West Ham Utd 0 Cardiff City 1 (07/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Cardiff City: match thread

Post by Westbourne Bill »

A game that confirmed the known limitations of Ilunga and Sears and the lack of a quality finisher. I've absolutely no doubt BFS will address all three issues before the window shuts.

Despite that - I thought there were a lot of positives ...and less evidence of "hoofball" than we sometimes saw under Grant.
Finishing Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Finishing Hammer »

The Moth wrote:Truely ridiculous comment
Fail. Didn't substantiate fact 8-)
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2634 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

Can anyone explain why we seemed to stop Taylor taking corners and instead have Sears do it instead? I really didn't understand it.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

Westbourne Bill wrote:A game that confirmed the known limitations of Ilunga and Sears and the lack of a quality finisher.
Sadly, this. It was also obvious to everyone in the ground and though you will not hear Sam or the board say it, they will be thinking it and trying to something about it.

I reckon Faubert would have started ahead of Sears if he had been fit though.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

I think Sears had some bad luck. He tried a lot of things which did not work and his confidence went a little bit. He needs a couple of good games to get his pecker up. We should have won if we would have taken our chances, we didn't but I didn't think there was too much to worry about in terms of our ability to win games at this level.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Finishing Hammer wrote:
Fail. Didn't substantiate fact 8-)
O.k then, are you seriously saying your first thaught concerned what people thaught about cardiffs tactics in relation to BFS "hoofball" perceptions? If you did you reallyneed to get out more.

Like most my first thaught was "****ing hell weve lost! Gutted".

Secondly, who gives a **** about cardiff and how they play?!
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

west ham15 wrote: This will make your day even better, The last time we won a competitive match was against Stoke @ home and we won 3 - 0

Back in March!
:?

Yeah, cheers!
Finishing Hammer

The Moth wrote:O.k then, are you seriously saying your first thaught concerned what people thaught about cardiffs tactics in relation to BFS "hoofball" perceptions? If you did you reallyneed to get out more.

Like most my first thaught was "f***ing hell weve lost! Gutted".

Secondly, who gives a sh*t about cardiff and how they play?!
Oh and here I thought you were going to debate the main thrust of my point (how ironic it was that Cardiff played an aerial game and and it seemed to go unnoticed here), instead you questioned and ridiculed my thoughts. Even I can't justify and rationalise my thoughts so good luck with that :lol:
TheGavnor
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

EvilC wrote:Can anyone explain why we seemed to stop Taylor taking corners and instead have Sears do it instead? I really didn't understand it.
I only recall Searsy taking the one corner. However speaking of the lad, i thought his performance was extremely timid. Almost seemed scared to try and take players on. Many times in advanced positions he seemed to slow down and just wanted to offload the ball rather than run with it.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

EvilC wrote:Can anyone explain why we seemed to stop Taylor taking corners and instead have Sears do it instead? I really didn't understand it.
Probably because Taylors corners kept going to the front man everytime
Finishing Hammer

And you should give a s**t how Cardiff (and every other team play) as it sets a precedent for how other teams are likely to play against us at home.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Explain to me the irony of cardiff playing some long balls?

Away from home at west ham in the first game of the season up against a five man midfield like ours,hardly surprising is it?
Finishing Hammer

The Moth wrote:Explain to me the irony of cardiff playing some long balls?

Away from home at west ham in the first game of the season up against a five man midfield like ours,hardly surprising is it?
No worries, happy to help. My point was that a portion of posters have been concerned (as it was not considered the West Ham way) that ever since BFS took the reins that WHU would resort to playing long balls . I thought it 'ironic' that Cardiff played exactly how others didn't want us to play ... and they won using that tactic. Of equal importance is that no-one questioned/criticised Cardiff for it ... yet it seems beneath us.

Too long a bow?
ccfcwelshlad

Post by ccfcwelshlad »

The Moth wrote:Explain to me the irony of cardiff playing some long balls?

This.

We won't play like that much during this season, it doesn't suit our players. But with your midfield three yesterday, it was important to just try and by-pass your midfield if possible. The long ball gave us the ability to do that.
SouthWalesHammer

Post by SouthWalesHammer »

I thought there were plenty of positives from yesterday. When we played the ball along the floor nearly every time we ended up with a chance. I also thought Reid and Tomka played very well together and that Joey O'Brien looks like a fantastic free signing. Thought Fat Sam made his subs at the perfect time aswell. With a bit more luck we could have won that 2-0, I'm still very optimistic for this season :thup:
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Finishing Hammer wrote:
No worries, happy to help. My point was that a portion of posters have been concerned (as it was not considered the West Ham way) that ever since BFS took the reins that WHU would resort to playing long balls . I thought it 'ironic' that Cardiff played exactly how others didn't want us to play ... and they won using that tactic. Of equal importance is that no-one questioned/criticised Cardiff for it ... yet it seems beneath us.

Too long a bow?
Christ you talk some *****.

People on here are more bothered about our own limitations to worry about cardiffs gameplan (which you could also call 'winning football' :think: )

They were there for the taking and we couldnt find that killer instinct. As usual. If we need to get our own house in order, if we do that we wont have to worry about how other teams set up.

By the way my concerns about Allardyce was not "hoofball" as its been tagged but percentage football (relying on set pieces to score etc) and negative tactics like one up front at home.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 223 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

May as well chuck my two penneth in...

Taylor and O'Brien looked like great prospects. O'Brien had a fantastic first half, let down by a couple of lazy long balls second half.

Nolan, Noble and Parker were all very quiet. Tomkins and Reid looked solid enough, pleased for Reid to get a decent game under his belt!

The one up front wasn't working, Piq was far too isolated. The lone striker needs to be better at holding up play (carew?) or needs faster support (Nolans fitness!).

Illunga...Decent game but still not a fan...he's far too unpredictable. Sears had a poor game.

Dissappointing result but hopefully it'll act as a real expectation leveller. Onwards and upwards.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Like DC, I don't think we "battered" Cardiff at all.
We DID have some good periods of possession and were provided with two or three moments of quality by Taylor and O'Brien
(well done, BFS, for signing them). Mostly, though, we had little penetration in the final third: Sears was disappointing,
Piquionne was statuesque, Nolan was anonymous.
Cardiff defended resolutely, had some good possession and their forwards had the pace to run the channels effectively.
A draw would have been a fair result.

My only criticism of BFS is that he made his substitutions far too late.
Mr.Miklosko

Post by Mr.Miklosko »

Westbourne Bill wrote:A game that confirmed the known limitations of Ilunga and Sears and the lack of a quality finisher.
:thup: Concise and very accurate.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

We were comfortable throughout the match.

We created plenty of chances including: hitting the bar, a messed up 1 on 1 and a header cleared off the line, with Nolan a gnat's foreskin away from breaking the deadlock, as well as Barerra not getting enough purchase on a header 6 yards from goal.

Our defence looked good, all 5 were solid.

Our midfield were a little immobile, our attackers a little isolated, which generally enforced the way we played the ball.

Each of the above 2 components aren't the problem, per se, it's just that there's no creative, dynamic player to link the two.

We need a deep forward, advanced midfielder to buzz about linking things up, or we need to play 2 up top.

Again, we need to sell Scott Parker as soon as possible to anyone that offers £6m-£7m and he is willing to go there and use the money to finance the deal for said player.

Nothing to worry about really. We were comfortable throughout, barring 2 stupid mistakes. **** happens.

Onwards to the next match.