Wigan Athletic 3 West Ham Utd 2 (15/05/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Wigan Athletic v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Even today, despite everything, that Millwall banner makes me chuckle.

Playing them is worth combined home games against Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn & Birmingham.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

Just got in from the game.

We were lucky to be 2-0 at half time - they had 4 good chances in the first 5 minutes.

The midfielder had not played together before and were a group of strangers, not knowing their roles and position. A better team than Wigan would have really punished us.

Just amazing watching us trying to soak up any attack. Instead of the classic gameplan of 2 lines of 4 players our shape looked like a real mish-mash - as a result - we cannot defend a lead.

Rob Green was absolutely magnificent today - some great saves -and one of the few players shoing a hint of urgency.
Good to see young Collinson back - his energy and passion have been missed - but because the midfield didn't have much shape, didn't get full value of him going forward.

Hines has now had several games to impress - and he hasn't. I'll buy the train ticket for Norwich for him.
Piquionne was lacksidasical and should have scored when clear effort on goal was tamely shot - that would have put us 3-0 up.

Tompkins matured and shepherded his young full back well and was unlucky to be penalised for the free kick that led to their goal.
Gabbidon - also showed a gutsy performance.
Hitzelpserger was asked to play wide and he ain't a winger.

Ba could have done better with some of his second half efforts - will be a real tragedy to lose him by going down.

The manager must take the rap; we were shapeless for much of the first half but Wigan were so bad we got 2 goals from virtually 2 attacks.
Wigan change formation and bring on 2 forwards at half time - we do f*ck all - and the rest is history.

Only West Ham can twist the blade even more into you: you go thinking there is no way Birmingham are not going to get a point, they go behind, we go 2-0 and Mission Impossible is about to happen - only for Avram Grant tactical genius to cock it up.

The game summed up our season in one match.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

joyful wrote:UG was that you getting Parker's shirt?
No me darlin' - much as I wanted to get to this game I gave my tickets to more desperate, fellow mental supporters (ooh look who it is & Romford).
Kids sports fixtures and the need to 'pot on' my radishes, onions and carrots unfortunately prevented attendance.

Brighton next season...Fancy a 'Girls Only' weekend bender/social gathering? :raver:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

upton girlie wrote:Brighton next season...Fancy a 'Girls Only' weekend bender/social gathering?
I'm in :wink:
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Some thoughts:

Spence gave his all and I commend him for that. In the second half he looked more settled than in the first half and he made some important tackles. This said, if wigan had profited from all the space he gave their players in the 1st half and all the open looks that came at his expense, we all would be saying different things about his performance. He needed to make his PL debut in a game in which the rest of the back four had been settled and playing together. Instead, he is taken from a ccc team, and thrown in a muddled backline with only a week or so of practice with our first team.
I get the idea of throwing on the kids and up and comers if the regular starters aren't playing well in order to send a message, but if grant wanted to do this, the time to do it was weeks even months ago. He missed his chance. I think we would have been much better off putting one of Upson or Da Costa in the starting lineup with tomks at RB.

Hines came out and put in an effort, but why do we get in a policy of dropping players who have done a good bit to earn a spot after good performances. I don't think sears has done anything to warrant getting, and he's proven to do better in one of the wide positions than hines has...

Most disturbingly, we never really came to play this game. The scoreline flattered us. We came up to wigan and from the beginning just let them dominate us as if they were barcelona. We never looked as if we were trying to play football, and this is really inexcusable in this sort of game. Over the course of the season, how many 2 goal leads have we lost doing this?

We had a lineup of players out that weren't used to playing together and really had no business playing the formation we were. The fact that we could not get into any sort of rhythm during this game, against one of the league's worst sides seems a bit telling of this. I've heard some saying "credit to wigan, they fought back to keep their season alive," but i don't know how accurate this is. They didn't really fight back per say, they just kept punishing us all game and happened to finally get the goals they deserved much earlier on.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Not sure if its been mentioned, but a big big big well done to all the fans who made it up there

loud and proud :thup:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

NedN wrote:Some thoughts:

Spence gave his all and I commend him for that. In the second half he looked more settled than in the first half and he made some important tackles. This said, if wigan had profited from all the space he gave their players in the 1st half and all the open looks that came at his expense, we all would be saying different things about his performance. He needed to make his PL debut in a game in which the rest of the back four had been settled and playing together. Instead, he is taken from a ccc team, and thrown in a muddled backline with only a week or so of practice with our first team.
I get the idea of throwing on the kids and up and comers if the regular starters aren't playing well in order to send a message, but if grant wanted to do this, the time to do it was weeks even months ago. He missed his chance. I think we would have been much better off putting one of Upson or Da Costa in the starting lineup with tomks at RB.

