West Ham Utd 1 Blackburn Rovers 1 (07/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: West Ham United v Blackburn: Match Thread

Post by Belgian Iron »

Essex 'Ammer12 wrote:I think at the end of the game we were playing with this formation:

Green
Spector da costa gabbidon bridge
Piq Hitz. Collison. Ba
Keane Cole

tactics? What f***ing tactics :lol: ?
You think so? I don't think you can put the "formation" on paper really.....At one time Piq was playing on the right of midfield, only a few moments later he was picking up the ball in our own half as a defensive mid and suddenly he was popping up on the left corner flag to cross the ball for Keane's chance. I know Barcelona play without a real pattern as well, but I don't think we should try and copy that?!
Midfield Dynamo

Post by Midfield Dynamo »

MadMart wrote:We just weren't good enough on any level to beat a poor Blackburn team - nuff said...
You get what you deserve in life, and we deserve to be relegated...
Thanks to Curbs, The Daves, Grant et al for f***ing it right up...
MM
Are you joking ? We would be mid table if we still had curbs , I didn't want him to go at the time I wish we still had him tbf.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

At the end of the day, if playing 4-1-5 was the best way to steal a win, it would also be the best way to win from kick-off. And nobody starts with 4-1-5. It's one of the least effective tactical strategies I've ever seen, and he doesn't seem to be learning his lesson.

Does not bode well.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Belgian Iron wrote:
tactics? What f***ing tactics :lol: ?
You think so? I don't think you can put the "formation" on paper really.....At one time Piq was playing on the right of midfield, only a few moments later he was picking up the ball in our own half as a defensive mid and suddenly he was popping up on the left corner flag to cross the ball for Keane's chance. I know Barcelona play without a real pattern as well, but I don't think we should try and copy that?![/quote]

Why not ? Swansea have modelled themselves on it and actually it is fairly basic stuff really. All it is is having 10 outfield players who are all two footed and comfortable on the ball and can pass it 10 yards. Yes, you read that correctly, 10 yards. Look again the next time you watch Barca play and you will notice that no Barca player ever passes the ball more than 10 yards. That way, when they lose possession, thay only have to make up 10 yards to get it back
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Samba's performance for Blackburn yesterday was exactly the sort of defensive commitment we've been lacking ever since we sold Collins.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Why not ? Swansea have modelled themselves on it and actually it is fairly basic stuff really. All it is is having 10 outfield players who are all two footed and comfortable on the ball and can pass it 10 yards. Yes, you read that correctly, 10 yards. Look again the next time you watch Barca play and you will notice that no Barca player ever passes the ball more than 10 yards. That way, when they lose possession, thay only have to make up 10 yards to get it back
Yeah, but what has any of that got to do with the tactics deployed by Grant yesterday?

Do you actually think that's what he was thinking yesterday?!? "10 yards, 10 yards, 10 yards"

Two footed and comfortable on the ball = Put Demba Ba on the wing.

Righty ho.
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

Devils Advocate wrote:Samba's performance for Blackburn yesterday was exactly the sort of defensive commitment we've been lacking ever since we sold Collins.
Why is it that Collins is seen by alot of our fans as a footballing saviour? He was injured most of his career with us. FACT. The only time he stood out was during the great escape run in, and even then, everyone upped their game.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Devils Advocate wrote:Samba's performance for Blackburn yesterday was exactly the sort of defensive commitment we've been lacking ever since we sold Collins.
not sure about Collins, but your point about a decent thug of a centre back is correct. Da Costa is the only one who comes close to dominating and he just hasn't got the positional intelligence to command a back four. UPson wasn't strong enough mentally or physically either. I think that has to be our top transfer priority for next season. Especially in the championship, teams will murder us.
All season long you have seen crap attacking sides looking at our defence and thinking 'I fancy this today' and we've done nothing about it. That is why we are going down. Simples.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BromleyHammer wrote:Why is it that Collins is seen by alot of our fans as a footballing saviour? He was injured most of his career with us. FACT. The only time he stood out was during the great escape run in, and even then, everyone upped their game.
Aston Villa and West Ham have kept the same number of league clean sheets this season.

Two
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

prophet:marginal wrote: Aston Villa and West Ham have kept the same number of league clean sheets this season.

