Man City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (01/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Re: Man City vs West Ham

Post by chalks »

bubbles1966 wrote: Lescott is a definite weak link for them.

But we have got Carlton Cole..............
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Re: Man City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by nickkarkie »

Cole was pretty poor yesterday, constantly pushed off the ball by Luiz, I still prefer him to Piquionne because piq has been showing absolutely no effort in the last few months.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

simon hammer wrote:We're gonna get tonked.

Man City 5 - 1 West Ham.
I wasn't going to make a contribution to this thread so soon but I think you're being too pessimistic. We're not regularly destroying teams at home. We like to play - but there's still an emphasis on not losing. Wigan, Blackpool and Wolves both left with a one goal deficit defeat, Blackburn and Birmingham both grabbed a draw with only Sunderland and Villa getting well beaten. Mancini admitted in an interview that the comprehensive scoreline against Sunderland (5-0) was a surprise and the Villa team that lost 4-0 were the worst Villa side I've ever seen.

3-0 flattered Chelsea yesterday. I fancied a late equaliser for West Ham before Torres finally made a repayment on his fee. If you play like that then we'll have to be on guard to win the match.

We're televised at Ewood Park tomorrow night if you want to have a look at your opponents! We'll win that one.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Sensible post there Jim - Mancini knows leagues are about acculumulating points .Redknapp , with his champagne football , loses the plot in that respect .I think Mancini knows he has to get City in the CL to retain his job , whereas Redknapp possibly feels he is safe for a year or two on the back of this years efforts .

Having said that , the 2 players who have impressed me most from visiting clubs this season have been YaYa Toure and Silva .

Silva , with his movement was worth the price of admission alone .

I'd take 0-0 right now .
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

simon hammer wrote:We're gonna get tonked.

Man City 5 - 1 West Ham.
btajim - mcfc wrote:I wasn't going to make a contribution to this thread so soon but I think you're being too pessimistic. We're not regularly destroying teams at home. We like to play - but there's still an emphasis on not losing. Wigan, Blackpool and Wolves both left with a one goal deficit defeat, Blackburn and Birmingham both grabbed a draw with only Sunderland and Villa getting well beaten. Mancini admitted in an interview that the comprehensive scoreline against Sunderland (5-0) was a surprise and the Villa team that lost 4-0 were the worst Villa side I've ever seen.

3-0 flattered Chelsea yesterday. I fancied a late equaliser for West Ham before Torres finally made a repayment on his fee. If you play like that then we'll have to be on guard to win the match.

We're televised at Ewood Park tomorrow night if you want to have a look at your opponents! We'll win that one.
You haven't played us at your gaff yet!

:wink:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

the pink palermo wrote:Sensible post there Jim - Mancini knows leagues are about acculumulating points .Redknapp , with his champagne football , loses the plot in that respect .I think Mancini knows he has to get City in the CL to retain his job , whereas Redknapp possibly feels he is safe for a year or two on the back of this years efforts .

Having said that , the 2 players who have impressed me most from visiting clubs this season have been YaYa Toure and Silva .

Silva , with his movement was worth the price of admission alone .

I'd take 0-0 right now .
I fully understand and appreciate exactly what Mancini is trying to do at City - but the manner of overtly defensive 0-0 draws at Tottenham and Arsenal this season doesn't rub well with me. I want to see City have a go at teams. Our opponents were hitting the woodwork and we were the worse side for the draw on both occasions. The luck ran out at Chelsea. I don't like sides who come to City and park the team bus in front of the goal but, at the end of the day, we've earned points at grounds where we usually leave with bugger all. It's a results game. I agree that Mancini has to secure Top 4 to save his job. Lifting the FA Cup might not be enough because our Owners want success. Instinct says he'll do it as we've been up there all season. Top 4 & FA Cup winners. That'll do for me!

West Ham Away was one of Yaya's better games. He loves getting forwards with the ball and having a go but, until his FA Cup Semi Final winner, he wasn't doing it against the big sides. He's my hero now! Both he and Silva had been on our radar for a while so it was relief to land both of them before the season started. Silva scored an absolute belter at Blackpool this season and his passing is brilliant. He's been used as the link between midfield and attack. Fans player of the season in many ways.

There's lots of doom and gloom on here with predictions of West Ham's relegation but there's still time. It's so tight down at the foot at the table that it might not be decided until the last day. Blackburn and Sunderland are yet to come to Upton Park. One have nothing to play for and the other are a very poor side. Blackpool might not pick up many more points, either. Best of luck!
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Home win at a canter, 3-0 in under 20 minutes and then exhibition football for the last 70 while Upson spends the afternoon trying to catch his shadow.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

kitthehammer wrote:Why is everyone picking sears?
The guy is a striker who cant score goals. He is lightweight, gets knocked off the ball, falls over and his passing is generally dire.
Assuming Bridge is not available and Noble injured
:lol: Yeh, that was the general consensus about two seasons ago, since then he's come on a bundle. Ever since he came back from Coventry he's been one of our best attacking performers which includes the likes of Cole, Ba, Keane and Obinna. Avram played him on the right pre-season, he went and played on the right at Coventry and he plays on the right now, he has shone in the position and may even turn out to be a right winger. Since he's come back he's scored 2 goals in 8 starts and contributed many, many chances, winning MOTM in most games he's played! He was unlucky not the get a goal and possibly and assist yesterday. I remember the days when he first broke through, he was very weak and most supporters were insisting he'd get down the gym. He must have been to the gym because at times yesterday he made Ashley Cole look like a schoolboy. For me, he must start all of our final 4 games.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Da Costa is a ****ing Car Crash of A Defender and should be nowhere near the first team. Tomkins / Gabbidon for the last four games and we might have a chance. Really can't understand old Avram on this one.
KierZ
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by KierZ »

there seems to be mixed reviews to da costa at defense. some people think he should be above tompkins others say he should never touch the team.

hopefully with tevez out and parker back it can give us a psychological lift.
i ffel if we play like we did at chelscum we can steal a draw/1 goal lead

keeping the faith (blame the drink)
:crest:
Upton Larks

Post by Upton Larks »

We'll lose this 2-0 and still stay up.

