West Ham Utd 0 Cardiff City 1 (07/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

carnage
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Cardiff City: match thread

Post by carnage »

the pink palermo wrote:I still think we battered them .

I'm going to watch it agin now, just to check .
Bumble is that you?

We lost, but it had nothing to do with the tactics. On most other days we would have won that game. Cardiff did to is what we did to Arsenal a few years ago, smash and grab away win.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

carnage wrote: We lost, but it had nothing to do with the tactics..
I'm not too sure about that. The midfield were too far away from the striker and Sam made his subs too late imo. Piq and Sears should of come off for Cole and Barerra around the 60-65 minute mark

Saying that, 451/433 is my preferred formation if played right
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

lots of contradicting points throughout some of which are deeper points imo;

ilunga played well and was largely responsible for us conceding the goal that lost the game - ilunga looked good going forward, as he did in his first season here. he has never and never will imo be a solid defender. but it depends what we want this season - if we want a rampaging full back then we will concede the odd goal through simple bad defending. if we want a solid left back we will not have forward runs like ilunga did - any full backs that good will not be in the championship imo

parker didn't play worse than the tail end of the season imo. difference was that we had keane, ba, obinna etc adding a little bit going forward so his lack of creativity and vision stuck out more imo. i do think he needs to move on though - we need the cash, he clearly wants to go and his selection casts a shdow over the midfield that will stop us developing a real strong link up/understanding between noble, nolan and collison imo. nolan in particular seemed to be looking for parker's reassurance continually throughout the game which seemed odd

main concern for me was that ilunga, nolan, parker, piq and collison all looked worringly unfit. add to that carew likely to take weeks to get match fit it's a slightly surprising start for Sam. few people making excuses about the players getting used to playing with each other should take note that cardiff had 8 players who weren't playing in their team in the play offs last season.

sears wasn't great but i suspect he's 2nd choice right mid behind faubert (and O'Neil if/when he gets fit). if we are going to assasinate every player that steps in when our first teamers are injured/suspended it's going to be a long season

if west ham had miller and earnshaw up front we would have won the game by a couple of goals.....imo
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

hammer1975 wrote:if west ham had miller and earnshaw up front we would have won the game by a couple of goals.....imo
Earnshaw is and always has been ****. Never rated him. I would have been under chuffed had we signed him.
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

true, but did you not feel that every time cardiff went forward you were nervous yet after 60 minutes you felt we could play 2 or 3 games on the trott and struggle to score? I know that's how I felt. people talk about final ball and 'creativity' in the final third. i think that's a misonomer - we have the players with the vision, we simply don't have the movement to create the space for the pass. in that sense both earnshaw and miller would add something to our side that we currently don't have and would therefore make us less one dimensional - even if we'd have to dump them promptly at the end of this season

Ba last season was a revelation for us for that reason imo
Last edited by hammer1975 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

I know what you mean but I've just never rated Earnshaw. Watched him several times for Wales and although playing in a struggling international team he failed to inspire.
I still think we need an instinctive goalscorer. A Tony Cottee/Michael Owen sort of player.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Earnshaw has been a quality Championship goal scorer over the years. No doubt
D C
Has liked: 1094 likes
Total likes: 1431 likes

Post by D C »

He scores goals but I would be so ****ing frustrated if he played for us. He shots at every oppertunity even when its ridiculous angles hes incapable of scoring from or when there is a better pass on. He is also always offside.

Would score goals, but that wouldnt out weigh the frustration.
Rode one wrong

Post by Rode one wrong »

hammer1975 wrote:ilunga played well and was largely responsible for us conceding the goal that lost the game - ilunga looked good going forward, as he did in his first season here. he has never and never will imo be a solid defender. but it depends what we want this season - if we want a rampaging full back then we will concede the odd goal through simple bad defending. if we want a solid left back we will not have forward runs like ilunga did - any full backs that good will not be in the championship imo
I thought he played very well. I was particularly impressed in the second half when he tracked right across field from LB to RB to cut out a very dangerous situation when every other defender was hopelessly out of position upfield. If he didn't play so well for most of the game we could easily have lost by a couple more.

Its the same with our attackers, many are saying Nolan's miss cost us the game but the two worst misses were Sear's ballooning shot after O'Brien's brilliant run cut through the entire left side of Cardiff's defence and Piquionne's absurd unmarked header from 3 metres out when all he had to do was get the ball on target and it was more likely a goal than not. Instead he dips his head, looks like he closes his eyes and it bounces off the top of his head almost straight up in the air and miles over the bar. These are not the actions of players that are going to score too many goals this season and hardly conducive to Sam's apparent desire for players to hoof the ball high into the box.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Are you really trying to tell me that you'd rather have Kenny Miller in our team over Carlton? Yes, Cole may not be brilliant, but it streets ahead of Miller imo. How he's managed to get a job in the 2nd Division is an absolute joke, he's taking liberties with them. Worst striker i've seen at UP for a while.
Scottish football. :thdn:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Are you really trying to tell me that you'd rather have Kenny Miller in our team over Carlton? Yes, Cole may not be brilliant, but it streets ahead of Miller imo. How he's managed to get a job in the 2nd Division is an absolute joke, he's taking liberties with them. Worst striker i've seen at UP for a while.
Scottish football. :thdn:
Did you just say that Kenny Miller's the worst Striker you've seen at UP for a while or did i read that wrong ??
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