Hines came out and put in an effort, but why do we get in a policy of dropping players who have done a good bit to earn a spot after good performances. I don't think sears has done anything to warrant getting, and he's proven to do better in one of the wide positions than hines has...

Most disturbingly, we never really came to play this game. The scoreline flattered us. We came up to wigan and from the beginning just let them dominate us as if they were barcelona. We never looked as if we were trying to play football, and this is really inexcusable in this sort of game. Over the course of the season, how many 2 goal leads have we lost doing this?

We had a lineup of players out that weren't used to playing together and really had no business playing the formation we were. The fact that we could not get into any sort of rhythm during this game, against one of the league's worst sides seems a bit telling of this. I've heard some saying "credit to wigan, they fought back to keep their season alive," but i don't know how accurate this is. They didn't really fight back per say, they just kept punishing us all game and happened to finally get the goals they deserved much earlier on.

Please Stop.

I take your point on Spence, however, Hines was utter gash today. "He came out and put in an effort". That is the least a professional team should expect. Today has made me an ardent opponant of offering the man a contractual extension.
upton girlie

Post by upton girlie »

upton girlie wrote:Brighton next season...Fancy a 'Girls Only' weekend bender/social gathering?
hammerdivone wrote:I'm in :wink:
Good. We will need a driver...
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

upton girlie wrote:Good. We will need a driver...
Well obviously you would if it was all Girls....
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Het-Field wrote:
Please Stop.

I take your point on Spence, however, Hines was utter gash today. "He came out and put in an effort". That is the least a professional team should expect. Today has made me an ardent opponant of offering the man a contractual extension.
Bullsh*t, he done more in 90 mins today than that c*** Keane has done since minute 4 of the Villa Game..
upton girlie

Post by upton girlie »

hammerdivone wrote:
Well obviously you would if it was all Girls....
Behave, you old fart.
You will be invited providing you obey the dress code... :wink:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

[quote="Pop Robson"]Hines starting an important game, who's idea was that :?[/quoute

to much indecision with our strikers, were given no chance of forming partnershios/understanding on the pitch, can't keep chopping and changing hoping for something to work.
You also can't keep asking strikers to play on the wings, then relying on them to defend and help out our full backs. They have not been trained how to do this job. Time after time our full backs have been hung out to dry, man utd, bolton, villa, blackburn, today etc
Fortunate to be 2-0 up, should have grabbed it both hands and shut up shop, not turned it into a cup final by allowing it to be so open.
Sunday league management has cost us, Hines has pace and a will to run the other way, this doesn't happen much anymore, the club should do everything to keep him
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

upton girlie wrote:Behave, you old fart.
You will be invited providing you obey the dress code... :
In that case then you will need RARS :lol:
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

On the train. Glad we went. Come on you Irons! Our fans are top draw. I might create some more insightful thoughts in the morning. It's beer o'clock.
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

I'd love to write about the game, but I can't.

Just can't be bothered with it anymore.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Bullsh*t, he done more in 90 mins today than that **** Keane has done since minute 4 of the Villa Game..
I thought Hines was disappointing today, a lot of running but not much else. His crosses were passes to the keeper, he ran into traffic often and ignored the simple pass, and didn't protect the ball which led to the second goal (although he was a bit unlucky when he did track back). Also seemed incapable of striking a ball from distance.

Any explanation as to why he played over Sears?
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

The party was sort of ruined by us doing so well in the first half. When we were 2-0 up and Brum were 2-0 down, the party atmosphere stopped and was replaced by 'oh f***, we could actually do this' and a bit of nerves. Never quite recovered.

Still a decent day. f*** staying in the league. We all knew deep down we were gone. Today was all about saying goodbye to Green and Parker and singing as loud as we could. Definitely did that. Couldn't help grinning a little bit as I left even. We've got such a great set of fans. Always amazing to be part of it.

By the by, pitch invasion when you're in 18th = the epitome of smalltime.

With the possible exception of playing music after goals and having about 20 people try a Poznan. What a joke that club is. Hope they come down with us. :lol:
joyful

Post by joyful »

Brighton next season...Fancy a 'Girls Only' weekend bender/social gathering?
of course. And as it's Brighton, we'll be perfectly safe... :)
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Just back - the best thing about the day was the support, and the second best the drive home. There wasn't a third...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

bubbles1966 wrote:"Connor Sammon yet sto score since January move"

Is everyone lumping their mortgage on that changing? :lol:
As the second half kicked off