Two
We have conceded less than blackburn but I would still take samba over upson
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

The Gibbins wrote:
Agreed, he was an absolute monster at the back. Won everything in the air and made some great blocks...

He is a top defender for sure but we really played to his strengths.
Samba isn't a top defender. We made him look a top defender. Ashton used to torment him as does any half decent striker. He turns like an oil tanker and looks like he's on the travellator when he runs. However, if you're playing against a team who just pump the ball long, then yes he is a top defender.

Also, I really can't understand how some of you think LBM was man of the match considering he was at fault for their goal with his usual lack of footballing ability on the halfway line.

I've had enough of that useless ****. He runs around and kicks people so some fans seem to like him. Spector was man of the match for me.
Last edited by Billydinho on Sun May 08, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Puff Daddy wrote: Why not ? Swansea have modelled themselves on it and actually it is fairly basic stuff really. All it is is having 10 outfield players who are all two footed and comfortable on the ball and can pass it 10 yards. Yes, you read that correctly, 10 yards. Look again the next time you watch Barca play and you will notice that no Barca player ever passes the ball more than 10 yards. That way, when they lose possession, thay only have to make up 10 yards to get it back
You are giving an answer to your own question. The reason why we should not try & copy Barcelona's tactics is because we don't have A) 10 players who are two footed B) 10 players who can pass the ball 10 yards!

Endless punts up forward from the likes of Da Costa because there were no options available to pass a ball to. Long balls when a machine like Samba is in the other side, GREAT!
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

For the record, I'm not saying that Collins is/was a great player, just pointing out that Samba's performance that contributed greatly to Blackburn earning a point yesterday was the type of performance that would likely have earned us a few extra points and kept us up, and is the type of performance that Collins would have given us. The sort of fully committed, throw your body in the way of everything type of defender, which we've lacked for the last 2 seasons.

As has been said, Da Costa is the closest, but seems to switch off too often and lose his man (ball-watching?). Upson has had his mind elsewhere all season. Tomkins is promising but a long way from the finished article. Reid?????
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Don't really understand how Spector could possibly get man of the match, Samba might be a good defender but he gets there by cheating; there were lots of times where he kicks a player or pulls him down subtly
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Boa Morte MOM??? funniest thing i've heard all day, he had to come off before he was sent off, everything i hate about a football, kicking and trying to scrap with a player because he is better than you.

As for Cole he has to be one of the most clueless footballers i have ever seen. If he had a brain he would be dangerous his body language is disgraceful and It was his lack of ball control and hold up play that led to their goal. He doesn't know how to run a channel, hold the ball up, open his body and turn a player. He constantly turns into the defenders strong side instead of using his body weight to protect the ball, he isn't left footed, it's his weaker side!! does one of our coaches not turn round and say this to him! Also tried his best to give them a chance when he squared a lay off to their player on the halfway line. Sick of hearing people defending him and saying that he contributes, he doesn't chase down anything, nevermind break sprint. work rate is non existent.

When we go down i'll be pleased to see the back of him, i personally don't think much of BA either, another player who doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets it, wild shots and poor passing. Rather have Piq up their, i don't know what his done wrong, he has better control, stronger in the air and can finish. he actually has a football brain.
I'd also like to see coaching staff with an idea on how to play the game, some fresh faces getting rid of groves, keen, downes and grant.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Piq looked the better of the 3 at times yesterday. Which is probably encouraging because I reckon he's the one we're most likely to keep hold of.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Oh no :shock: ,we cant get rid of Kevin Keen hes west ham through and through blah blah blah .
and nicking a nice few quid for doing **** all
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

After 32 minutes, a Blackburn player went down injured. Every West Ham player apart from Green ran to the touchline to take water on board. 5ft away stood AG saying nothing .....

A microcosm of our season and the disaster that is Grant .....

Players arent fit enough and Grant is a rabbit starring into headlights ..... he just doesnt have a clue.

You can throw on all the forwards you like but without supply its fruitless.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Belgian Iron wrote:Mix of a a lot of players.
Yet the only one you didn't mention was the one culpable for losing his man, leaving Da Costa to mark two. Step forward, Mr Danny Gabbidon.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Billydinho wrote:He runs around and kicks people so some fans seem to like him.
Sounds like Julian Dicks. Not a fan of his either then, Bill?