miami-hammer wrote:OZZ, match thread and all that, but you wer'nt off the mark with your assessment. That was all i was trying to say. It may all have been pie n mash since Allardyce and Nolan joined, but today we know a lot of work and
effort has to be put in. Talk in the press is cheap and means nothing.

Cheers. :)
-
All good miami, shame the Aldershot game was cancelled really, could have been the perfect game to get some confidence in the players.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

lukeWHU wrote:I said to my old man at half time that if anyone was going to make a mistake it would be Illunga. He always makes one almightly balls up at some stage. Was probably a contender for MOM up to the 92 minute. He is a liability.
-
One question : How can a player be a contender for MOM also be a liability.....hopefully as you say that was his one mistake for the season.

Bridge had an absolute mare against Le Arse last season and was pretty much solid for the rest of the loan period.

My 2 cents. :D
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

OzzHammer wrote:-
One question : How can a player be a contender for MOM also be a liability.....hopefully as you say that was his one mistake for the season.
1 ) He can't be a contender fro MOTM because he IS a liabilty.

2 ) It won't be.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

D C wrote:He scores goals but I would be so f***ing frustrated if he played for us. He shots at every oppertunity even when its ridiculous angles hes incapable of scoring from or when there is a better pass on. He is also always offside.

Would score goals, but that wouldnt out weigh the frustration.
-
Errrr, isn't it a law of percentages, the more shots taken, the chances are something is going to go in......if he is a striker why wouldn't he be shooting at every opportunity ?? Headbanger
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: 1 ) He can't be a contender fro MOTM because he IS a liabilty.

2 ) It won't be.
-
Exactly my point Bobby, lukeWHU was saying he thought Ilunga was a contender for MOM, then says he is a liability......one or the other.
Hammer81

Post by Hammer81 »

Earnshaw and Miller are the type of poachers we need i think. The type who gets half a yard in the box and sticks it away.

To be fair, Earnshaw offers more than that. He's been a very good championship striker over the years.

I'm a bit worried we're going to attempt to play the bolton style of play. One big man up front. 5 in midfield. Lump it to him.

EG, For John Carew read Kevin Davies.

Might be ok for away games when we need to stifle a game...but at home?
Rode one wrong

Post by Rode one wrong »

01 Green - 6, played very well all game with some exceptional saves only marred at the end
02 Reid - 6 didn't do too much wrong and certainly seems better suited to the championship than the PL
05 Tomkins - 6 did well most of the game but did go missing at some crucial moments, clearly first choice though
17 O'Brien - 7 excellent debut, showed some great skill and intelligence, tore Cardiff apart more than once
23 Ilunga - 6 great comeback, played very well and intelligently kept Cardiff at bay for 89 minutes while doing more than his fair share of attack.
04 Nolan - 6 another good debut, will prove to be an exceptional acquisition
08 Parker - 5 not interested, upset at Nolan's arrival and his own eclipse, wants away, or doesn't want to get injured, take your pick
14 Taylor - 7 another very impressive debut and deserved MOTM with his all round play
16 Noble - 5 did some things OK but gave away possession far too cheaply putting us under unnecessary pressure far too often
19 Sears - 4 terrible, don't know why every manager we have places him at RW, he's far too lightweight and timid to make an effective winger in a 5 man midfield. If he's going to play at all, up front in a 4-4-2 would seem to be much more sensible, better yet start on the bench and bring him in when we have run down the opposition somewhat
30 Piquionne - 4 played like a piquionne usually plays, 'nuff said.

Collison 74, Cole 75 and Barrera 82 - should all have been brought on much earlier as our play sparked up considerably when they came on.

Allardyce - 5 Got the subs late but right, but not sure of the formation or the tactics. Like the team, got a ways to go yet.
wewe100
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by wewe100 »

How anyone can slag off Noble after this game is beyone me, had his best game in a long while i thought and i dont really rate the lad. Was only the first game though, not too much to get worried about...yet.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Think that some people have a hard on for him and he won't ever make 'em say he played well. He made some excellent passes, his right foot cross from the left was a great delivery, not sure it was the one that Tomkins headed just had the keeper save it at the (then) near post). How Parker got the same mark when "not interested, upset at Nolan's arrival and his own eclipse, wants away, or doesn't want to get injured, take your pick" I really have no clue. Worked so hard had to (looked like to me anyway) have ran out of steam, which is hardly surprising seeing Parker, Sears and Nolan did pretty much naff all.