We'll be 2 down before the break, Upson will go off injured at half time having been run ragged and the team will rally for a decent 2nd half display whilst City take it easy.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Making a weekend of this one, staying at a City ST holding mates' house. I'll be drinking in a City pub near the ground both before/after the game too. I've had to endure some stick the last couple of visits and I'm expecting more of the same next weekend but wouldn't it be nice to turn them over?.

Going on yesterdays performance, I'd go with;

----------------Green
Jacs--Tomkins--Gabbs--Upson
-----Specs--Parker--Hitz
-----Sears--Cole--Ba

Piq and/or Keane to come on at 60 mins depending on how we're doing.

Both Specs & Sears can cover for the less pacey Jacs on the right flank and I think Parker being back will give Hitz a bit of confidence. Upson needs to step up to the plate for this one and give a true Captains performance for a change.

If we can hold them off for the first 30 mins, we might get something out of it
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:Parker will play apparently.

Tomkins also had a very good game against Balotelli at UP.

Lescott is a definite weak link for them.

Have to say that Kompany has been massively impressive every time I see him.
Its funny really, as much as I agree; Lescott the weak link but 'priced' at £20M plus! I hear that Kolarov (Bridge's upgrade) causes the odd grumble amongst their fans for poor tracking back etc. And, as suggested above, the crowd sometimes reacts badly to a rather safety first policy the manager has (3 fairly defence minded midfielders). Richards has his good and not quite as good games; we'll have to hope that he has an off day

Tomkins does seem to raise his game against the top clubs, but Balotelli's class means he takes most chances he gets. Silva's my main worry; similar to Modric in terms of his ball retention and attacking thrust. We can't also forget that Hart is a generally capaable and trustworthy keeper. Kompany and De Jong never fail to put in a shift.

We simply need to stop the rot. Whether we can will depend on what City team turns up next weekend.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

GideaParkHammer wrote:At the moment I can not see us getting anything from City no matter what team we field. To me the following are more important than formations:

Blackburn Rovers v Bolton Wanderers
Blackpool v Stoke City
Wigan Athletic v Everton
Birmingham City v Wolverhampton Wanderers

If results from these games go against us, we will have little to play for in the last 3 games.
100% agree with this post

I will chuck in tomorrows game Blackburn v city I fancy City to get a win, then from your games I can see the first game a draw Stoke winning Everton winning and brum winning if that happens we will still be in touching distance.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

If Blackburn, Wigan, Wolves, and Blackpool lose/draw, we remain in touching distance, and I believe with a reasonably full squad we will stay up.

Sunderland are assured of safety after yesterday, and the games against Wigan and Blackburn mean that it is within our own hands.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hopefully they won't play Parker unless he's 100%.

I know when you only have 4 games left every one of them is "must-win", but some are more "must-win" than others - specifically, our games against Rovers and Wigan not only boost us if we win but also severely damage their survival, which isn't the case with the Man City or Sunderland games. I'd much rather have Scott Parker at full fitness for the final 3 than risk aggravating an injury in a game we'll be lucky to win even if he's on the park
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Anyone seen this with regards to the opposition's view? http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewt ... 1&t=217002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It appears there is a genuine affinity there and that win, lose or draw, next week has the potential to be rather unique for this era. If the majority of fans on both side truly feel there is a bond, it will be a shame if dull chants about blah blah being a ****hole and Man City having more fans now that they are challenging at the top (hardly a surprise) prevent a bit of a love-in in my opinion. Am I just being soft?
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

Roaring Repka wrote:Anyone seen this with regards to the opposition's view? http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewt ... 1&t=217002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It appears there is a genuine affinity there and that win, lose or draw, next week has the potential to be rather unique for this era. If the majority of fans on both side truly feel there is a bond, it will be a shame if dull chants about blah blah being a ****hole and Man City having more fans now that they are challenging at the top (hardly a surprise) prevent a bit of a love-in in my opinion. Am I just being soft?
Yes :lol:

No, I know what you mean. I've never had any problem at City and since moving up north and have gotten to know a fair few. They do tend to support us in my local when we're on the box, and did so even before they found out I was WH.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Roaring Repka wrote:Anyone seen this with regards to the opposition's view? http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewt ... 1&t=217002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It appears there is a genuine affinity there and that win, lose or draw, next week has the potential to be rather unique for this era. If the majority of fans on both side truly feel there is a bond, it will be a shame if dull chants about blah blah being a ****hole and Man City having more fans now that they are challenging at the top (hardly a surprise) prevent a bit of a love-in in my opinion. Am I just being soft?
Bloody hell, someone likes us :lol:
Never had a problem with city, it's only a matter of time before their support becomes more home counties than mancunion though. That's when the hating can truly begin.
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Always liked City, probably ny second team.