West Ham Utd 1 Blackburn Rovers 1 (07/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Lord Snuffsbury

Re: West Ham United v Blackburn: Match Thread

Post by Lord Snuffsbury »

I'll be surprised if we coast it like many are predicting. I think we'll win though, 2 - 1 West Ham.

Keane, Upson, Gabbidon and Sears or LBM out, Parker, Bridge and Piq/Cole in. :thup:
bobo

Post by bobo »

If anyone has any spare tickets they wana sell for this 1 cud u pm me please. :thup:
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

the pink palermo wrote:The most obvious , nailed on 3 points of the season .

I know this because I am at a wedding and am missing the game .

Particualrly galling as I expect the marriage to last as long as Grant .
This is West Ham, Pinky - Nothing is EVER nailed on!
m-h

Post by m-h »

Three more years. :lol:

Hope there's a pre nup........with rider clauses deemed incorporated. Smileyheadbangerthingywatchamacallit.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Its very difficult to predict what side he will put out.

Keane should play in my opinion as should Spector.
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

If we dont win this then id say weve had it, got to be all out attack for this, Blackburn will come to us looking for the draw, so we need to come out in the first few minutes all guns blazing, question is though we havent done that in a while, oh well ill be there in the STBL :|
bobo

Post by bobo »

bobo wrote:If anyone has any spare tickets they wana sell for this 1 cud u pm me please.

Scrap that, just purchased two online! :thup:
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Proud of the last two performances, two of the best i've seen against top four sides in a while. In the end, money has won those games but i hope to see the same spirit and effort in the last 3. If we show it, i'm sure we'll stay up. I've said for a while that if we put the effort in, our quality will show and that it has. On paper, we have much more quality than Blackburn, Wigan and a weak Sunderland and on the pitch it shouldn't be any different if we bother turning up. Even Avram has got it spot on in the last two games so now is the time for everyone to get their work right, from Demba's shooting to who Avram puts at CB.

Going from the last two games, the team picks itself really -

..............................Green...........................

Jacobsen.....Tomkins.......Gabbidon.....Bridge

...........Spector........Parker.........Hitz............

Sears.......................Cole....................Demba

Subs: Boffin, Da Costa, Reid, Boa, Obinna, Keane, Piq

Like many of us, i never want to see Upson turn out in West Ham shirt again. Tomkins and Gabbs have been much more assured in defence than Da Costa who's been decent but shaky. Boa would be unlucky to drop out but Hitz gets my nod through his much more superior passing ability. Hitz had to play the Parker role against City, which piled the work load on and being out for so long is clearly catching up on him. But being back on the left side, he should feel alot more at home. Cole gets in ahead of Keane for me, we majorly lacked a target man against City, no one to hold the ball up and let Ba and Sears feed off. Keane worked very hard but he's been missing far too many chances lately that maybe even Carlton would bury.

COYI!!!
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

5-1

we're going to bitch slap someone soon. Just a matter of time before we start putting chances away like we did vs wba, liverpool, stoke.

Ba 2
Keane 2
Sears 1

Some twat 1 for them
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:I'd play Cole ahead of Keane TBH - but I really don't see us losing.

A draw will be ok....so long as we beat Wigan a week later.

A loss would be the most astonishing result of the season.
I'd play Cole from the start too; Keane's bottled two very presentable chances recently and Cole - despite issues with confidence - wants to play for this club and succeed for us. We also need as much height and presence against their defence as we can muster.

A draw won't be ok, sorry. We need to get three points on the board, no excuses.

Nothing about West Ham losing can be described as 'astonishing'.

I'd love Grant to grow some and bench Upson. Bridge in for Gabbidon. Parker needs to be 101% fit to start but I can't make up my mind about 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. Only Sears seems to know what he's doing in that set up. Ba not very effective on the left,
dimagician10

Post by dimagician10 »

I'm expecting that Blackburn will be all about the hoof forward and battling for the 2nd ball, pressing high up the pitch. I watched their game with a weakened Bolton side. They gave Bolton acres of space in the midfield to be exploited. Robbie Keane could be of good value as i'd expect him to find space. He will need to bring his shooting boots this week.

With Upson probably out, DaCosta, Gabbs or Tomks?

We're all counting on Parker being fit. Hitz beside him. Specs or LBM. Or even Obinna in a 4-4-2?

Sears has impressed me out on the right. He shows energy and a good turn of pace. He should give Olsson plenty to think about to track back for.

Up front it's got to be Ba and...??? If we're looking to match them rather than outguile them then Cole is a must upfront. He'd hopefully keep Samba in check. Keane and Ba would find lots of space in front of their back 4 however there isn't a central focus as Ba hasn't been used as a 'back to goal' hold up player. This is where 4-3-3 is so flexible when there are three forward players with different qualities who interchange. It can only work if the back 6 or 7 players are competent as a defensive unit.

Ba - Cole - Piq battered Stoke in a 4-3-3 that worked well this season. Parker, Noble & Hitz ran the midfield and the defence were awesome. No Noble this time but if we went 4-3-3 Specs could slot in there.

It'll be an interesting team selection & formation.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Thsi isn't actually a " must win " Game..

It is definately a " must not lose " Game however..

If we draw it, we have to win at Wigan & beat Sunderland..

If we win it, we STILL HAVE TO WIN AT WIGAN in order to stay up, if we do bboth of those then we'd be able to draw with Sunderland & still stay up...

Winnins all 3 should be the plan however & it's definately possible.. :thup:
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

prophet:marginal wrote:Ba not very effective on the left,
We've had no credible wide threat all season, one of our major failings.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Agreed 100%
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Why do I get the feeling Avram will give Winston and Pablo a run out for this one...... :lol:
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Fucksake, I'm nervous about this one already. I gotta stop reading this 'board, it's not good for your health. This week is gonna drag by.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

QuintonNimoy wrote: We've had no credible wide threat all season, one of our major failings.
To think Faubert once filled that role quite well.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

This is a must win game, do not be fooled by the league table.
It's about the heads, and if we cannot win here we can forget about the last two.

We need to win because we need points, we need momentum, we need to put some pressure on the other teams.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Despite missing two sitters in as many weeks, I think it might be worth sticking with Keane. The team has actually looked decent enough the past two games, away to teams in CL spots, so you'd like to think the Baron would give them a chance against weaker opponents - but that would of course fly in the face of his draw-a-name-out-of-a-hat striker selection policy.

I just don't think Barlton would get much change out of Blackburn's bruisers like Samba and Jones especially if they decide to park the bus after winning this weekend. Their only real goal-scoring threat comes from headers from set pieces, so Piq or DaCosta might get a look in to try and interfere with the delivery from corners.

Let's see if the Baron has the cajones to leave Captain Average on the bench regardless of fitness. If his poor form isn't enough to convince him, hopefully the number of games he's ended up coming off early during the back half of the season might make him think it's not worth the potential disruption of a mid-game reshuffle.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

With TG and meself not being able to attend this match either, it makes it a definite win.

Shall I start the Wigan match thread now :D