Man City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (01/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: Man City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

jimjimminy wrote:
Oh dear.
What does that mean ?
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Boa Morte may have been awful in the past for us - but anyone who thought he played badly yesterday are fundamentally wrong. He had a good game and I would go as far as saying we need him for the run in.

--------------------Green-----------------
Lars--Da Costa--Tomkins--Bridge
Sears---Parker---Hitz---Boa Morte
--------------Keane--------Ba------------

The above would also be harsh on Spector who has also probably done enough to warrant a starting position.

With Ba and Keane upfront, we have always got a chance as they will create chances for eachother. Do not play Barlton.
Last edited by stubbsy07 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimjimminy

Post by jimjimminy »

He gave the ball away once and it was a very poor pass. He then proceeded to run 60 yards to win the ball back. When he was placed in his preferable position of centre midfield, Man City had no idea how to get the ball off him without fouling the fella, He broke up their play and set us on the attack more times than I can recall.

Now people are judging him after listening to the game on the radio? :| I give up.
jimjimminy

Post by jimjimminy »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
What does that mean ?

It means with all due respect you're chatting nonsense.
MarshyWHU

City/West Ham fans yesterday

Post by MarshyWHU »

Great day out yesterday, good bunch of fans.

Inside the ground we sung 'where were you when you were ****' to which their reply of 'we were here when we were ****' got a clap from us. Then also sung bubbles at one point, which taking the piss or not, was met with another clap.

When we scored we all turned round to do 'The poznan' celebration that they do, which they all seemed to ****ing love. Apparently hardly any clubs do that when they score there. When we left we got talking to a few Citeh fans who said they wanted us to stay up and they have a lot of respect for us. Oh and they ****ing hate Tottenham too.

Our atmosphere in general was understandably pretty flat first 20 minutes but second half was spot on, got stupidly loud at some points. I was the 20 year old with the shorts and long sleeve navy polo starting chants and generally shrieking like a girl all game at the back :raver:

Where did West Ham drink beforehand? I was there with my old man and his City mate so couldn't join the main away bunch, just drank in a small pub.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

jimjimminy wrote:He gave the ball away once and it was a very poor pass. He then proceeded to run 60 yards to win the ball back. When he was placed in his preferable position of centre midfield, Man City had no idea how to get the ball off him without fouling the fella, He broke up their play and set us on the attack more times than I can recall.

Now people are judging him after listening to the game on the radio? :| I give up.
Not at all, I was at O/T for that game, I listened to the radio on the way back and they echoed my opinions.
For the record though, LBM gave the ball away more then once yesterday,I respect your opinion and those of others who said he had a good game, I happen to disagree
I also said that I wasnt sure we had anyone better, although thats not quite the same as saying he is any good.
He in my opinion often makes the wrong decisions (trying to stop the ball when it would have been our corner for instance).
I do however look forward to a public slating when his tireless workrate and all round footballing brain prove enough to keep us up.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Mushy - Can you tell me who is a better option than Boa Morte to play wide left when we play 4 - 4 - 2?

We're not saying he is great - but there are no better options. Perhaps it is one of the reasons why Grant loves 4 - 5 - 1 / 4 - 3 - 3 so much.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

stubbsy07 wrote:Mushy - Can you tell me who is a better option than Boa Morte to play wide left when we play 4 - 4 - 2?

We're not saying he is great - but there are no better options. Perhaps it is one of the reasons why Grant loves 4 - 5 - 1 / 4 - 3 - 3 so much.
Read above. I dont know. Midfield is an area where we are weak beyond the first picks.
says something though that we have resorted to Sears as a midfielder (although I think it suits), rather then anyone else.
And yes I know Sears is right mid.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

A lot of the debate about how LBM played seems to have come up due to my post on page 48 of this thread. Because of what some people are saying I think it's worth noting that my original comment was this:

"The performances of LBM and Spector were good enough to make it even more unbelievable that Grant has hardly used them in recent months. Matches in which we might have scraped a point away from home or held onto a lead are the kinds of situations in which you play hard working scrappers like these two. But Grant's suicidal tactical naivety has meant that we've played most of our recent matches with practically no possession of the ball."

Now reading that through, I think it's obvious that I'm not making any claims for LBM to be a world beater. I'm making another point which is the fact that players like Boa Morte and Spector are extremely useful in midfield when we want to recover the ball, hold on to it, shield our defence and give the opposing midfield (and wide players) a hard time. That's what they do. That Boa Morte isn't as good a long passer as Xabi Alonso or a short passer as Xavi is obvious. But I cannot for the life of me work out why Avram Grant has picked the likes of Ba, Obinna, Piq, Hines and Sears for left midfield when he has Boa Morte fit and ready to scrap

Luis Boa Morte will never get on my list of favourite West Ham players (I've rarely had anything good to say about him), but he had a good game yesterday and we'd have scraped a few more points if Grant had shown some tactical good sense recently and picked him ahead of some of the strikers he has foolishly tried to fit into left midfield.

