Thing is, fora ll his limitattions these days LBM would have bene a more sensible pick for wide left.

For me though the worst problem was the speed of the parkerless cnetre midfield. Noble and Hitz just too slow to play together at the heart of a 4-4-2. (well that and the psychological blow of not having parker, we've built him up as our saviour...)
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Even through the first half our passing and distribution wasn't all that.....Noble had a mare. But to be fair, the ref was letting a lot of clear free kicks go, Dunne should have gone for bringing down Cole..

Anyhow, as long as we don't get spanked by Chelsea and Man City, we may stay up on goal difference, best of the bottom four at the moment.
ponder

Post by ponder »

OzzHammer wrote:best of the bottom four at the moment.
Having just lost our last 3 games, I'm not sure I understand your logic.
mutley

Post by mutley »

Three simple reasons why we ARE going down this season chaps

1. Sh*t Manager
2. Sh*t Defence
3. Sh*t Support at home

Really is as simple as that

We need to blame ourselves as much as the other 2
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

mutley wrote:Three simple reasons why we ARE going down this season chaps

1. Sh*t Manager
2. Sh*t Defence
3. Sh*t Support at home

Really is as simple as that

We need to blame ourselves as much as the other 2
Reason 3 is rubbish, look at some of the other teams in the league are just as bad with support and to blame it on that is laughable.