Man City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (01/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Re: Man City vs West Ham

Post by ottsands »

We are going to get absolutely smashed . . . . . any positivity we take from the Chelsea game, which is only visible through claret & blue tinted glasses anyway, will be totally wiped away and we'll be sh*t scared for the last three games, our confidence totally shot.

The sooner we get rid of this useless manager and 80% of the players, the better we'll be.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

Re: Man City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

If Parker is fit I'd go with

-------------Green
Jac-Tomkins-Upson-Bridge
------Spector---Parker
----------------Hitz
---Sears-------------Ba
-------------Keane

With both Spector and Parker helping out the fullbacks. Hitz drifting around the middle picking a pass and shooting when he has the chance.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

ottsands wrote:any positivity we take from the Chelsea game, which is only visible through claret & blue tinted glasses anyway
What about the journos, pundits and neutrals who all thought we didn't deserve to lose?
Besides, how can our confidence be 'wiped away' exactly? Normally, this season we've thrived off good performances - Coming back at WBA yeilded 3 straight wins scoring 11 goals. Our first point we gained this season was followed up with wins away at Sunderland and at home to Spurs. Our second home PL win was followed by the 4-0 trouncing of Man U, which was subsequently followed by our great xmas form.

The second half drubbing from Man Utd 3 weeks ago shot our confidence. We then started poorly at Bolton and could never get back into the game and even though we had a great start against Villa, we never got going. Seems to me that the players took that result as a kick up the a*se and they put in a fighting performance against Chelsea. I believe we are back to our best and the confidence will build from each result. Even if we do get beat at Man City, we certainly wont be pushed over, the players will probably be looking towards the last three anyway.
Mark32

Post by Mark32 »

I have a feeling Avram Grant won't risk Parker against Man City judging from the quotes in this article:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 81,00.html

I would presume that would mean either Collison or Kovac will come into the team for Noble, maybe even Boa Morte. Upson will probably be the only other change from the team against Chelsea.

If the players can take heart from the chances we missed against Chelsea we stand a good chance of grabbing a draw which is always a bonus.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Mark32 wrote:I have a feeling Avram Grant won't risk Parker against Man City judging from the quotes in this article:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 81,00.html

I would presume that would mean either Collison or Kovac will come into the team for Noble, maybe even Boa Morte. Upson will probably be the only other change from the team against Chelsea.
You're right, doesn't sound like he will be risked but i dont expect Collison to come back in so soon and i dont even think Avram has the nerve to play Kovac. I can see a 4-2-3-1 formation happening (if we're brave), sort of how we finished against Chelsea -

Jacobsen-----Tomkins-----Upson-----Gabbs

-------------------Spector--------Hitz----------------
Sears---------------------Keane----------------Ba

-------------------------------Cole---------------------

Seemed to work against Chelsea but i dont know how effective it'll be for 90 minutes. Might be safer to use LBM for Ba and put Ba in Keanes position. We shouldn't fill the midfield with defensive players and hope for the clean sheet, the Chelsea game was proof that we can attack the top sides and it'll work if we bury our chances.
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Green
Jacobsen tomkins upson bridge
Sears Spector hitz lbm
Cole ba

I do not want to see Ba on the left ffs!!!!
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Muddy wrote:We're going to get battered.
By 3 or more..
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

one of the best sides at the boleyn this season hate to say it but to good for us we,ve got to keep the goals against to a minimum goal diff could be crucial. i think we are well capable of beating wigan, blackburn will be fighting for their lives like us that one is for me the banana skin i can see us dropping points on we should win it but remember we are west ham.sunderland is a maybe too depends if they are still up for it or already on their hols
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Essex 'Ammer12 wrote:Green
Jacobsen tomkins upson bridge
Sears Spector hitz lbm
Cole ba

I do not want to see Ba on the left ffs!!!!
I was one calling for 4-4-2 against Villa, everyone was, it was the most obvious choice to deal with Villa's wingers and cover the loss of Parker. Avram played 4-4-2 and it failed, badly. Noble and Hitz played woefully and the game was lost in midfield. We revert back to 4-5-1/4-3-3 on Saturday and we start playing again, Specs, Noble and Hitz competed with Essien, Mikel and Lampard and we were great on the counter. I think it's worth sticking with the formation.