And as I said before - when Grant pointlessly replaced him with Obinna yesterday, we lost bite, we lost shape, we lost the ball and Adam Johnson started to wipe the floor with us, and we lost a game that we might even have drawn if Avram hadn't made yet another one of his suicidal substitutions :think:
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Libero -

Agree with all of that :thup:
barlimanrob
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by barlimanrob »

LBM is a limited footballer.

He showed battle, grit and determination. He didn't shirk a single challenge. For this, he gets a :thup:

Understand what you're saying though Bo, I just wish a few more of them had the same attitute.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

stubbsy07 wrote:Mushy - Can you tell me who is a better option than Boa Morte to play wide left when we play 4 - 4 - 2?

4-4-2 is impossible to play with the players we have, anyone watching Liverpool yesterday would have seen how hard there front 2 worked, hassling defenders and making them concede possesion, this has to happen when you play with 2 up front. Unfortunately ours don't work at all. Centre Halfs were strolling out with the ball yesterday picking out passes, immediately by passing 2 or 3 of our players.
Our decision making is crap, we shoot when a pass is on and vice versa, reason why we're bottom of the league. IMO there were no positives to take from yesterday, we lost the game and didn't create a single chance in the 2nd half when we were meant to be the better side. Some people have to get real. We played with no urgency bar Sears and Spector plus the 2 central defenders.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Like many I've been confused at the underuse of Specs and LBM away from home especially.

In most games we half the ball they have half. When you're a poor side you simply MUST be good without the ball. Basically you have to fight.

At TBG LBM came in for some fearful grief from the stands because in home matches people expect us to be great in possession which LBM clearly isn't. He's a better player, a far better player, without the ball and therefore his use away from home when we're under the cosh even more is valuable.

I didn't go much on 2 strikers at City with the inevitable time and space afforded to Silva. Just don't think we're good enough to play with 2 up front, let alone the scaryingly optimistic 3. In these tough away trips surely we have to be realistic and play 3 in the middle two wide and Ba (please!) down the middle.

Anyway, most of that is history.

Let the season begin..I think we'll get 7 points from our 'first 3' games. :crest:
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

In a struggle, and with the impact of injuries - like the season we got promoted on the back of a centre back partnership of anton and wardy - it is not your best players who necesarily make up your best team.

For me Sears, Gabbidon showed great fighting spirit and would like to see them feature in the run in.
Also Ba - but at centre forward - was excellent in his efforts

Upson should never wear our shirt again
bobo

Post by bobo »

The performances of LBM and Spector were good enough to make it even more unbelievable that Grant has hardly used them in recent months. Matches in which we might have scraped a point away from home or held onto a lead are the kinds of situations in which you play hard working scrappers like these two. But Grant's suicidal tactical naivety has meant that we've played most of our recent matches with practically no possession of the ball."

Specotr should start infront of Noble in a 3 man midfield, FACT! Noble is a good player but it should be him & Hitz battling out for the ball playing position.

If we started Spector against Bolton we would have had more energy in the middle of the park, same goes for Sears.
bobo

Post by bobo »

poplargeezer wrote:In a struggle, and with the impact of injuries - like the season we got promoted on the back of a centre back partnership of anton and wardy - it is not your best players who necesarily make up your best team.

For me Sears, Gabbidon showed great fighting spirit and would like to see them feature in the run in.
Also Ba - but at centre forward - was excellent in his efforts

Upson should never wear our shirt again

Agree :thup:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Libero keeping it real... :thup:
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

"You're just a fat Paris Hilton!" (Sung to a fat Man City blond bird)

Absolute classic :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

A largely gutless performance summed up when with about 15 minutes to go and we were on the attack chasing an equaliser, only 4 players bothered to get anywhere near their box. Have a bit of ****ing bottle lads, we need desperately need an equaliser, it's no good all sitting back in case they score. A 2-1 loss might as well have been a 3-1 loss.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

sendô wrote:A largely gutless performance summed up when with about 15 minutes to go and we were on the attack chasing an equaliser, only 4 players bothered to get anywhere near their box. Have a bit of f***ing bottle lads, we need desperately need an equaliser, it's no good all sitting back in case they score. A 2-1 loss might as well have been a 3-1 loss.

Not sure gutless is the right word, I thought we dug in pretty well after a terrible start. I was expecting a 5-0 or 6-0 loss after 20minutes. Its hard though when you look at their world-class midfield 5 compared with our pretty sub-standard 4.

I agree with the 2nd part though, I thought we should have flung DaCosta up front and gone for it.