West Ham Utd 1 Blackburn Rovers 1 (07/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer2192

Re: West Ham United v Blackburn: Match Thread

Post by hammer2192 »

All this draw has done is made the inevitable go on for another week. What a horrible season :(
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

smuts wrote:To be fair, it isn't through lack of trying of Boa Morte....I get the feeling that he is as frustrated as we are that he seems to have lost any skill he had when it comes to an attacking threat.

What really f***ing annoys me is against Blackburn at home last year, Samba won everything in the air....and I mean EVERYTHING.............yet all we tried today was the hoof up to Cole who was beaten probably 95% of the time.
Samba will do that to anyone except maybe Kevin Davies or Drogba, Cole is not a target man in that sense and is better with the ball to his feet.

Of course everyone except Grant knows that. Headbanger
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

after a bit of time to reflect i think grant was unfortunate today. he tried to take advantage of some sunday league football tactics from blackburn. its always hard to beat a team that puts 11 men behind a ball from the first half. its not grants fault that the players don't take chances. we probably are going down and grant shouldn't be our manager but lets jus get behind the team for the last two games and try motivate the players as much as we can because if they are going to get out of this most probable relagation then their not going to do it with the fans and the board on their backs.
Lord Snuffsbury

Post by Lord Snuffsbury »

Is the Wigan game on the telly?
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by D C »

Why stick Ba and Piq out on the wings every game is my question. I bet both would be better hold up men than Barlton. Barlton needs 442 to look anywhere near affective. His hold up play is not good yet Avram sticks with him? DJ Campbell shows more strength on the ball and hold up play than Barlton.
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Watching them blocks from Samba at the end shows how a commanding leader (captain) should defend.He puts Upson to shame he is ten times as good as our captain.
njewhu

Post by njewhu »

Samba was man of the match...
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

njewhu wrote:Samba was man of the match...
Agreed, he was an absolute monster at the back. Won everything in the air and made some great blocks...

He is a top defender for sure but we really played to his strengths.

Im just glad we at least got a point so it gives us something to hang on to. I was really worried when they went 1-0 up as they stuck 11 men behind the ball and i thought we would struggle to break them down. It took a great strike from Hitz to get something from this.

Wigan is massive now...we have made this season difficult for ourselves. All we can do now is try to win the next two and hope results go our own way. :|
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

I sat in the penthouse box today, had to behave as I was 2 seats away for Sir Trevor Brooking and 4 seats from Karen Brady, and near loads of others,
I could have ****ing cried after Keane missed the sitter, hes ****ing **** send him back Headbanger
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Samba was outstanding, we had the chances to win, but Keane simply isn't good enough
We were'nt good enough, I felt that we only started playing decent football in the last 20 when Piq came on, the midfield was far from the standard we needed too
Last 2 games MUST WIN, we absolutely needed 3 points today, but we're gonna have to take a point

Come on lads, beat Wigan and Sunderland! :crest:
doctorbob

Post by doctorbob »

the pink palermo wrote:I am away and have not seen the game . However we got a point and it ain't over yet .

COYI
That large lady is clearing her throat though!

We could be down before we play Wigan now!! :(
DDRS

Post by DDRS »

Just got back to rainy Llantrisant after the game, a car full of deflated welsh hammers... You know when you have a relative and they are suffering with a serious illness and they eventually pass away- you almost feel glad that they are finally at peace but still sad at your loss... well that's how I feel about West Ham United under Avram's control... finally our misery is over, we are down & two wins won't matter (we won't get two wins) but I'm happy because Avram will be gone & we can start a fresh...

It's been a painful year all in all, I think we all knew from the first game of the season, a 3-0 loss that this was going to be a struggle... Long ball has never been our way, it's sad that we have resorted to that so much in recent times... every throw went long into the box, Da Costa slung balls wide over to the flanks, Gabby lobbed them toward Cole/Ba... Hitz rarely tried to slip players into their feet but 'dink' the ball over instead... B'burns defence gobbled that up all afternoon & we could honestly have created more chances than what we managed today... 58% posession but still missing that link between the midfield & the forwards (who were far too static).

It's funny because when I saw Gold's interview where the BBC chap was talking about 'blame' - Gold said he felt like he had brought enough players into the squad during the window and that we would stay up, he conceded that he was wrong... And he was wrong, Sullivan, Brady & Grant too... why?? Because we still have not replaced Yossi Benayoun & have no creative spark within our midfield, add to that a lack of true wingers and a sturdy defender & it is obvious to all of us where we have fallen this season...

Yes it is unfortunate that Barrera did not settle, same with Reid but then that is football (as Avram says)... many questions have been asked by us fans this year, whether its about the team, management, or Olympic Stadium move, there have been no real answers for me- nothing to fill us with confidence that the club are moving in the right direction...

I still had a great day out with friends old & new and I guess our West Ham family (the fans) is what we have left to hold on to... Looking forward to an exciting season next time around... as always, C O Y I !
doctorbob

Post by doctorbob »

Lord Snuffsbury wrote:Is the Wigan game on the telly?
Not on any UK stations, might find it on a foreign station?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Just got home. great game, and fantastic performance. We play like that for the rest of the season, we'll have no worries staying up.

COYI!!!!

:lol:
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

I nearly had heart failure when I read this.

Then I saw the smiley :lol:
Last edited by Essex 'Ammer12 on Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rode one wrong

Post by Rode one wrong »

You wouldn't have known that we were fighting to avoid relegation. For the first 80 minutes we were just going through the motions. It seems obvious that the players don't like the manager, or the owners or the club and can't wait to be off. And who can blame them? Have any of them developed this year?
BaggioBergkamp

Post by BaggioBergkamp »

i swear you guys watch a different game to me

we can agree lbm shouldnt have been taken off

put cole put in a lovely couple of crosses and set up the goal won a few knock downs against a commanding centre back

piq did well too when he came on

keane offered nothing

ba doest jump for headers but has a shot on him
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I was too depressed to read the in-match postings after the game, but I would agree in part with your point, Baggio.

Cole was instrumental in our equaliser and deserves some credit for his general play. Ba wasn't really as involved.

The goal we gave away was soft. If that hadn't have gone in and it'd just taken us as long as it did to score (and therefore take the lead), we'd all see it as a job done against a tricky opponent.

It was galling to watch Blackburn jog around after scoring, though; we didn't build up a head of steam fast enough.
roblo
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by roblo »

prophet:marginal wrote:Cole was instrumental in our equaliser and deserves some credit for his general play. Ba wasn't really as involved.

:thup: Spot on. There's about five rows of people behind me that got on Cole's back at every opportunity, despite putting in a much better performance that Ba. He looked like he didn't wanna be there.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Ba started getting into the game when he was put up front with Cole but was switched back out wide when Keane came on.