I dont like seeing Grant put strikers on the wing, but i think Ba played well there on Saturday. Up against Ivanovic, not the weakest of fullbacks and he got himself into numerous scoring positions. Lacking abit defensivley, but so is Obinna, so is Sears.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
By 3 or more..
They'll have 3 in the first half an hour.
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

It's not looking good for this one...

No Parker, Noble or Bridge. Hmm.

Green

Jacobsen
Gabbidon
Upson
Tomkins

Sears
Hitzelsperger
Spector
Collison
LBM

Ba

No point having Cole, as he isn't holding the ball up like he can, so what's the points.
4-5-1 with Sears and Collison looking to support the striker whenever possible.
Hitz to sit infront of the defence.
Hopefully Avram will work out a way to score a goal and keep a clean sheet. Tactics, anyone?
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

This is going to be the most important set of games for the whole season. I'm thinking Blackpool and Wigan will go down because of the teams they still have to play. Wolves, who also have a game in hand, will get about eight or ten points from their games as will Blackburn. If WH can win this, it'll give them a lift to possibly pull off another "Great Escape", otherwise a loss will dent their confidence even more and a draw isn't going to be of too much use. 8-)
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Gravedigger wrote:This is going to be the most important set of games for the whole season. I'm thinking Blackpool and Wigan will go down because of the teams they still have to play. Wolves, who also have a game in hand, will get about eight or ten points from their games as will Blackburn. If WH can win this, it'll give them a lift to possibly pull off another "Great Escape", otherwise a loss will dent their confidence even more and a draw isn't going to be of too much use. 8-)
A draw would be a great Point..

Wolves & Blackbburn simply will not get 8-10 Points each either..
Samassi Abou
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samassi Abou »

We need to stop this 433 bollox and get back to 442.

Green

Jac Tomkins Upson Gabbidon

Sears Hitz Noble LBM/Collison

Ba Keane
matty.h

Post by matty.h »

6 nil
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing

Post by ottsands »

COME ON WEST HAM!
mascherano

Post by mascherano »

i can't see us getting anything from this game but i'd go for

-----------------------------------------Ba---------------Keane-------------------------------------------

LBM----------------------Spector------------------Hitzleperger--------------Sears

Gabbidon--------------Tomkins-------------------Da Costa----------Jacobson

--------------------------------------------Green-------------------------------------------
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

a little sidebar story on Mowgli the manchild,
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli is evidently having as much trouble parking his car as he has putting on a bib, as it has been revealed that his luxury Maserati has been impounded 27 times since his arrival in England.
A report in the Sun has claimed that Balotelli has racked up nearly £10,000 in fines, with an average of three parking tickets per day arriving due to his lack of parking nous.
A source at the club told the paper: "Mario will drive from his luxury apartment to a restaurant a few streets away and leave the car on double yellows. The other week the Maserati misfired so he just abandoned it. Staff have had to bail it out 27 times.
"The valet the club uses empties the glove box of tickets every time he cleans it. Mario doesn't seem to care. It's a drop in the ocean to him.
"Mario was pulled over by the police and he had £25,000 cash on the passenger seat. They asked him why and he said, 'Because I can'. He doesn't care much for authority."
KierZ
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by KierZ »

matty.h wrote:6 nil
i dont think hart will concede more than 5 :wink:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

prophet:marginal wrote:Its funny really, as much as I agree; Lescott the weak link but 'priced' at £20M plus! I hear that Kolarov (Bridge's upgrade) causes the odd grumble amongst their fans for poor tracking back etc. And, as suggested above, the crowd sometimes reacts badly to a rather safety first policy the manager has (3 fairly defence minded midfielders). Richards has his good and not quite as good games; we'll have to hope that he has an off day
Many left backs are either good at going forwards and not so good at defending (or vice versa) and this is indeed a regular criticism aimed at Kolarov. He'll almost definitely start because of a shortage of versatile defenders. Kolo Toure is still suspended, Boateng is injured and so is another player you mention. Richards is out with a hamstring and I don't think he'll be ready for Sunday.

I must again stress to the "we're doomed" KUMBers that City are still very much work in progress. Admittedly, we're picking up results despite not playing as well as we can - but sides aren't being consistently steamrolled. Wigan put up one hell of a fight when we beat them 1-0 and, come this time of the season, anything can happen.